‹‹‹ prev (1264)

(1266) next ›››

Adainson Isabella, Berlin wool repository,
James st
Bowman George, rope maker, James st
Brown James, session clerk, Pittenweeni
Ferguson James, newsagent, St. Monance
Laing John, pilot, Marygate
Phillips John, auctioneer & fish salesman, St.
Smith John P. treasurer to Carnbee School
Board, heritors' clerk, session clerk & sani-
tary inspector, Carnheo
Smith William, painter, &c. James st
Wilson Thomas, slater, Charles st
Woodward John, umbrella maker & marine
store dealer, James st
Public Buildings, Offices, &c.
and their ministers.
Established Churches :—
Pittenweem— Rev. Patrick M'Farlan
Carnbee— Rev. Thomas P. Johnstone
St. Monance— Rev. John Tumbull
Episcopal Church— Rev. F. K. Lloyd
Free Church, St. Monance— Rev. Hugh Fraser
Fkee Church, Arncroach — Rev. Robert H,
United Presbyterian Church— Pittcnweem
— Rev. James Pittendrigh, m.a,
Town Hall, Pitteuweem.
Pro iwst— John Henderson
Bailies— James Christie & George Wolch
Councillors— Eight
Buryh Treasurer— Thomas Williamson
Town Cleric <<• Burgh Assessor-llu^h Macmillan
Bivrgll Fiscal— James Brown
Inspector of Public Works and Weights and
Measures — James Brown
Inspector of Nuisances— James Jack
Town & Sheriff's Officer— William Wcstwood
Town Hall, St. Monance.
Bailies— Alexander Reekie & John Ovenstone
Councillors — Twelve
Burgh Treasurer— William Aitken
Town Clerk— H. B. Mackintosh
Town Officer— Janies Cameron
Pi ttemuecm— Inspector, David Crisp ; collector,
James Tosh
Carnbee — Inspector & collector, John P. Smith
St Monance— Inspector & collector, David Crisp
Pittcnweem— Rohevt M, Oswald
Cam bee— John P. Smith
St. Monance— Isaac Nevin
Gas Works, Pittenweem and St. Monanco —
Thomas Nieolson, manager
Harbour Office, Shore— John Laing, harbour
master ; William Ritchie, collector of harbour
dues [clork
School Board, Pittcnweom— Thomas Nieolson,
Station, Pittenweem — William Rodger, sta-
tion master [master-
Station, St, Monance — John S. Hogg, station
To KIRKCALDY & intermediate places, W. &
J. Pattison, from Anstruther, Wednesday &
ST. ANDREWS is a city, a royal burgh, and seaport, and perhaps 1
tho most interesting town, as regards its ecclesiastical history,
in North Britain , 39 miles n.n.e. of Edinburgh, 10 miles from Cupar,
Anstrulh^r, and Crail, and six from Leuchars, a station on the
Edinburgh, Perth, and Dundee section of the North British Rail-
way, and stands within the bay to which it gives its name, wherein
How the Eden and a small stream called the Konley. Its history iB
mingled with the civil and ecclesiastical annals of Scotland, espe-
cially tho latter ; but the narrow space within which the proprietor
of this work is confined in the descriptive notice of towns denies to
him the gratifying task of performing that ample justice to those
subjects which tbeir importance demands, and which has been so
ably and so elaborately treated by the authors of the " Gazetteer of
The city of St. Andrews in 1410 first saw the establishment of its
university, which was tho earliest of the kind in Scotland, having
originated with Bishop Wardlaw, a magnificent and liberal minded
prelate ; in 1111 it was endowed by charter. The college of St. S»l-
vator was erected by Bishop Kennedy in 1455, that of St. Leonard
in 1512, and that of St. Mary, or the divinity college, in 1537 ; in 1747
the institutions of St. Salvator and St. Leonard were united by
parliamentary statute. The university library contains upwards of
100,000 volumes. The united college has a principal, with professors
of Greek, logic, natural philosophy, moral philosophy, humanity,
mathematics, natural history, anatomy, and education. The college
of St. Mary is an institution of less consequence, aud consis'sof a
principal, and professors of diviuitv, church history and oriental
languages. The site of tiie Madras college is on the south side of
the South street, immediately behind and comprehending within it
part of that fine old ruin of the Black Friars, which will thus be
associated with an improved system of education for centuries to
come — uniting tastefully and appropriately something of the splen-
dour of departed with much of the elegance and usefulness of
present times. This noble institution,, which was endowed by the
late Dr. Bell, the distinguished founder of several similar establish-
ments, both in this and in other towns iu Scotland, canm>t fail to
secure to his nuomorv, for ages to come, that veneration and esteem
to which, as a benefactor of his race, he is so well entitled. The
ioundatiou stone was laid on the 9th April, 1832.
Tho town originally consisted of four streets: Swallow street
(which has for centuries disappeared), towards the sea; North
street, ih which a number of elegant edifices are now situated,
together with the buildings of the united college, partly old and
partly new; Market street, which runs through the middle of the
town; South street, which is spacious and well paved, terminates
towards the east in a beautiful view of the ruins of tho cathedral,
and towards the west is a fine arched entrance, being the old city
gale. The streets all concentrate towards the old cathedral, and
the still more ancient tower of Regulus, or, as it is more comrnnuly
called, " St. Rule." Iu this quarter still stands a great part of the
magnificent wall reared by Prior John Hepburn, in 1516; it runs
along the south side of tho town, and contains fourteen round and
square towers, each having a niche on the outside for a saint, and
appears one of the most interesting relics in the place. From the
top of St. Regulus' tower there is a beautiful view of the Bell rock,
the bay, the city, and the .surrounding country. The ruins, rapidly
decreasing, of the once formidable castle, the scene of Cardinal
Beaton's cruelty to ethers, and <â– ! his own assassination, lie toward
the north-east, aud jut out into the sea. On the shore is a small
eminence called the Witch Hill, the place where those convicted of
witchcraft suffered. Near this spot is a monument raised in 1842
to the memory of the martyrs— Wishart, Mill, and others ; it is in
the form of an obelisk, and is forty-five feet iu height.
391— a R
As before stated, St. Andrews is a royal burgh, by virtue of a
charter conferred by David I., which was confirmed by Malcolm II.,
the unfortunate monarch who was slain in Glammis castle iu 1034 ;
the charter, together with the silver keys of the city, aud the axe
which was used for the decapitation of Sir Robert Spottiswoode
and some other royalists are still to be seen in the town clerk's office.
The city is governed by a provost, a dean of guild and four bailies,
twenty-two councillors, and a treasurer. The burgh unites with
Cupar, the Anstruthers, Kilrenny, Pittenweem, and Crail in sending
one member to the Imperial Parliament. St. Andrews enjoyed at
one period an extensive foreign trade, and so lately as the reign of
Charlesl.it owned from thirty to forty trading vessels. Tho har-
bour is not large, but it is safe when reached; its most dangerous
wind is from the north-east. The export traffic is chiefly in potatoes
and grain, and the import in coals, pavement, timber, &c. Four
banking establishments are in operation here, namely-— branches
respectively of the Commercial Bank of Scotland, Limited, the
Clydesdale Bank, Limited, the Royal Bank of Scotland, and the
Bank of Scotland. There are five principal hotels— these are the
Royal, in South street; the Star and the Crots Keys, in Market
street; Rusack's Private Hotel, in Abbotsford crescent; aud the
Imperial Temperance Hotel, in Murray Park.
Nearly opposite St. Mary's College, on the north side of the street,
stands the town church, originally built by Bishop Turgot, in 1112,
and dedicated to the Holy Trinity. It was in this church that John
Knnx preached his famous sermon which led to the destruction of
the cathedral and monastic buildings. It is a large but incon-
venient edifice about 150 v feet loug by 60 feet wide. The present
building was erected in 1800 npon the foundations of the old one,
and the interior has of late been very much improved. Within the
door, and on the right side is the superb monumeut of Archbishop
Sharp, erected by his son in 17^9 ; it is comprised of white marble ;
the figure of the prelate is represented in the attitude or kneeling,
and below is exhibited, in relief, the assassination of this ecclesias-
tical dignitary. It was thoroughly repaired iu 1850, at an expense of
about £100. Besides tho two parish churches, an additional ODe has
been erected. There are also Free, Episcopal, and United Presby-
terian churches, and Baptist, Independent, aiid Roman Catholic
chapels. Golf, one of the national games of Scotland, has its
strougholil iu St. Andrews, the Royal aud Ancient Golf Club having
been established in 1751; the Queen is patroness, and it numbers
upwards of 800 noblemen and gentlemen as its present members ;
they hold two great meetings auuually. St. Andrews, whether :is
regards its early importance in the history of Scotland, with which
it is so intimately associated — ts numerous relics of antiquity,
which everywhere arrest the eye; its venerable religious edifices,
and its seminariejs of learning — must be admitted to be a X)laco
possessing und*iuig excellence to the mind of the antiquary, aud
replete with interest to the well-informed historian, the contem-
plative tourist, anS the carnal visitor. A hospital, the gift of the
late William Gibson, for aged, infirm and sick persons, has been,
erected in Argyle street, at a cost of £1,000, aud was opened in
January, 1884. There are three pblic halls — viz., the Town Hall,
in South street; the City Hall, iu Church square, and the Lawn
Tennis and Recreathm Hall, in Alfred place, tho last-named and the
Town Hall being large structures, suitable for entertainments aud
public meetings Denhead, a small village, is partly in this parish
and that of Cameron. BoAimiLLs, Kincaple, and Strathkinness
are also small villages distant about four miles from, and in the
parish of, St. Andrews. The market is held on Monday, and the
fairs (for cattle and hiring) on the second Tuesday in August, and.
thefirBt Monday after the 10th of November. Tho entire parish of

Images and transcriptions on this page, including medium image downloads, may be used under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence unless otherwise stated. Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence