‹‹‹ prev (1157)

(1159) next ›››

(1158)
EDINBURGHSHIRE
PATH-HEAD
SLATER'S
F&BMEUS— continued.
IN THE PARISH OF CRANSTON— CO lltinited.
Stewart Jane, Remote
Wight George, Oockemuh*
LIME BURNERS.
Gibson & Mercer, Cousland
Tnrnbnll Robert, Magazino Lime Works,
Crichton-dean
"Wilson Andrew, Preston Mains
IN ME FAR18H OF CllICHTON.
Christie Messrs. Chrichton-deau
Dickson George, Currielea
Farrier Mra. — , Tynehead
Henderson Robert, Saunehland
LINEN & WOOLLEN DRAPERS.
Allan Alexander, Patb-head
Duncan Archibald, Path-head
Forsyth James, Path-head
Hunter Adam, Crichton
Jack Samuel, Lanfauch
Oliver George, Chricbton-dean
Pringle James, Cricbton House
Ritchie George, Wbipplelaw
Ross Jobn & Son, Turniedykes
RutberforcT— , Hope
Sliramond Robert, Whitburgh
Wight Missos — , Blaekcastle
SHOPKEEPERS AND DEALERS IN
SUNDRIES.
{See also Grocers.)
Cockburn William, Crichton-dean
M'Alpiue Mary, Cousland
T;iit Margaret, Path-head
Wood Janet, Path-head
FIRE, &c. OFFICE AGENTS.
Northern— James Walker, Path-head
Provincial— George Noble, Path-head
SLATERS.
Robertson Thomas, Path-head
Simpson James & Peter, Path-head
FLESHER.
Scott Walter, Path-head
SPIRIT DEALERS.
See under the head Grocers, and also Vintner*.
GROCERS.
Marked thus ' arc also Spirit Dealers.
SURGEON.
Craig Archibald, Path-head
(See also Shopkeepers, i£c.)
Baxter James, Path-head
*F.iirley Richard (& ironmonger), Path-head
Gibb Alexander, Path-hoad
Liuild Alexander, Path-head
*MILean Robert, Path-head
Mossman Alexander, Path-head
TAILORS.
Marked thus * are also Clothiers.
^Duncan Archibald, Path-head
Moir James, Path-head
+ Ruuciman James C. Path-head
â– ''Pringle George, Path-bead
Torrance Helen, Edge-head
VINTNERS.
(See also Grocers.)
Bain Janet, Path-bead
Cockburn James (Stair Arms Inn), Cranston
JOINERS.
Baillie Robert (& cartwright), Edge-head
Hor die James, Cricbton
Scott Tliomas (& cartwright), Cricbton
Trotter Robert, Path-head
WRIGHTS.
See Joiners.
MISCELLANEOUS.
P.ain John, market gardener, Had Fast
Cousland
Brown William, saddler, Path-head
Combe Robert, veterinary surgeon, Path-head
Johnston John, police officer, Path-head
Mills Alexander, lime agent, Path-head
Thomson Win. agent for J. Pullar & Sons,
dyors (Perth), Nether st
PLACES OF WORSHIP
AND THEIR MINISTERS.'
Established Church, Cranston
Rev.
Crichton— Rev.
George S. Smith
Established Church,
Henry Duncan
United Presbyterian Chdrch, Ford—Rev.
W. S. Thomson
PAROCHIAL BOARD, &c. OFFICERS,
INSPECTORS OF POOR AND COLLECTORS OF
RATES.
Cranston — Robert Hanton
Crichton — George Noble
REGISTRARS
OF BIRTHS, DEATHS & MARRIAGES.
Cranston— Robert Hanton
CHchto n— George Noble
CONVEYANCE BY RAILWAY,
ON THE DALKEITH AND HAWICK BRANCH OF
THE NORTH BRITISH LINE.
The nearest Stations are at Tynehead, 8%
miles s. of Path-head ; and Dalkeith, 5
miles distant
Conveyance to Dalkeith, from Path-head,
on Thursday
CARRIERS.
To DALKEITH, Alexander Wallace, from
bis house, Path-head, Tuesday & Fridav
To EDINBURGH, Win. Cockburn & Alex-
ander Mossman, from Path-head, Friday
PENICUIK,
GLENCORSE, ATJCniNDINNY, GREENLAW, AND MILTON BRIDGE.
PENICUIK is a parish hi the county of Mid-Lothian, and on the
borders of Peebles-shire. JThc parish extends from eleven to twelve
miles in length, and six in breadth, and is watered by the North Esk,
which runs its whole extent. The name Penicuik is of Celtic etymology,
and signifies " the hill of the Cuckoo." Along its northern border, the
parish includes a considerable part of the Pentland Hills, on which are
pastured numerous flojks of sheep. The southern portion is more level,
and the soil is various, but for some years past dairy farming nas been
carried on to a considerable extent on several of the farms. The prin-
cipal industry is the manufacture of paper, which is carried on with
great enterprise at Yalleyfield Mills by Messrs. A. Cowan & Sons,
and at Esk Mills byMes&rs. J. Brown & Co. The mills of Valleyfield
are tho largest in this part of the country, and there both printing and
writing papers are manufactured, thus furnishing employment for a
large number of hands. In the beginning of this century these mills
had -.been acquired by Government for the reception of 5,000 French
prisoners of war. During the years the prisoners were located at
Valleyfield, some SOO died and were buried in the grounds, and to their
memory a handsome monument was, in 1S60, erected near the spot by
" certain inhabitants." The other mill in the parish, known as the
Esk Mills, was the first cotton mill in Scotland, and was afterwards used
as cotton and paper mills, but is now entirely devoted to the latter
manufacture. Penicuik House is an elegant edifice, built about 1761, by
Sir James Clerk, and is now the residence of Sir George Clerk, Bart.
There is a good collection of paintings in it, and Ossian's Hall, the
work of Runcinian, is much admired. Sir James also collected a con-
siderable number of Roman antiquities. To the south of the house is
an obelisk erected to the memory of Allan Ramsay, the poet, who
frequently resided here. In this parish there is also the fine old
mansion of Now Hall, in the grounds of winch is situated what is
generally supposed to be the scene of Allan Ramsay's fine pastoral
" Tho Gentle Shepherd ; " and there " Habbies How " is pointed out.
Auother romantic glen in the adjoining parish of Glencorse has also
been claimed as the original " Habbies How." There is abundance of
coal and limestone, the latter occasionally so hard as to admit of a fine
polish, and in which many petrifactions are found. Whinstone and
freestone are also plentiful, and in Carlope Hill have been discovered
specimens of lead and iron ore. Ironstone mining has in recent years
become an important industry, both in this parish and that of Glen-
corse. There are several chalybeate and petrifying springs in this
quarter ; and on the banks of the North Esk, near Spittal Hill, there is
a well, the waters of which have a bitter taste, and are drunk by tho
country people for bowel complaints. The ruins of some old castles and
the vestiges of encampments are pointed out in this district. While
there are several small hamlets in the parish of Penicuik, the only
populous xjlace is the thriving town, which includes the police burgh
of Penicuik and the contiguous villages of Kirkhill, Fieldsend, and
Shottstown. The town is well built, being seated on high land, over-
hanging the north hank of the North Esk river, on the road from
Edinburgh to Peebles, about 9 miles s.w. from the former, 13 n. from
the latter, and 9 s.s.w. from Dalkeith. The parish of Penicuik encloses
an area of 18,880 acres, and hi 18S1 had a population of 5,309, and the
burgh 3,793.
Glencorse, or Glcncross, is a small parish in the county of Mid-
Lothian, containing about three square miles, and at a distance six
south from Edinburgh. The road to Dumfries, Biggar, Moffat, Peebles,
and Penicuik passes through it. In the vale of Glencorse, on the north
side of the Esk, are the ruins of a chapel, dedicated to Saint Catherine.
The church is built on an eminence surrounded by trees. At Green-
law, or Glencorse, as it has been called since being formed into the
1st Regimental District and depot of the Royal Scots, in this parish, is a
large prison or penitentiary for military offenders. Milton Bridge is
a small hamlet in this parish. Acreage of the parish, 4,257. Popula-
tion in 1891, 1,500.
Ai'lchindinny is a village in the parish of Glencorse, V& miles s. from
Edinburgh, on the road to Peebles, situated in a romantic dell, through
which flows the North Esk. This place has been long known for the
manufacture of paper, and it has been said that one of the first mills
established in Scotland was erected in this locality, and there is one
now in operation contiguous to the village. Tho manufacture of paper
was introduced into North Britain about one hundred and seventy years
ago; previously all stationery articles were- imported regularly from
Holland.
POST OFFICE, High Street, Penicuik, John Robertson, Post Master.— Letters from all parts arrive (from Edinburgh) at 7 45 and 8 40
a.m., and at 6 p.m., and are despatched at 11 25 a.m., and 2 45 and 7 10 p.m. Sunday despatches at 3 5 and 5 25 p.m. Money Order and
Telegraph Office and Savings Bank.
Post Office, Milton Bridge, Georgina Stewart, Post Mistress.— Letters from all parts arrive at 7 25 and 9 a.m., and at 5 45 and 7 30 p.m
and are despatched at 7 25 a.m., and 2 and 7 20 p.m. — - Money Order Office.
494

Images and transcriptions on this page, including medium image downloads, may be used under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence unless otherwise stated. Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence