‹‹‹ prev (663)

(665) next ›››

(664)
600 BALLINGKY.
Park James A. schoolmaster, School house
Paterson James, grocer, & post office,
Glencraig
Shaw William, registrar of births, mar-
riages & deaths, inspector of poor & col-
lector of rates, G-lencraig
FARMERS.
Anderson W. & R. Wester Cartmore
Drysdale Janet, Inchgall
Liddell William John N. Navitie
Paton C. & M. Kirkland & Tushillaw
Robertson Robert, Rosewell
Stewart Hugh, Lumphinans
Wilson John, Glencraig
BALMERINO, or Ealmerinoch (pro-
nounced Balmernie), is a parish lying op
the south bank of the firth of Tay, and ex-
tending 4 miles from east to west by 2£
broad; its kirktown is about 5 miles west
of .Newport; the parish is bounded east by
Forgan, west by Flisk and Creech and south
by Kilmany, and is in the small debt court
district of Cupar-Fife. The harbour of Bal-
merino is small, and at one time a consider-
able quantity of grain was exported from it,
but this trade has- now declined. To the
west, and on the banks of the Tay, stands
the ancient village of Balmerino, adjacent
to which are the ruins of the once famed
abbey, a beautiful structure, begun by Alex-
ander II. and his mother, Ermengarde,
queen of William the Lion and daughter of
Richard, Viscount of Bellomont, in 1229.
These ruinsi are richly clothed with ivy and
surrounded with some fine trees. The near-
est railway station is at Wormit, on the Leu-
chars and Tay Bridge section of the North
British line, about 3 miles distant. Gauldry,
a small village in the above parish, is about
4 miles south-west from Newport. Here is
a Board school and Free church. The as-
pect of the county is of an undulating char-
acter, and agricultural. This place once
conferred a peerage title on the Elphin-
stone family, lords Balmerinoch, but the
title became extinct on the death of Arthur,
sixth lord, who was beheaded 18 Aug.
1746, for his participation in the rising of
1745. Mrs. Anstruther-Duncan, of Naugh-
ton House, and Henry Scrymgeour-Wedder-
turn esq. of Birkhill, are the principal
landowners. The area comprises 3,431
acres; rateable value, £8,611; the popula-
tion in 1891 being 688, and in 1901,- 576.
Post Office, Gauldry; Andrew Husband,
postmaster. Letters received through
Wormit R.S.O. arriving at 11.30 a.m. &
6 p.m. & are dispatched at 6 a.m. & 4
p.m. Postal Orders are issued & paid
here. The nearest money order & tele-
graph office is at Kilmany
Wall Letter Box, Balmerino, cleared at 6.30
a.m. & 4 p.m
PARISH COUNCIL.
Chairman, Henrv S. Wedderburn J.P
Clerk. Walter Scott
Inspector of Poor & Collector of Rates,
Walter Scott
Registrar of Births, Marriages & Deaths.
Thomas C. Barrie
PLACES OF WORSHIP.
Established Church, Balmerino, Rev. James
Campbell D.D
United Free Church, Gauldry, Rev. Thomas
Crichton M.A
SCHOOL BOARD.
Chairman, Henry S. Wedderburn J.P
Clerk & Treasurer, Walter Scott
Board School, Gauldry, Thomas C. Barrie,
master
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Anstruther-Duncan Mrs. Naughton house
Brymer Thomas, Kirkton house
Campbell Rev. James D.D. (Established)
Cricbton Rev. Thomas M.A. (U. F. C),
Gauldry
Scry mge our- Wedderburn Henry D.L., J.P.
Birkhill, hereditary Royal Standard-
bearer of Scotland
COMMERCIAL.
Anderson William, Gauldry Arms inn
Barrie Thomas C. schoolmaster, registrar of
births, deaths & marriages for Balmerino
parish, Gauldry
Clark Jessie (Mrs.), grocer, Gauldry
Graham Christopher, boot & shoe maker,
Byres
Henderson George, grocer, Kirkton
Husband Andrew, grocer & postmaster,
Gauldry
Kirkaldy Robert, grocer, Gauldry
Murdoch David, blacksmith, Gauldry
FIFESHIEE,
[slater's
Scott Jane & Isabella (Misses), grocers,
Kirkton
Scott Walter, joiner, clerk to parish council,
clerk & treasurer to school board, inspec-
tor of poor & collector of rates for Bal-
merino parish, Gauldry
Steel Robert, joiner & millwright, Gauldry
Wilson Samuel, Balmerino inn
FARMERS.
Bathie Peter, Thornton
Blyth Peter, farm steward to Mrs.
Anstruther-Duncan, Home farm
Findlay William, Little Inch
Graham Alexander, Priory
Gray David, Gauldry
Gray James. Nether Kirkton
Harley Edward (trustees of), Peasehills
Hutchison Charles, Coultra
Johnstone Samuel, Fincraigs
Kellock George. Balmerino
Kidd David & John, Ballindean
Melville David, Grange
Melville James & Alexander, Coultra
Taylor Peter, Botfcomcraig
Thomson Thomas, Kilburns
BALMULLO, see Leuchars.
BEATH is a parish about 4 miles north to
south, and about 3 in breadth; its bound
aries are — on the west, Dunfermline ; on the
east, BaUingry and Auchterderran ; on the
north. Cleish (Kinross-shire); on the south,
Aberdour and Dalgetty; it is in the par-
liamentary division of West Fife, poor
combination and small debt court district
of Dunfermline, and contains the police
burgh of Cowdenbeath, and the villages of
Kelty, Lassodie and Oakfield, a small part
of Kelty being in Kinross. The ground is
hilly, and is watered by the Kelty and a
stream which flows from Loch Fitty, a
shallow lake on the western boundary.
Several collieries are in active operation,
and give employment to most of the inhabit-
ants. The North British railway has sta-
tions on its Dunfermline and Kinross section
at Cowdenbeath and Kelty, and the same
company's Bection from Thornton Junction
to Dunfermline runs through Cowdenbeath
station. The principal landowners are
the Earl of Moray, Sir Charles Elphinstone
Adam bart. of Blairadam, Kinross, James
Dewar esq. and the Fife Coal Company
Limited. The area of the parish is 6,345
acres; rateable value in 1903, £46,527;
population in 1891, 8,298, and in 1901,
15,812. The population of Kelty in 1901
was 3,986 (including 158 in Kinross) ; Las-
sodie, 1,293; and Hill of Beath, Kirkford
and Bleachfield, 1,332.
Kelty and Oakfield are villages in this
parish, and adjoin Blairadam, in Kinross-
shire,, each about 2£ miles' from Cowden-
beath, and the former has a station on the
Kinross branch of the North British railway.
At Kelty are the collieries of the Fife Coal
Company Limited. There are two Free
churches and a Presbyterian church.
Lassodie is a colliery village in the parish
of Beath, 4£ miles distant from Dunferm-
line, its post town, and has a Free church
and a public school. Population in 1891,
853.
Asmall part of Lumphinans village, in-
cluding the post office, is in this parish.
Cautsdam (including Ashfield and View-
field Rows) form a village in the parish;
population in 1901, 495. Foulford Place
and Road is also a village; population in
1901, 364.
Post, T-, M. O. O. & S. B. & A. & I. O.
Kelty; Cbarles G. Guthrie, sub-post-
master. Letters through Blairadam S.O.
Kinross-shire. Letters dispatched at 5.30
a.m. & 3.45 & 5.45 p.m
Post & T. 0. Lassodie; Robert Thomson,
sub-postmaster. Letters through Dun-
fermline, which is the nearest money
order' office. Delivery, 11.15 a.m.; dis-
patch, 1.55 p.m. Postal Orders are issued
here, but not paid
Post, M. 0., S. B. & A. & I. 0. Lum-
phinans ; Mrs. Margaret Beveridge, sub-
postmistress. Letters are dehvered from
Cowdenbeath, which is the nearest tele-
graph office, £ mile distant. Dispatches
at 5.30 & 11.20 a.m. & 2.50 & 7.20 p.m
Letters for Oakfield received through Blair-
adam S.O. Kinross-shire
Parish Council & Rate Offices, Beath, Geo.
Terris, clerk & inspector of poor, col-
lector & registrar of births, deaths &
marriages, Cowdenbeath
Constabulary Station, Kelty, John Stcachan
& William Murray, constables
Constabulary Station, Lassodie, John Wan-
liss, constable l
FLACH& OF" WORSHIP.
Established Churches: —
Beath, Rev. John Sinclair
Kelty, (vacant)
United Free Churches : —
Kelty, Rev. William Stephen
Lassodie, Rev. James W. Duncan M.Ai
Kelty, Rev. James Dinwoodie
SCHOOL BOARIh
Chairman, James Terris J.P'
Clerk, John Ross
Schools : —
Kelty, James Cald'er, master
Lassodie. William Drysdale, master
CONVEYANCE BY RAILWAY,
On the Dunfermline & Kinross branch^
Station, Kelty, Jas. Diack, station masters
Beath.
Sinclair Rev. John (Estab.), Beath manse
Heggie & Livingstone, bleachers, Beati>
bleachfield
FARMERS.
Black Peter, Lochend
Brown Mrs. Adam, Moss green
Collier John, B la ire n bathie
Dewar James, Lassodie & Wbinnyhall
Dougall John, Lassodie mill & Wlndyedgs-.
Fife Coal Co. Limited, Shiels & Hilton
Fulton Adam, Netherton
Harvey David, Cowdenbeath
Hutton Charles, Muirton
Reir John & Adam, Dullomuir
Keir John, Kelty hill
Kerr John, Hill of Beath
M'Donald Andrew, Druranagoil & Norton*
Mackenzie George, Cocklaw mains
Miller John, Moss side
Sinclair John (reps, of), Leuchatsbeatfa
Thomson William, jun. Kirkton
Young William, Swinton's beath
Kelty.
Dinwoodie Rev. James (U. F)
Stephen Rev. William, United Free Churcfc
manse
COMMERCIAL.
Adger James, painter
Aitken Baths (Alex. Terris, see)
Armstrong John, joiner
Boswell John, boot dealer
Brown James, Blairadam tavern
Corio Lorenzo, fruiterer & confectioner -
Cowie James, joiner
Dick James, grocer & spirit dealer
Don & Marshall, painters
Dundas Peter W. draper
Dunn James, shopkeeper
Eardley & Co. grocers
Fife (The) Coal Co. Lim. ;head office,Leveru
Forrester James, cycle agent
Gillbspie & Co. fruiterers
Gordon Edward, chemist
Guthrie Charles G. tobacconist, confectioner
& postmaster
Hoy Charles, chemist
Hunter Frederick, fruiterer
Irvine John, blacksmith
Keir David, boot maker
Kelty Co-operative Society Limited (James?
Haugh, mgr. ; James- Cruickshanks, sec>
Kelty Public House Society Lim. spirit dlrs?.-
Laing James, Crown inn & batcher
McLaren Andrew, fruiterer
Mann Henry, confectioner
Mark George, watch maker
'tfiMiell John, clerk. Hilton
Mitchie William, tailor
Moray Institute & Library (Robert Short-
house, sec)
Murray George, hair dresser
Nisbet & Morton, slaters & plasterers
Ord Alexander H. watch maker
Penman William, stationer & fancy repos*
Reid William John, Glen tavern
Ritchie John, plumber
Smart Alexander, baker
Stewart Thomas, grocer & spirit dealer
Terris Colin & Alex, market gardeners.
& fruiterers
Tough Joseph, slater & plasterer
Turbayne Ann (Mrs.), grocer & spirit dhr
Wa£son George, mineral water manfr
Wilson George, fruiterer & confectioner
Wood George. Oakfield hotel
Wyse Colin, Oakfield inns
Lassodie.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS - .
Brownlie John J.P. Greenbank house
Duncan Rev. James W., M.A. United Free
Church manse
Dewar Colonel James J.P. Lassodie house

Images and transcriptions on this page, including medium image downloads, may be used under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence unless otherwise stated. Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence