‹‹‹ prev (1300)

(1302) next ›››

PUBLIC BUILDINGS, &c— continued.
Brechin Pooruousc, Infirmary Street.
Chairman — Charles Anderson
Matron (of Almshouse)— Eliza Ford
Inspector — Robert Meldrum
Tho Board meets at the office, in Panmurc
street, on Mondays at 7 p.m. and the Visiting
Committee of the house on the last Wednes-
day of each month
Brechin, 2 Panmure st — Robert Meldrum,
inspector & collector ; James Cranstoun,
assistant ; William Leslie, jun. clerk
Fa mcll— Alexander Robertson, inspector of
poor & collector of rates
Brechin, 2 Panmure st — Robert Meldrum,
registrar ; James Cranstoun, assistant
Fame 11— Alexander Robertson, registrar
brechin (Burgh.)
Chairman — James H. Lamb
Clerk — James Ciaig
Treasurer — Charles Anderson
brechin (Parish.)
Chairman — Patrick Chalmers
Clerk & Treasurer— J &mes Will
Chairman —Alexander Carnegie
Clerk d- Treasurer — John Denholm
Baths, Incbfield — William Weir, keeper
Bowling Club — G. Camming, sec. & treasurer
Burgh Treasurer's Office, St. Mary st — William
Anderson, treasurer
Cemetery, Panmure st — Robert Meldrum, super-
intendent; James Gray, keeper
City Hall, Swan st — George O'Neil, keeper
Conservative Electoral Association — The Right
Hon. the Earl of Kintore, president ; William
Anderson, secretary ; Joseph S. Whyte, treasr
Constabulary Station (County), 59 Southesk
st — Alexander Hendry, sergeant
Curling Club — John Sh-iell, S.S.C. president;
George Anderson, secretary & treasurer
Fire Engine House, Castle st — William Stewart,
Gas Works, Witohden rd — William Whitson,
secretary ; James B. Terrace, manager ; John
Soutter, assistant collector
Guildhall, Church st— G. O'Neil, keeper
Liberal Electoral Association (founded 1880) —
John" Lamb, president ; Alexander Miller,
secretary & treasurer
Masonic Hall, Church st— John Mackay, keeper
Model Lodging-house, City rd — Alex. Brown,
keeper [superintendent
Police Station, Church st — Lewis Gordon,
Public Park, Park rd — Francis Anderson, keeper
Public Washing House, Incbfield— William
Weir, keeper
Second Forfarshire (Angus) Rifle Volunteers
(I & J companies, Brechin detachment) —
William Scott, major ; John Duke and
John Scott, captains ; David Duke, Charles
Mitchell, & David Lamb, lieutenants; Patrick
Walsh, sergeant instructor
Shambles and Weigh-house, High st — George
O'Neil, weigher
Stamp and Tax Office, 40 High st — William
Johnston, sub-distributor & sub-collectcr
Temperance Hall, City rd— Hugh Edwards,
Town Clerk's Office (Union Bank of Scotland,
Limited), Swan st— James L. Gordon, clerk
Trinity Muir Cattle Market, Trinity Muir —
William Cobb, superintendent
Young Men's Christian Association, Bank st —
Alexander Miller, secretary
Young Women's Christian Association, P7
Southesk st — Mary Christison, secretary
Station, Park Road— Robert Elliot, super-
intendent [master
Station, Fasnell— William Davidson, station
Carting Agent— John Hood, 63 Southesk st
Goods only.
Statio7i, Park Road — James Kye, agent
Carting Agents— Croll & Will
To EDZELL, Henry Johnston, from Clerk st.
Tuesday & Thursday, & A. Silver, from Clerk
st. & J. Laing, High st. daily
To FARNELL, J. Taylor, from Montrose st
To GLENESK, R. Middleton, from Brown
Horse Inn, Clerk st. Tuesday
To LETHNOT, R. Drnmmond, from the Black
Horse, Tuesday
To MENMUTR, Andrew Garvie, from Panmure
st. Tuesday & Friday
To MONTROSE, John Young, from Montrose
st. daily (except Thursday), & Hugh Hunter,
from Damacre rd. daily
BROUGHTY FERRY is a considerable modern town, seated on
the Frith of Tay, about four miles east from Dundee, nearly
opposite to Ferry-Bort-on-Craig, orTayport,and on the Dundoeand
Arbroath Railway. The place takes its name from the old ruined
castle of Broughty or Burgh Tay (the defence of the Tay, situated
on its south-eastern extremity), on a rocky eminence jutting into
the water. The castle until lately was in ruins, but is now re-
stored, and made into a formidable defence for the mouth of the
Tay. Broughty is divided into two districts, East Ferry and
West Ferry — tho former is in the parish of Monifieth, the latter in
that of Dundee; it is regularly built, and has improved very con-
siderably during the last few years, having become the place of
residence of many of the principal hankers and merchants of Dun-
dee, whose pleasant houses and cottages are thickly scattered on
the hill side. Branches of the Royal Bank of Scotland and the
North of Scotland Bank, Limited, and a Savings Bank are established
here. The town is governed by commissioners of police and police
magistrates, under tho provisions of the Police Act of 1862. At one
time the East Ferry comprised only a few fishermen's huts, bailt
along the beach; the population is now considerable, while people
from various parts of the country visit it during the summer months
to enjoy its pleasaot scenery, pure air, and for the sake of its excel-
lent bathing accommodation. There are no public works here, the
inhabitants being chiefly engaged in fishing, except a few trades-
men, and those who are independent of manual labour. A new pier
and harbour was constructed in 1871, at a cost of about £3,800, pro-
jecting in the river about 200 feet due south, with a width of 30
feet. At the outer end of the pier is a wooden platform and slip,
supported on piles secured and braced together by horizontal and
diagonal timbers, forming an angle running eastward in the
direction of the North British Railway pier, which gives it a semi-
dock like appearance. There is berthage for four or five small vessels.
The slip is of an uniform breadth of 20 feet, running from the top
of the pier down to low water, partly underneath the platform at a
gentle declination ; this arrangement will accommodate
vessels at low water, and the landing and embarking
passengers from small steamers at any state of the tide.
Storehouse, office, and steelyard liave also been added.
About half a mile to the north of Broughty-Ferry is Fort-hill, where
were lately some remainB of the fortifications erected by the English,
in 1548, during the reign of Henry VIII., and regency of the Earl of
Arran, when they ravaged Dundee and the surrounding country; in
1550 the works on this bill being surrendered to an allied army of
Scots, Germans, and French, under M. Des. Thermies, were dis-
mantled, and at the present day they present merely shattered
relics, the plough having occasionally been driven over a part of the
ground which they once covered. There are ten places of worship
— two Established, three Free, two United Presbyterian, one Epis-
copal, one Independent, and one Baptist. The East Free church,
built in 1865, is a very handsome Gothic structure. There are also
three Board schools, one of which, the Eastern, has been built since
the new Education Act oame into operation, and the other two have
been enlarged and much improved. Besides these there is a secon-
dary or collegiate school, and a few ladies' schools. There are also
two Public Halls. Population of the town in 1881, 6,487.
Monifieth is a parish lying on the shore of the Frith of Tay,
extending inland about four miles aud a half from south to north,
and the breadth from one and a half to three and a half miles, em-
bracing 5,952 acres. It is bounded on the south by the Frith of Tay,
and on the east by the parishes of Barry and Monikie, on the north
by Monikie, and on the west by Marroes and Dundee. The name is
understood to be derived from the Gaelic appeUation of Mojiifuith,
or tho " stag moss." The village of Monifieth is situated about two
miles east from Broughty-Ferry, on a brae with a southern exposure
and within a short distance of the sea ; it contains some very fine
villas, a machine works, and a largo jute spinning mill. It has a
parish and a Free church. The parish church, though plain in
appearance, is a conspicuous edifice, surrounded by a burying ground,
containing a variety of finely carved antique tombstones, executed
with a taste rarely seen in the cemetery of a humble village.
There are also two Board schools. There is a station in the village,
on the Dundee and Arbroath joint liue of railway. Population of
the parish (which includes the greater portion of Broughty-Ferry)
in 1881, 9,521.
Barnhill,! one mile east from Broughty-Ferry, in the same
parish, is a station on the Dundee and Forfar direct line, opened
for passenger traffic November 14th, 1870, which has facilitated the
oponing out of this locality in buildiug sites, and it has now become
a favourite place of residence. Here is a Convalescent Home in
connection with the Dundee Royal Infirmary, erected in 1876 and
opened in March, 1877, from funds left by the late Sir David Baxter,
Newbigging is a small hamlet in the parish of Monikie, and about
seven miles north-east of Dundee (its post town). It contains an
UDited Presbyterian church, a very neat building, also a school ol
the same denomination. Population returned with the parish.
Mdrroes parish is in the southern part of tho county, three miles
in length by two in breadth, bounded by Dundee and Mains on the
south, Monifieth on the east, Mains and Tealing on the west, and
Inverarity and Monikie on the north, lying on the road from Brechin
to Dundee, its post town, from which latter it is about five miles
distant. The greater part of the parish is arable, and it is adorned
with some plantations. There are quarries producing quantities of
pavement and other kinds of stone. The parish church is tho only
place of worship. A new public school, with a house adjoining for
the master, has been erected. The nearest railway station is at
Kingenny. on the Dundee and Forfar line of railway. Acreage, 5,298.
Population in 1881, 749.
POST OFFICE, Brook Street, Broughty-Ferry, Martha Barclay, Post Mistress,— Letters from all parts arrive (from Dundee) at 7
and 11.45 a.m. and G.45 p.m., aud are despatched thereto at 8.15 a.m. and 1,35, 4.30, and 8.10 p.m. ; the South of Perth at 5.15 p.m., and to
Arbroath at S.15 p.m. Money Order and Telegraph Office and Savings Bank.
Post Office, Monifieth, David Lowson, Receiver. — Letters from all parts arrive (from Dundee) at 7-0 a.m. and 1.30 p.m., and are
despatched thereto at 11.0 a.m., and 3.15 and 8.10 p.m. Money Order and Telegraph Office and Savings Bank.
Post Office, Newbigging, David Mathers, Receiver.— Letters from all parts arrive (from Dundee) at 9.0 a.m., and are despatched
thereto at 2.0 p.m. The nearest Money Order Office is at Monifieth.
*** Letters for the above plaoea should be addressed " near Dundee."

Images and transcriptions on this page, including medium image downloads, may be used under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence unless otherwise stated. Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence