‹‹‹ prev (404)

(406) next ›››

(405)
DIRECTORY.]
Henry & McMurtrie, chemists
Ingram William, grocer & draper
Johnston Alexander & Francis, tailors
Johnston Ellen (Miss), shopkeeper, Crovie
Kindness James, horse hirer & carrier
ILaird George, carpenter
McArthur James Irving M.B., C.M. sur-
geon, & parochial medical officer for
King Edward parish
Morrison Alexander, butcher & spirit dlr
Murray William, baker
Murison John Low, watch maker
Nicol George, boot & shoe maker
Nicol James, grocer
Nicolson Jas. T. coal mer. & harbour mast
North of Scotland Bank Limited (branch)
(David Chalmers & William Chalmers,
joint agents) ; draw on Barclay & Co.
Lim. London E C & Union of London &
Smiths Bank Limited, London E C
Northern Agricultural Co. coal merchants
Pyper John, grocer
Bitchie & West, fish curers
Scott Joseph, boot & shoe maker
Shand John, coal merchant
Still William, fish curer
Vardon Alfred Dorriforth L.E.C.P. & S
Edin., L.F.P. & S.Glas. surgeon, &
parochial medical officer & public vac-
cinator for East division of Gamrie parish
Watt Francis, boot maker
Watt Frank (Mrs.), shopkeeper, Crovie
Watt George, grocer
Watt John, fish curer
West & Strachan, salmon fishers & oil-
skin manufacturers
West Samuel, grocer
Wiseman Francis <Jc Benjamin, fish curers
Wiseman & Co. fish curers
GLENLIVET (formed into a quoad
sacra parish in 1865 from Inveravon parish)
is remarkably fertile : the sides of the
river Livet are shaded with copses of birch
and alder, and on the banks of the Avon
there is a considerable extent of oak. The
nearest railway station is at Balhndalloch,
on the Craigellachie and Boat of Garten
branch of the Great North of Scotland
line, about 6 miles north-west. This place
is noted for the excellence of whisky, for
the manufacture of which there is The
Glenlivet Distillery, of which Messrs Geo.
and John Gordon Smith are the proprietors.
Here are the ruins of two castles, one near
the Glenlivet distillery, known as the
•Castle of Blairfindy, and another at
Drumin. Population in 1901 was 1,441.
Post, M. 0. & T. 0. & S. B. Glenlivet;
William Davidson Mackie, sub-postmaster.
Letters through Ballindalloch B.S.O,
Delivery, 1.10 p.m. ; dispatch, 7.40 a.m
Post Office, Achbreck ; Robert Grant, post-
master. Delivery, 1.30 p.m. ; dispatch,
7.20 a.m. Letters should have " Ballin-
dalloch R.S.O. Banffshire " added.
Postal Orders are issued & paid. The
nearest money order & telegraph office
at Glenlivet, 2 miles distant
Post & T. 0. Tomnavoulin. Letters
through Ballindalloch R.S.O. arrive at
1.40 p.m. ; dispatched at 5.40 a.m.
Postal orders are issued and paid. The
nearest money order office is at Glenlivet
Police Station, Achbreck, George Craib,
constable
<6th V. B. Gordon Highlanders (E Co.);
• head quarters 3 Minmore;Capt.Thos. Laing
Established Church, Glenlivet, Rev. Robert
H. Calder M.A
-Chapel of Ease Achinarrow, Bev. Robert
H. Calder M.A
'United Free Church, Glenlivet, Rev. John
Smith
Roman Catholic: —
Chapeltown, Rev. Colin C.Mackenzie,priest
Tombae, Rev. William Stuart, priest
Public Schools: —
Glenlivet, Thomas Laing M.A. master
Morinsh, Donald M'Intosh M'Donald, mast
Tomnavoulin, Miss Maggie Burness, mist
Roman Catholic Schools: —
Chapeltown. John Collins, master
Tombae, Miss Ann Gordon, mistress
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
â– Calder Rev. Robert H., M.A. (Established),
The Manse
Findlay John, The Falls
'Grant Col. George Smith J.P. Minmore
â– Grant William G., J.P. Tomnavoulin
Mackenzie Rev. Colin C. (R.C.), Chapel
house, Chapeltown
Rose Andrew, Bank house
-Skinner William M., J.P. Drumin
Smith Rev. John, TJ. F. C. manse
â– Stuart Rev. Wm. (R.O.),Chapel ho.Tombae
Stuart William J.P. Aehavaich
BANFFSHIRE.
COMMERCIAL.
Boyne James, The Glenlivet distillery
Campbell John, The Pole inn, Knockandhn
Christie Alexander Innes, clerk, Glenlivet
distillery
Davidson Alex, draper & grocer, Drumin
Dawson Charles, boot maker. Bridge end
Dawson William, tailor, Bridge end
Findlay John M.B., C.M. surgeon, & cer-
tifying factory surgeon, The Falls
Forbes William", grocer, Shenval
Grant Donald, forester to the Duke of
Richmond & Gordon, Downan
Grant Peter, horse hirer, Tomnavoulin
Grant Robert, draper & grocer, Achbreck
Grant Robert G. miller, Glenlivet mills
Hanson Christopher, inland revenue officer ;
The Glenlivet distillery
Illingworth Denton, woollen manufacturer;
Tomnavoulin
Innes George, registrar of births, deaths
& marriages, Eastertown
Irvine Alexander, blacksmith
Irvine Wm. blacksmith, Braes of Glenlivet
Macintosh John, miller & farmer, Refreish
mills
M'Kay Robert B. saddler, Downan
Mackenzie John, boot & shoe maker,
Tomnavoulin
Mackenzie Peter, The Glenlivet distillery
Mackie Wm. Davidson, blacksmith, Drumin
Macpherson James, wright, Downan
Maguire Thomas inland revenue officer,
Glenlivet distillery
North of Scotland Bank Limited (Andrew
Rose, agent) ; draw on Union of Londou
GRANGE.
341
partly in the parishes of Aberlour and.
Inveravon. The Established church,
erected in 1812, and rebuilt in 1883 at a-
cost of £1,400, stands in about the centre
of the parish, 5£ miles from Dufftown, and
will seat 220 persons. The Duke of Rich-
mond and Gordon K.G., P.O. and James
Eadie esq. J.P. are the principal land-
owners. Rateable value, £l ,620 ; popu-
lation in 1891, 374, and in 11)01, 337.
Letters for Glenrinnes should have Duff-
town R.S.O. added
6th Volunteer Battalion Gordon Highlanders
(sub-division of F*Co.); head-quarters,
Drill hall; 2nd Lieut. Charles Grant; E-
Reynolds, drill instructor
Registrar of Births, Deaths & Marriages,
Rev. Charles Bruce M.A
Established Church, Rev. Chas. Bruce M.A
SCHOOL BOARD.
Chairman, William M. Skinner, Drumin
Clerk, Rev. Charles Bruce M.A. Glenrinne3
Board School, Stuart Wilson M.A. master
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Bruce Rev Charles M.A. (Established),
The Manse
Eadie James J.P. Glenrinnes lodge
COMMERCIAL.
Bruce Rev. Chas. M.A. registrar of births,
deaths &c. & clerk to school board, The
Manse
Collins John, blacksmith
& Smiths Bank Limited & Barclay & JJ e ?^ rn Alex ander, miller, Mill of Laggan
Co. Limited
Phimister William,
clerk to Inveravon
school board
Rose Andrew, bank agent & collector of
rates, Bank house
Simpson William, butcher, Drumin
Skinner William M., J.P. factor, Drumin
Smith George & John Gordon, The Glen.
livet distillery; T A " Smith, Glenlivet.'
See advertisement
Smith Mary (Mrs.), Craighead inn
Stuart Alexander, miller & millwright,
Chapeltown
Stuart John, draper, grocer & spirit dealer,
Chapeltown
Stuart Robert, mason, "Upper Castleton
Stuart Robert, wrieht, Bridge end
Stuart William (Mrs.), grocer, Downan
Wilkinson Edmund, inland revenue officer,
The Glenlivet distillery
FARMERS IN GLENLIVET DISTRICT.
Bennett George, Deskie
Burgess William G. Tombreckaehie
Cameron Geo. Western Corries & Belloan
Cantlie Alexander, Craggan
Farquharson Robert J. Bogarrow
Gordon Misses Margaret & Catherine,
Lettoch
Gordon William, Netherton
Grant George, Blairfindy
Grant Geo. Smith, Auchorachan & Minmore
Grant William, Hillhead
Grant William, Lynbeg
Grant William G. Tomnavoulin
Leslie Charles, Corshellach & Hilton
M'Donald David, Mains of Morinish
M'Donald John, Achdregnie
M'Donald John, Tullich
M'Donald William (heirs of), Tomnareave
McHardy George, Bolnaclash
M'Hardy James, Thain
Macintosh John, Roadside
M'Kenzie Alexander, Lagavaich
Mackenzie Donald, Claggan
Mathieson Charles, Nether Olashnoir
Rattray Thomas, Tomnalienan
Rattray William, Upper Clashnoir
Sheed Alexander, Upper Coull
Skinner William M. Drumin
Smith Mrs. Charles, Croftbain
Smith James, Nether Coull
Smith Mrs. Mary, Craighead
Stewart George, Easter Achavaich
Stewart William, Croftglass
Stuart James. Nevie
Stuart Robert, Wester Achavaich
Turner William, Achnarrow
Turner William, Knowhead
Macpherson Alexander, grocer
FARMERS.
Baxter Geo. (trustees of), Wester Braigach
Bruce Rev. C. Kirkhill
GLENRINNES is a quoad sacra parish,
formed in 1855 from Aberlour and Mortlach
parishes ; it is about 5 miles in length bv
2£ in breadth, and comprises part of Mort-
lach and part of Aberlour, and is also a
registration district. Dufftown, on the
Great North of Scotland railway, and about
6 miles north-east, is the nearest railway
station, and Aberlour, on the Boat of Gar-
ten branch of the same railway, is about Gh
miles north-west. Ben Rinnes, a hill 2,755
feet in height, is partly in this parish and
Cameron James, Tomnagyloch
Christie Donald, Backshians
Dawson George, Ellivreid
Dawson James, Tomachar
Duncan George, Rhinstochnach
Duncan James, Balmerion
Gauld Alexander, Favillar
Glass James, Milton of Laggan
Grant John, Recletich
Green John, Nether Balandy
Hepburn Alexander, Mill of'Laggan
Innes George, Easter Achmore
Innes John, Wester Achmore
McConachie John, Nether Balandv
McCbnachie William, Upper Balandy
Macdonald Donald, Knockanbeg
McDonald James, Midtown
Mackie John, Achbreck
M'Pherson John (Charles Gordon, man-
ager), Achlochrach
M'Pherson John, Aultbeg
Murray John, Nether Achmore
Shand John, Aultbeg
Smith Charles, Lynemore
Strathdee Robert, Lochterlandoch
Stuart John, Succoth
Tennant Mrs.Margaret, Wester Clashmerloch
GRANGE is a parish 4 miles east from
Keith, with a station on the Keith and
Aberdeen section of the Great North of
Scotland railway, in the small debt court
district of Keith. Edingight House is the-
seat of Sir John Innes bart. Vice-Lieutenant
and J.P. The area is 15,041 acres; rate-
able value, £9,200; papulation in 1891.
1,085, and in 1901, 1,673.
Post & M. O. Office, Parcel Post & S. B.
near Station, Grange; John Cruickshank,
sub-postmaster. Letters arrive through
Keith. Dispatches, 8.30 a.m. & 3.20 p.m.
Telegraph office at Grange Railway
Station
Post «3c M. O. O. & S. B. Cross
Roads, Grange; Alexander McWilliam,
postmaster. Letters arrive through
Keith. Dispatches, 11.30 a.m. & 12 noon.
The nearest telegraph office is at Grange
Railway Station, 3 miles distant
Registrar of Births, Deaths & Marriages,
John Clarke, Croftgibb
Session Clerk, George Donald esq. J.P.
Lady hill
Established Church, Rev. James Lumsdea
M.A., B.D
United Free Churches, Rev. James Stock-
dale & Rev. Erskine Gilbert M.A
School Attendance Officer, James Christie.
School Board, John Clarke, clerk
Board Schools: —
Grange (The), James D. Burns, master
Cross Roads, Donald Craig, master
Sillyearn, George Menzie, master
Railway Station, Wm. Moir, station mast«r
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Donald George J.P

Images and transcriptions on this page, including medium image downloads, may be used under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence unless otherwise stated. Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence