‹‹‹ prev (1202)

(1204) next ›››

(1203)
DIRECTORY
BURNTISLAND
FIFESHIRE
Public Buildings, Offices, &c.
PLACES OF WORSHIP
AND THEIR MINISTERS.
Established Church, Levon Gt— Rev, Jos.
S. Finlayson, m.a.
Episcopal Church (St. Serf's), Hampden pi
— Rev. Donald Mackenzie, b.d.
Free Church, High st— Rev. Thomas B.
Kil patrick
United Presbyterian Church, High st—
Rev. James Parlane, m.a.
EURGn OF BURNTISLAND.
MUNICIPAL OFFICIALS,
Town Hall, High Street.
Provost — George Patorson
Bailies—David Crawford & Jas.Fotheriughain
Councillors — Seven
Dean of Guild— Archibald Stocks
Treasurer — William Erskino
Town Clerk & Chamberlain -Thos. A. Wallace
Town's Officer — Edward M'Cormick
Police Sergeant— J ames M. Smith
Sanitary inspector— Richard Paterson
CUSTOM HOUSE.
Superintendent — A.J. W. Cameron
Examining Officer <£• Clerk— 3. C. M'Cloery
Outdoor Officers— G. A. Gallagher & J. W,
Wilson
Boatman— R. M'Intosh
HARBOUR & SHORE DUES OFFICE,
17 Harbour Place.
Clerk to the Commissioner &-? Thos. A. Wallace
Collector of Dues— Robert Orrock
Harbour Master— William Galloway
Deputy Harbour Master— James Smith
HARBOUR ENGINEER'S OFFICE,
Castle Street.
Engineer— Robert Henderson, c.e.
LOCAL AUTHORITY,
Office, 9G High Street.
Clerk— Thomas A. Wallace
PAROCHIAL BOARD FOR THE PARISH.
Inspector of Poor X- Rate Collector ■ — Andrew
White, Ferguson t>l
REGISTRAR OF BIRTHS, DEATHS AND
MARRIAGES FOR THE PARISH.
Registrar— David Wood, S8 High st
SCHOOL BOARD,
Office, 96 High Street.
Clerk— Thomas A. Wallace
Baths, Links— William Dallas, keeper
Boys' Home, 1 Craigholin crescent — Emma
Stirling, proprietress
Coast Guard Station, Leveu et— Frederick
Tout, officer in obarge
Fifcshiro & Clackmannanshire Coalowners'
Association — John Connel, Harbour place,
secretary
Gas Works, Thistle st— Thomas A. Wallace,
secretary; Stien Pithio, treasurer & col-
lector ; Alexander Ross, manager
Harbour Office, Dock yard — William Gallo-
way, master ; Angus M'Intosh, assistant
master
Inland Revenue Office, 10 Gladstone tor —
Samuel Tbomas Kinsman, supervisor
Music Hall, Thistle si,— Edward M'Cormiok,
keeper
Railway Mechanics' Reading Room and
Library— Thomas Melville, secretary
Stamp Office, 20 High st— Stien Pithie, sub-
distributor
CONVEYANCE BY RAILWAY,
ON THE EDINBURGH, PERTH, AND DUNDEE
SECTION OF THE NORTH BRITISH LINE.
Station, adjoining the Pier— Robert Taylor,
station master ; John Stewart, traffic
manager; Robert Wbeatley, manager of
locomotive depa'traeut; Thomas Lawson,
manager of ferries
CARRIER.
To KINGHORN, William Christie, Tuesday
& Friday
To KIRKCALDY, William Christie, Tuesday
& Friday
CONVEYANCE BY WATER.
To GRANTON, by the North British Rail-
way Company's steamers in connection
with tho trains
CRAIL AND KINGSBARNS.
i^RAIL is a parish, a royal burgh, and a seaport — the latter 26 miles e.
^ from Kirkcaldy, and 10 s.E, from St. Andrews. It is bounded on
the north by Denino and Kingsbarns, on the south by Kilrenny, on the
east by the German Ocean, and on the west by Carnbee and Kilrenny.
It was anciently called Caryle or Cair-railc, and is mentioned by old
historians as a town of considerable note so early as the middle of the
ninth century ; its importance in later days has, however, greatly
declined, and notwithstanding it possesses great capabilities as a port,
it enjoys but very little trade. This, in some measure, may be ascribed
to the inconvenience of its harbour, for it is otherwise eligibly situated.
Its principal exports consist of grain and potatoes ; the imports are
chiefly coals. The town consists of two streets, and two or three lanes ;
of the former, one is broad and spacious, containing some good houses,
several of which are of that massive and antique description which
indicate past wealth. A little to the east of the harbour are the frag-
ments of a castle, or palace, once the residence of David L, the remains
of which consist chiefly of a wall, now partly enclosed in a garden.
Crail was erected into a royal burgh by Robert Bruce, and it is governed
by a r>rovost, two bailies, a treasurer, and six councillors; in conjunc-
tion with St. Andrews, Cupar Fife, the Anstruthers, Kilrenny, and Pitteiv
, it returns one member to Parliament,
parish church was anciently a collegiate church, and is tho same that
was preached in by John Knox, when he roused the people to go with
him to Anstruther and then to St. Andrews. The celebrated James
Sharp, Archbishop of St. Andrews, was once minister of the church, and
his handwriting is still to be seen in the session records. There are
public schools, one for infants, and two private schools in the parish.
Acreage of the parish, 6,383. Population in 1881, 1,740, of which the
town contained 1,148.
Kingsbarns is a parish containing tho village of its own name,
situated in the eastern part of the county, bounded on the north by St.
Andrews, on the south by Crail, on the east by the German Ocean, and
on the west by St. Leonard's and Crail. Its length is about three miles
and a half, and its greatest breadth two miles and a half. Originally it
formed part of Crail, but was separated from that parish in 1631. The
village lies a mile to the south, on the public road round the coast, $}%
miles s. E.from St. Andrews, and 8% N - f rom Crail. The largest and
best flagstones in the country are obtained near the village, and marble
of a fine quality is met with occasionally. Pitmilly, a very ancient seat,
stands in the northern part of the parish. Cambo, the seat of the
former Earls of Keltic, now of Sir Thomas Erskine, is in the south
portion of the parish. Acreage, 4,074. Population in 1881, 795.
weem, it returns one member to Parliament. The parish church, Free
church, and United Presbyterian church are the places of worship. The
POST OFFICE, Crail, John Scott, Post Master.— Letters from all parts arrive at 10 a.m., and 3 and 8 p.m., and are despatched at 8 30 and
10 a.m. and 3 30 p.m. Money Order <md Telegraph Office and Savings Bank.
Post Office, Kingsbarns, James Lothian, Post Master.— Letters from all parts arrive (from Crail) at 11 a.m. and (from St. Andrews) at
2 20 p.m., and are despatched (to St. Andrews) at 11 a.m. and (to Crail) at 2 20 p.m. The nearest Money Order Office is at Crail.
GENTRY & CLERGY.
Bowman Miss Caroline, Crail
Bowman Mr. James, Crail
Bowman Mr. William M. Crail
Brown Mrs. Elizabeth, Pinkerton
Buddo Mr. David, Kingsbarns
Corstorrdiine Mrs. Catherine, Kingsbarns
Dow Mr. David R. Crail
Duncan Mr. John W. Seaforth House
Duncan Robert. Esq. Kirkmay, Kingsbarns
Erskine Sir Thomas, Bart. Cambo House,
Kingsbarns
Gay Mr. David, Crail
Guthrie Mr. John, Crail
Guthrie Mis. M;iry, Crail
Hannay Major G. Kingmuir
Hill Mr. James, Crail
Inglis Mrs. Jane, Kirkmay House
Jackson Rev. John, Crail
Jackson Rev. John C. Crail [barns
Lindsay David C. Esq. Wormiston Hall, Kings-
M'Niilder Mrs. Euphemia, Crail
M:itbt'\vson Mr. David, Crail
Monypeuny James Robert Blackwcll, Esq.
Pitmilly^ Kingsbarns
Philip Mrs. Jane, Crail
Reid Rev. John, m.a. Crail
Russell Mrs. A. Kenley Green, Bjarhills
Saunders Mr. Frederick A. m.d. Crail
Todd Miss Mary, Crail
Todd Rev. Alexander, Kingsbarns
Tosh Mr. William, Ashburn House
Webster Mr. James, Crail
White Mr. James, The Castle
ACADEMIES & SCHOOLS.
Herd Penelope, Crail
Lawrence Helen, Crail
Public Schools: —
Crail (West) — John M'Kinnou, master
Crail (East) — Henry Lillie, master
Kingsbarns— Roderick M'Kenzie, master
AUCTIONEERS.
Walker & Morton (& cattle salesmen), Crail, &
at Kirkcaldy — See advertisement
BAKERS.
Corstorphine Elizabeth, Crail
Duncan James, Crail [Crail
Milne John & Co. (pastry, and confectioners),
Peattie David, Crail
BANKS.
CoMarERciAL Bank of Scotland, Limited
Crail ; head office, Edinburgh — draws on
the London office, 123 Bishopsgate st.
Within, & on tho London & Westminster
Bank, & Coutts & Co. London — David
Mathewson, agent
Savings Bank (Anstruther, Ccllardyke and
Crail), open daily at the Cormnin.'ial Bank,
Crail, during bank hours— David Mathewson,
secretary & treasurer
Savings Bank (Crail and district), Town Hall,
Crail, open on Monday evening, fruni 8 till 9 —
H. B. Mackintosh, agent
BLACKSMITHS.
Anderson David, Kingsbarns
Durie David, Kingscarns
Greig James, Crail
Hogg James, Crail
Law James, Crail
Thomson Archibald, Smithfield
Thomson James, Tapefield
BOOT & SHOE MAKERS.
Balfour William, Crail
Bett David, Kingsbarns
Brown Andrew, Kingsbarns
Brunton Alexander, Crail
Lothian James, Kingsbarns
Murray John, Crail
Ritchie William, Crail
Scott Alexander, Crail
Wilson James, Crail
BUILDERS & MASONS.
Kay Robert, Kingsbarns
Mitchell & Gay, Crail
Simpson & Farmer, Crail
CORN MERCHANTS.
Anderson & Co. (Cupar), Crail— Alexander
Scott, agent
Hutchison Robert & Co. (Kirkcaldy), Crail—
Thomas Fleming, agent
539

Images and transcriptions on this page, including medium image downloads, may be used under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence unless otherwise stated. Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence