‹‹‹ prev (1554)

(1556) next ›››

(1555)
DIRECTORY
LANARKSHIRE
COATBRIDGE,
WITH THE PARISHES OF OLD MONKLAND AND OADDEE; ALSO THE VILLAGES OP BAILLIESTON, BARGEDDIE,
BISHOP BRIGGS, GARNKIRK, GLENBOIG, CHRYSTON, ~DUNDYVAN, EASTERHOUSE, MOODIESBSUH, GARTSIIERRIE,
MOUNT VERNON, SWINTON, WHIFPLET AND NEIGHBOURHOODS.
C"
OATBRIDGE is a populous town in the parish of Old Monkland,
' situated on the Glasgow & Edinburgh road, eight miles east
from Glasgow, and two miles west from Airdrie. Efforts are at pre-
sent being made to form this town into a burgh, a bill for which
I urposo is now (1885) before Parliament. Although but a few years
ftgo this place was of trifling importance, yet by its local advantages,
which consist in abundance of coal and ironstone, it has now become
%ery populous, and its well-stored shops and busy streets give it the
appearance of a thriving town. The North British and Caledonian
iBailways passes through the town, as does the Monkland canal, and
tney add very considerably to tbe wealth of the locality by affording
ieady transit to its productions. In the vicinity are five establish-
, ments for the manufacture of pig iron— viz., the Gartsherrie, the
I Calder, tbe Carnbroe, the Langloah, and those of Summerlee, all of
' which are on an extensive scale and afford employment to large
numbers of the inhabitants. There are ten establishments for the
manufacture of malleable iron, and to which most of the firms are
now adding that of steel. These branches of the iron and steel
trade are considerably on the increase in the neighbourhood. Tbe
manufacture of iron tubes is carried on very extensively by the
Caledonian Patent Lap-welded Tube Company; Messrs. A. & J.
Stewart, Limited, of the Clyde Tube Works ; Mr. James Allan ;
James Wilson & Sons ; and some others. There are also several ex-
tensive engineering and iron founding establishments ; the principal
of which are Messrs. W. V. V. Lidgerwood, Murray and Paterson,
Miller & Co., and Lambert & Co. The Clydesdale, the National, the
Royal, and the Union Banks have each a branch located here. There
are places of worship for various denominations. In 1871 Coatbridge
had a population of 15,802, and in 1881, 17,600.
Old Monkland is a' parish divided into three districts for regis-
tration purposes, and extends from the right hank of the Clyde to
the border of New Monkland, a distance of between seven and eight
sniles, by a breadth near the Clyde of littlo more than one, but after-
wards expanding to nearly four miles. It is bounded on the north
Iby Calder and the barony parish of Glasgow, and on the south by
Both well. This is one of the most productive parishes in Lanark-
shire ; it is well enclosed and cultivated, and until commerce, that
core destroyer of sylvan beauty, made such rapid strides, was one of
the most beautiful and finely-planted in the county. At ToLCRossare
situated the Clyde Iron Works, and extensive collieries, the pro-
perty of Colin Dunlop, Esq. The whole' of this parish is rich in
minerals. Dondyvan is a village in this parish ; here are the Navy
jOakum Works of Messrs. John Smith & Co. The area of Old Monk-
land parish is 10,935 acres, and in 1881 its population was 37,328.
Whifflet is a village in the parish of Old Monkland, having a
â– station on the Caledonian Railway, one mile distant froni Coat-
jbridge, and one on the North British line. There are engineering
; and agricultural implement works in the immediate neighbourhood.
'The places of worship are a church of the Establishment, a Free
•church, and a Roman Catholic chapel.
Baillieston is a large village in the parish (parochial) of Old
Monkland, from which it has been disjoined for ecclesiastical pur-
poses, and. erected iuto a quoad sacra parish. -under the name of
Crosshill; it is situated three miles and a half from Coatbridge,
on the Edinburgh and Glasgow road, and contains places of worship
for the Establishment, the United Presbyterian, the Episcopal
church, Free church, and Roman Catholics. In the vicinity are
several collieries, and in the village are the preserve works of Messrs.
Smith Brothers.
Calder, or Cadder, parish extends along the northern boundary
of Lanarkshire, having Kirkintilloch and New Monkland on the
east, New Kilpatrick on the west, Campsie on the north, and the
barony parish of Glasgow on the south. Great improvements have
been made in this district in agriculture. This progressive benefit
has been accelerated by the great canal between the Forth
and the CIvde, which passes through the parish for five miles, whilst
the river Kelvin washes its northern boundary to the extent of six
miles. The North British aud Caledonian Railwavs pass through
this parish. The discovery of coal on the estate of Calder, and coal
aud very valuable fire-clay on that of Gam kirk, has materially
enhauced. the price of land. Chryston, Muirhead, Bishop Briggs,
and Moodiesburn are small villages in this parish, which encloses
an area of 13,969 acres, and in 1881 had a population of 6,965.
Garneirk, in the parish of Calder, is situate on the Caledonian
Railway, about six miles from Glasgow, aud three and a half from
Coatbridge; this place is important from the Garnkirk Fire Clay
Works being situated here. This is perhaps one of the largest and
most complete manufactories of fire-clay in Great Britain. Thei'e
are about 500 men employed iu mining and manufacturing the
material. The quality of the fire-clay ou this property is quilo
tqual to that of Stourbridge, and the bricks, furnace blocks, retorts
and crucibles find their way in large quantities to all parts of
America, Germany, Holland aud Russia. The manufacture of
glazed pipes for water and sanitary purposes and of ornamental
articles, such as chimney cans, vases and fountains, is also ex-
tensively carried on at this establishment. There are likewise two
other large establishments engaged in the manufacture of
articles as above described, viz : Messrs. John Young aud Sons, at
Cardowan and Heathfield, and Mr. James Binnie, at Gartcosh.
Population in 1881, 782.
Glenboig (or Garnqucen) is a village, about 2^ miles north from
Coatbridge, and a station on the Caledonian Railway. Here are the
immense works of the Glenboig TJniou Fire Clay Co. Limited. In
the formation of this company the works of the Glenboig, the
Glenboig Star and the Cumbernauld were amalgamated, and they
are probably the largest manufacturers of fire-bricks, blocks, &c, in
the world. Fire.bricks are also manufactured at Gartverrie, one
mile distant, and in this vicinity coal is also plentifully obtained.
At Robroyston, Sir William Wallace was betrayed into the power of
Edward I. by Sir John Monteith, who, according to tradition, was
bribed for that purpose by the English Court. Population in 1881,
934.
POST OFFICE, WATEE STEEET,
JOHN LOUTT1T, Post Master.
ARRIVALS.— From all parts of the kingdom and foreign at 7 a.m.; from Glasgow, Edinburgh, and all parts generally at 150
and 3 55 p.m.: from England, Ireland and all parts at 6 50 p.m.
DESPATCHES.— To Glasgow and all parts, except Airdrie and Edinburgh, at 9 45 a.m., and 12 45 noon ; to Edinburgh, East of Scot-
laud, and North nf England, at 11 40 a.m. and 4 15 p.m.; to Airdrie at 2 5 p.im: to Glasgow and all parts, except South of Scotland,
North of Ireland and England at445 p.m. ; to England, Ireland, South of ScotWnu, Greenock, Paisley and Foreign at 5 30 p.m.; to Eng-
land, South of Scotland, Foreign, &c, at 6 25 p.m. ; to all parts of the Kingdom and Foreign at 8 45 p.m. ; on Sundays at 5 30 p.m. to all
Iparts. Money Order and Telegraph Office and Savings Bank.
Post Office, Baillieston, Nicholas Hood, Post Mistress. — Letters from all parts arrive (from Glasgow) at 7 20 a.m., 12 30 noon, and
4 35 p.m., and are despatched thereto at 10 a.m., aud 4 45 and 6 55 p.m. The nearest Money Order Office is at Coatbridge, distant
three miles.
Post Office, Bargeddie, William Ramsay, Post Master. — Letters from all parts arrive (from Glasgow) at 7 15 a.m., aud 4 30 p.m., and
are despatched thereto at 10 5 a.m., and 4 30 p.m. The nearest Money Order Office is at Coatbridge, distant two miles.
Post Office, Bishop Briggs, Janet Uie, Post Mistress. — Letters from all parts arrive (from Glasgow) at 6 50 and 11 50 a.m. and 5
p.m., and are despatched thereto at 10 25 a.m. and 6 p.m. Money Order Office and Savings Lank.
Post Office, Coatdyko, Coatbridge, William Allison, Sub-Post Master.— Letters from all parts arrive (from Coatbridge) at 8 a.m.
and 4 p.m., and are despatched thereto at 6 15 and 9 30 a.m., aud 3 20 and 5 45 p.m. Money Order Office and Savings Bank.
Post Office, Chryston, Elizabeth Watson, Post Mistress. — Letters from all parts arrive (from Glasgow) at S 10 a.m., and 4 20 p.m.,
and are despatched thereto at n a.m. and 2 p.m. The nearest Money Order Office is at Glenboig, distant two miles.
Post Office, Gartcosh, John Thorburn, Sub-Post Master. — Letters from all parts arrive (from Glasgow) at G 30 and 8 40 a.m., and
S 20 p.m., and are despatched thereto at 4 30 and Y 30 p.m. The nearest Money Order Office is at Glenboig, one mile distant.
Post Office, Glenboig, Archibald Henry, Post Master. — Letters arrive from all parts (from Coatbridge) at S-15 a.m., and are des-
patched thereto at 8 15 a.m. and 4 15 p.m., and to Glasgow direct at 4 15 p.m. Money Order Office and Savings Bank.
Post Office, Whifflet, Robert Yuill, Post Master.— Letters arrive from all parts (from Coatbridge) at 7 40 a.m. and 4 40 and 7 20
p.m., and are despatched thereto at 7 80 a.m. and 7 p.m. Money Order Office and Savings Bank.
GENTRY & CLERGY.
Adam Mr. Matthew, Academy st
Adam Mr. Robert, St. John st [hill
Addie Jas. Esq. J. p. Orbeston House, Bells-
Alexander John, Esq. J p. CairnhiU House,
Airdrie
Alger Rev. Joseph B. Church st
Allan Mr. James, Victoria House
Anderson Mr. John, Melbourne Cottage,
Chryston [Coatbridge
Andrew William Jackson, Esq. Fairliome.
Baiid Mr. William, Swintou Villa, Swinton
Baker Thos. Esq.. Beechbank, Mount Vernon
Begg Mr. — , Liunwbod, Mount Vernon
Begg Mr Josiah, Fir-Knowe, Stepps
Bell Edward M. Esq. Cupar Head House, Old
Monkland
Bennie Mr. John, Floral Bank, Bishop Briggs
Bird Mr. David, Blairhill House
Bishop James, Esq. Royal Bank House,
Academy st
Black Mrs. — , Heatheryknowe House
Black Mr. John, Milton Bank, Bishop Briggs
Black Rev. Peter Cameron, Manse, Monkland
Black Mr. William, Rosehank, Easterhouse
Black Mr. Robert, Easterhouse
Black Mr. Robt. Milton Bank, Bishop Briggs
Black Mr: William, Rosebank, Easterhouse
Bowie John H. Esq. j.p. Bank st
Bowman Mr. Wm. Westerhouse, Baillieston
Boyd Mr. John, Mount Vernon
Boyd Mr. Richard, Ashgrove, Mount Vernon
Boyd Mr. Robert, Crichton st
Brand Mrs. Janet, Lochview ter. Gartcosh
Brand Mr. John, Faulds House, Baillieston
Brown Mr. Malcolm, Mount Vernon
Brown Mr. Wm. Yucca Lodge, Mount Vernon
Brownlee Mr. David, Coatbank, Whifflet
Bryan Frederick G. D. Esq. Fredreichstadt,
Drumpellier [Drumpellier
Buchanan Col. D. C. R. Carrrick, c.b., j.p. of
Buchanan Hamilton, Esq. Mount Vernon
House-
Buchanan Mrs. Mary, Colt ter
Burden Mr. James, Hopehill, Stepps
Cameron Mr. Alexander, Colt ter
Campbell Mr. Alex. Ashcraig, Mount Vernon
Campbell Mr. Alex. Amfield Cottage, Bishop
Briggs
Chisholm Mr. George W. Church st [ton
Christie Thos. C, Esq. j.p. of Bedlay, Chrys-
891

Images and transcriptions on this page, including medium image downloads, may be used under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence unless otherwise stated. Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence