‹‹‹ prev (1949)

(1951) next ›››

(1950)
WIGTOWNSHIRE
GLENLUCE
SLATER'S
GROCERS AND HEALERS IN SUNDRIES.
Brown John, Glenluce
Carson William (& spirit dealer), Glenluce
Chalmers James, Seaview
Green John, Glenluce
Henry William, Glenluce
Kenmuir Charles, New Luce
M'Clew David, Glenluce
M'Clew Thomas, Glonluce
M'Kenzie James, New Luce
M'Neillio Jolin, New Luce
M'William Alexander, Glenluce
Neil Elizabeth, Glenluce
Preston Agues, Glenluce
Russell Thomas, Glenluce
Walls Henry, Glenluce
LINEN & WOOLLEN DRAPERS.
M'Cormick Samuel, Glenluce
Nish James, Glenluce
MILLERS.
Adair Brothers, Bridge of Park
Dickson Adam, Mill Town Mill
MILLINERS AND DRESS AND STRAW
BONNET MAKERS.
Campbell Jessie, Glenluce
Lowry Jenny, Glenluce
M'Dowall Elizabeth, Glenluce
Nish Maggie, Glenluce
Ward Minnie, Glenluce
SPIRIT DEALERS & PUBLIC HOUSES.
Brown Helen (King's Arms), Glenluce
Kenmuir Charles, New Luce
M'Creadie Grace (Commercial), Glenluce
M' Janet Robert, New Luce
M'Kenzie James, New Luce
Manson Margaret, Glenluce
Skimming Elizabeth (Burns' Cottage), Glenluce
Thomson Janios (The Cock), Glenluco
STONEMASONS.
M'Dowall William {& contractor), Glenluce
M'Neillie James & Alexander, New Luce
Templeton John {& contractor), Glenluce
SURGEONS.
M'Cormack William, m.d. Glenluce
Matthews David, Glenluce
TAILORS.
M'Caig William, Glenlace
M'Dowall Thomas, Glenluco
M'Lauchlin James, New Luce
Milroy Thomas, Glenluce
Wallace James, Glenluce
WRIGHTS.
Sec Cartwrights.
MISCELLANEOUS.
Allison James, agent for the Scottish Equitable
Life Insurance Co. Glenluce
Brown William, painter, Glenluce
Carson James, game dealer, Glenluce
Creamery (The) Co. Limited, butter, &c, makers,
West Challoch
Cunningham Helen, newsagent, Glenluce
Hamilton Robert, saddler, Glenluce
M'Culloch Peter, jun. agent for the Standard
Life Assurance Co. Whitefield
M'Earlane John, registrar of births, deaths and
marriages and session clerk, Glenluce
Miller John, road surveyor, Glenluce
Miller John, baker, Glenluce
Nish James, coal & lime agent, Glenluce
Symington Gilbert, factor to John C. Cunning -
harue, Esq. and Sir John C. D. Hay, Bart. &
ageut for the North British & Mercantile In-
surance Co, Glenluce
Public Buildings, Offices, &c.
PLACES OF WORSHIP
AND THEIR MINISTERS.
Established Church— -Rev. James F. Smith
Established Chdrch, New Luce — Rev. Win.
Forsyth
Free Church — Rev. George Wilson
Free Church, New Luce — Assisted from Glen-
luce [Carslaw
Presbyterian (United) Chapel— Rev. Robt.
Mechanics' Institute and Reading Room, Glen-
luce — William Fergusson, treasurer
Parochial Board, Glenluce— Gilbert Symington,
chairman ; John M'Farlane, registrar ; David
Mathews, m.b. medical officer ; James Nish,
collector of poor rate, & inspector of poor ;
John Miller, sanitary inspeotor
Parochial Board, New Luce — Thomas C. Greig,
chairman ; Robert C. Lupton, registrar, col-
lector of poor rate, & inspector of poor ;
David Mathews, m.b. medical officer ; William
Park sanitary inspector
Police Station, Glenluce — James M'Kenzie,
constable
Police Station, New Luce— Wm.Wood, constable
School Board, Glenluce M'Cormack, chair-
man ; John Miller, treasurer & clerk
School Board, New Luce— John Orr, chairman ;
Robert M' Janet, treasurer & clerk
CONVEYANCE BY RAILWAY,
ON THE PORTPATRICK & WIGTOWNSHIRE
JOINT LINE.
Statio7is, Glenluce, Castle Kennedy and
DUNRAGGIT
ON THE GIRVAN AND PORTPATRICK JUNCTION
LINE.
Station, New Luce
CARRIERS.
To STRANRAER, Andrew Hyslop, from Glen-
luce, Monday, Wednesday & Friday, and Wm.
Love, from New Luce, Tuesday & Friday
KIRKCOWAN
as tbe ground occupied by the clmrcn yard, were given by tlio late
Captain W. C. Hamilton, of Cmiglaw. There 13 a church for tbe
United Presbyterians, and Board schools. The surface of this
district is various, consisting of moorland interspersed with pieces
of arable land It extends from north to south 15 miles, by a general
breadth of about live, and is well watered by the Tarf and Bladnoch
streams. Acreage of the parish, 85.865 ; population in 1881, 1,307 ;
of which 671 were returned for tbe village.
IS a parish and village, tbe latter 10 miles from Glenluce, 8 from
Wigtown, and 7 from Newton Stewart,situated ou the Tarf water,
near its junction with the Bladnoch. There are woollen manu-
factories adjoining the village, belonging respectively to Messrs.
William Armstrong and Son, and Mr. William Milroy, which furnish
employment to many of the inhabitants. The Portpatrick and
Wigtownshire Joiut Railway passes within a quarter of a mile of the
village. The principal hotel is the Commercial. The church,
Which is a very neat edifice, was erected in 1838 ; its site, as well
POST OFFICE, Kirkcowan, Peter Gordon, Post Master.— Letters from all parts arrive at 8 55 a.m., and from Stranraer at 315 p.m.,
and are despatched to Stranraer at 8 12 p.m., and to all parts at 3 and 5 45 p.m. Money Order and Telegraph Ojfrcc and Savings Bank.
GENTRY & CLERGY.
Denoon Rev. Benjamin, m.a. The Manse
Fox Marmaduke, Esq. Polbao
Hamilton Mrs. Fleming, of Craighlaw
Hendorsou Rev. William, Kirkcowan
M'Chlery William C. Esq. Balminnoch
M'Cracken Mr. William! surgeon), Kirkcowan
M'William Mr. Alexander, Knockravie House
SCHOOLS.
Board Schools:—
Kirkcownn— John M'Callum, master
Darnow— William Rowan, master
FARMERS.
Arthur James, Barhoise
Burnie William & Hugh, Carse Riggan
Dougan Andrew. Kenmuir
Fox Marmadnke, Tannylaggie
Gardner David & John, Drumabrenn.an
Gordon Gilbert, Drunibuie & Anlachie
Hambro E. A. Kildarroch & Barskeoch
Hannay Andrew A William, Gass
Houston Thomas & Son, Well Houso
Hutcheson William, Kilterson
Kevan James A. Urral
Love Alexander & Hugh, Barnharrow
M'Caig Alexander, Barmoro [Airyligg
M'Chlery William C. Mark of Lochronald &
M'Clure William, Kilquhocadalo
M'Clure William, Ring
M'Clymont Robert, Balminnech
M'Cormack George, Barquhill
M'Cormack George & M'Dowall, Killadam
M'Cormack Peter, East Cnlvennan
M'Cormack Thomas & James, High Mindork
M'Geoch William, Mark & Barnneight
M'Geoch William, West Crocherie
M'lllwraith William, Muil
M'Kie Gilbert, High Eldridge
M'Kie William, Clugston
M'Tier James & Thomas, Shannoek
M'William Samuel & William, Ring
Mathews — , Darnow
1286
Morrison William & Sons, High & Low Derr
Nevison Alexander, Homehead of Bo relaud
Nichol Thomas, jun. Old land
Nichol Thomas & John, Barlennan
Rallie John, Barnearnie
Stroyan John, Airres & Low Eldriclt
Stroyan John, Boreland
Templeton Hugh &, John, Fell of Lochronald
Temnleton Jane, Barfad & Carsbuie
Templeton Thomas, Craighlaw Mains
Wilson John, West Cnlvennan
Young John, Barhoise Mill
SHOPKEEPERS AND TRADERS.
Baird John, grocer
Brown John, joiner, cartwright & ironmonger
Court James & Co. drapers
Crozier David, tailor
Dickson Andrew, flesher
Edgar John, grocer
Forsyth Sarah, dressmaker
Gait Mary A. Kirkcowan Inn
Gibson Robert, flesher
Gordon Peter, session clerk and linen and
woollen draper
Henry John, grocer
Henry William, tailor & draper [builder
Hunter Wm. Commercial Hotel, & coach-
Hutcheson Margaret, draper
Jack Alexander & Robert, limber merchants,
Tarff Saw Mills
Lawiie Robert H. grocer
Lockhart William, saddler
M'Dermont Christina, dressmaker
M'Dowall William H. seedsman
M'Kenzie Alexander W. grocer & manure
agent, & agent for the City of Glasgow (life),
& City of London(fiie)IusaranceCompanies
M'Kie Archibald, grocer
M'Kie William, grocer
M'Lean William, tailor
M'Master William, grocer
M'Nally David, stonemason
M'William James, blacksmith
M'William James, joiner & cartwright
Miller William, baker
Milroy Helen, grocer
aluir Andrew, shoemaker
Peacock John, grocer
Rowan William, agent to London & Stafford-
shire Insurance Company, Darnow
Scott Agnes, dressmaker
Smith Alexander, Craiglaw Arms Hotel
Smith Alexander, bootmaker
Smith John, stonemason
Stewart Charles H. coachbuilder & posting
establishment
Stewart James, grocer & temperance hotel
Stewart William, joiner & cartwright
Youug John, miller, Barhoise Mill
WOOLLEN MANUFACTURERS.
Armstrong William & Son blankets,
tweeds, &c), Tarff Mills, Kirk-
cowan
Milroy William (blankets, plaidings
& tweeds), Waulk Mill
Public Buildings, Offices, &c.
PLACES OF WORSHIP
AND THEIR MINISTERS.
Established Church — Rev. Benjami.
Denoon, m.a.
United Presbyterian Church— Rev. Wm.
Henderson
County Police Station— Wm. Wade, constable
Kirkcowan Bowling Club— JameB Miller, sec
Parochial Board— Chairman, Rev. Benjamin
Denoon, M.A., inspector of poor & collector
of poor rates, Peter Gordon; registrar of
births, &c. John M'Callum: medical
officer, William M'Cracken
CONVEYANCE BY RAILWAY.
The Portpatrick & Wigtownshire Joint
Railway passes within a quarter of a mile
—John Gordon, station master

Images and transcriptions on this page, including medium image downloads, may be used under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence unless otherwise stated. Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence