‹‹‹ prev (602)

(604) next ›››

Tait Robert, butcher, St. John's road
Terrace Andrew, butcher, High street
Thompson & Sons, fruiterers, St. John's rd
Thomson Alexander J. market gardener,
St. John's road
Thomson Robert G. market gardener, Gib-
sou lodge, High street
Waddell George B. news agent & tobac-
conist, 9 Ormiston terrace
Walker Thomas, blacksmith
Wallace John G. tailor, High street
Woierter Fred & Son, grocers & tea dealers,
St. John's road & Cross place
Weston David, wheelwright, Kirk loan
Wight Jn.joiner.builder & undrtkr. Manse rd
Wightman Thomas, contractor
Wilson John & Agnes, coal, lime & brick
merchants, Saughton road
Allan William, Redheughs & Gogar green
Buchan J. & A. Corstorphine bank
Davidson James I. Saughton mains
Elder James, Riddinglaw. Gogar
Hamilton James, Gogar bank
Jack Gavin, North Gyle
Benwick William, Meadowfield
Shaw William, Old Saughton
Smith John, Clermiston mains
Stenhouse John R. South Gyle
Wallace William B. Broomhouse
Young James, East Craigs
Young Charles, Gogar mains
Drybrough Andrew, Gogar park
Dudgeon E. F. Gogar bank
Elder James, Riddinglaw
Slacfie Cland, Gogar burn
Rutherford James, jun. Gogar cottage
Millar Robert, coal merchant
Weston David, blacksmith
COUSLAND, see Cranston.
CRAMOND is a parish and village, 4J
(miles from Edinburgh, and has a terminal
station on the Edinburgh and Cramond Brig
branch of the Caledonian railway : it is in
the small debt court district of Edinburgh;
4he parish, which contalins a small portion
â– of Leith parliamentary burgh, lies on the
south shore of the Firth of Forth, and i
bounded on the west by the river Almond,
the village of Cramond, on the east sfide of
(the creek into which the river falls,
â– known to have been an important Roman
â– â– station. Opposite the mouth of the Almond,
at a short distance from the shore, is
Cramond Island, the property of the Earl
of Rosebery K.G., K.T. which rises with a
gentle slope into a hill of moderate elevation,
and part of it is cultfivated. This place, from
1628, gave the title of baron to the Richard-
son family, of Norfolk, of which was Sir
Thos. Richardson kt. lord chief justice, and
speaker of the House of Commons (d.
1634) ; the peerage is supposed to have
become extinct on the death of William, 5th
baron, 28 July, 1735, bub this is quite open
to doubt. The parish contains the villages
of Cramond, Davidson's Mains (which see)
and the port of Granton, which is included
with Edinburgh. Cramond Bridge, where
is the terminal station of the Caledonian
railway, is situated on the Almond river,
here crossed by a fine stone bridge, con-
nected with a road from Edinburgh to South
Queensferry, 5 miles from the city. Silver
Knowe lis the residence of the Right Hon.
Lord Young; Lauriston Castle, of William
R. Reid esq. and Muirhouse, of John Hy.
Davidson esq. Mr. John Henry Davidson, of
Muirhouse, Capt. Macknight Crawfurd,
Lieut.-Col. J. C. Craigie Halkett and the
Earl of Rosebery E.G., K.T. are the prin-
cipal landowners. The area of the entire
parish is 4,783 acres ; rateable value,
J£30,626 ; the population in 1891 was 3,163,
and in 1901, 3,815, viz. : Mainland, 2,727
and Edinburgh, 1,088. The population of
the ecclesiastical parish, which extends
into Linlithgowshire, in 1901 was 2,224.
By the Secretary for Scotland's Order, No.
34, dated Dec. 17, 1897, that portion of
Edinburgh landward adjoining Cramond
was annexed to it, May 15, 1898.
Post Office, Cramond; Miss Ellen McLaren,
postmistress. Sub-Office (letters should
have S.O. Midlothian added). Deliveries,
6.30 & 3.30 a.m. & 3.30 & 7.20 p.m.;
dispatches, 7 & 8.30 a.m. & 3.20 &
6.30 p.m. Postal orders are issued &
paid here. The nearest money order
telegraph office is at Cramond Bridge,
miles distant
Post, M. 0., T., T. M. 0., E. D. & P. P.,
S. B. & A. & I. 0. Oramond Bridge
(Sub-Office. Letters should have S.O.
Midlothian added). — Miss Annie Brown,
sub-postmistress. Deliveries, 7.30 a.m.
& 2.30 & G.15 p.m.; dispatches, 7.30
a.m. & 1,15, 4.15 & 7.15 p.m
Post, T. & M. O. O. Blackhall (Sub-Office.
Letters should have S.O. Midlothian
added). — Miss Alice Brown, sub-post-
mistress. Deliveries, 7.20 a.m. & 2.45
& 6.45 p.m. ; dispatches, 8.20 a.m. & 4.35
& 9 p.m
Clerk, James G. Tait, Davidson's Mains
Registrar of Births, Deaths & Marriages,
Robert Simpson, Davidson's' Mains
Inspector of Poor & Collector of Rates, Jas.
G. Tait, Davidson's Mains
Police Station, Cramond Bridge,John Came-
ron, officer
Police Station, Fair-a-far, Wm. Baillie,
Established Church, Rev. D. G. D. MitcheU
Roman Catholic Church, Rev. William Far-
quhar, of Queensferry
Mission Hall, Blackhall
Clerk, R. Bell W.S. North Charlotte street,
Board Schools: —
Cramond, for 100 children; average at-
tendance, 57; John Smith, master
Lennie, for 60 children; average attend-
ance, 43; Robert B. Finlayson, master
On the Caledonian Line.
Station, Craiglieth, Jsph. Nixon, stn. mastr
Station, Cramond Bridge, William Hinsel
wood, station master
Marked thus * receive their letters through
Davidson's Mains.
Clark James, The Glebe
Cross Adam P. Craigie hall
•Davidson John Henry, Muirhouse
Haig Mrs. Brooinfield
Hope James Edward, Cramond house
Johnstone Miss, The Glebe
Johnstone Miss, Jane villa
Mackay George, Inveralmond house
Mackay James F. Whitehouse
Morrison William, Rosshill
Murray Alfred A., LL.D. &. W.S. Westfield
Pow Robert, Fernlea, Brae park
Pringle T. M. Almond view, Brae park
Reid William R. Lauriston castle
Ritchie Robert, Brae park
Robertson A. Ireland, Brae park
Scott William, Beechwood, Brae park
Sinclair Mrs. Stella villa
Stenhouse James, Turnhouse
Waddie Charles, Brae park
Weaver Harry, The Glebe
*Young Right Hon. Lord P.O., D.L., J.P.
Silver Knowe; & Brooks's & Athenaaum
chibs, London SW; & New club, Edin
Baillie Henry, coal merchant & contractor,
Cramond village
Brown Andrew, contractor
Clazie Walter, dairyman
Edinburgh Burgess Golfing Society (W. R.
Morton, sec)
Harvey Alexander, contractor, Brae Pk.cot
Kidd Alexander, dairyman, Nether Lennie
Link3ton E. (Mrs.), grocer
Mackay John & Co. gelatine manufrs
Lumley James, spirit dealer,Cramond village
Smith John, schoolmaster & heritors' ses-
sion clerk, School house
Stenhouse James, land valuator, Turnhouse
Cramond Bridge.
Gray Jamea. Braehead Mains
Guild John Erskine W.S. Braehead
Amour John, dairyman
Bell James, smith
Gunn Mary & Annie (Misses), Cramond
Bridge hotel
Kennedy Alexander, Barnton hotel
Weller John, upholsterer & chairmaker
West John (Mrs.), grocer & general dlr.
Cotmuir row
Allison Robert, Lauriston
Amour John, Cramond Bridge
Gray James.Braehead Mains,.CramondBridge
Griuton John;House-o'-Hill,Davidson'sMain3
Henderson Robert, Craigie, Cramond
Hogg James>, Cramond Island
Kidd Alexander, Nether Lennie
Lawrie Thos. Dry'.aw Mains,Davidson'sMns
Mather Matthew. Silver Knowes, Cramond
Fair-a-Far, Davidson's Mains
Stenhouse James, West Pilton farm, David-
son's Mains
Stenhouse James, Turnhouse & Lennie
Mains, Lennie
Taylor Jas. Easter Drylaw, Davidson's Mains
CRANSTON (or Cranstoun) is a parish,
in Dalkeith poor combination and email
debts court district, 5 miles in length
by 3 in breadth, and intersected by the
river Tyne, with Dalkeith and Newbattle
on the north and west, and Crichton on the
south, and is 3 .-miles north from Dalkeith
(the nearest) station on the North British
railway. The land is high and undulating,
but well cultivated. This place, from 1609
to 1869, gave the blt'.e of baron to the Crans-
toun family of Creeling. The last peer
died 28 Sept. 1869, when this* peerage be-
came either dormant or extinct. The
church is an edifice of white freestone, in
the Gothic style. Oxenfoord Castle is the
seat of the Earl of Stair K.T., LL.D. who
is also Baron Oxenfoord of Cousland. Edge-
head, Cotisland and Preston are small vil-
lages in this parish. At Cousland are the
new and extensive works of the Caledonian
Portland Cement Co. Lim. which employs
a number of hands. The area comprises
5,100 acres; rateable value, £3,194; the
population in 1891 was 859, and in 1901,
Post Office, Cousland; Miss Mary M'Alpine,
sub-postmistress. Letters received through
Dalkeith, arrive at 8.30 a.m. & dis-
patched at 1 p.m. Dalkeith is the
nearest money order & telegraph office,
3 miles distant
Chairman, Robert Smith
Clerk, Robert Hanton
Inspector of Poor, Collector of Rates &
Registrar of Births, Deaths & Marriages,
Robert Hanton, Cranston cottage
Established Church, Cranston, Rev. Hugh
Chairman, Thomas Hogg (Oxenford)
Clerk, Robert Hanton
Schools: —
Cousland, Joseph Simpson, master
Cranston, Gavan J. D. Barnes, master
Callander Henry J.P., D.L. Prestonhall
Smith Robert, "Cranatoun-Riddell
Stair Earl of, K.T., LL.D. (lord lieutenant
of Wigtownshire), Oxenfoord castle; &
Brooks's & United Service clubs, Lon-
don SW
Sutherland Rev. Hugh M.A. Cranston
Bain Jn. market gardener, Hadfast, Cousland
Caledonian Portland Cement Co. Limited
(Alfred E. Turner, manager), Cousland;,
T A *' Cement, Dalkeith "
Cockburn James, Stair Arms P.H
Hanton Robert, registrar of births, deaths
& marriages, inspector of poor, Cran-
ston cottage
Jeffrey William, blacksmith, Preston, Ford
McAlpine Mary (Miss), grocer, Cousland
M'Intyre Peter, factor to Henry Callander
esq. J.P., D.L. Preatondene
Molfatb George, market gardener, Coldwells
Simpson James & Wm. joiners, Cousland
Sked Christopher, blacksmith, Cousland
Smith Robert, factor for the Right Hon.
the Earl of Stair K.T. Cranstoun-RiddeU
White Andrew, coal owner, Cousland
Cockburn James, Cranston
Douglas James, Northfield, Cousland
Hogg Thomas, Oxenfoord Mains
McDowalL Thomas N. Remote
Mercer George G. Southfield, Westfield &
Cousland park, Cousland
Nairn William, Edge-heal
Nob'e Mrs. Eliza, Loanhead
Rutherford John, Sauchenside
Weatheratone John, Airfield

Images and transcriptions on this page, including medium image downloads, may be used under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence unless otherwise stated. Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence