‹‹‹ prev (1056)

(1058) next ›››

(1057)
DIRECTORY
CUMBERNAULD
DUMBARTONSHIRE
SHOPKEEPERS&DEALERS in GROCERIES
AND SUNDRIES.
Brash William, Condorret
Bryson Margaret, Cumbernauld
Jarvie A. Cumbernauld
M'Niven Janet, Cumbernauld
Roberts Ann, Cumbernauld
Whan Mrs- — , Cumbernauld
Wilson Robert, Cumbernauld
Young Thomas, Condorret
SMITHS.
Bryson Alexander, Cumbernauld
M'Auley Alexander, Condorret
M'Gregor John, Braefoot
Muir James, Fannyside
Pollock James, Cumbernauld
STONE QUARRIERS.
Cogbill — , Glencryan [Clyde st. Glasgow
Faill Alexander & John, Craiglinn, & 88 Great
Neilson David, Croy
Neilson W. D. Craighalbert
Short David, Netherwood
Tyler Archibald, Croy
Wilson William, Croy
TAILORS.
Gillies William, Cumbernauld
M'Douald D. A. Cumbernauld
Smellie Alexander (& draper), Cumbernauld
Smellie William, Cumbernauld
Young Archibald, Cumbernauld
MISCELLANEOUS.
Bullock Alexander, mineral borer, Cumbernauld
Calder Robert, dairyman, Cumbernauld
Hogg Henry, slater & plasterer, Cumbernauld
M'Gregor Charles, cooper, Cumbernauld
Malloeh Daniel, auctioneer, Cumbernauld
Meers Margaret, saddler & ironmonger, Cum-
bernauld [Kilmahew
Muikle Thomas, factor to J. W. Burns, Esq. of
Smellie James, newsagent, Auchenstorry
Strachan Mrs. — , watch & clock maker, Cum-
bernauld
Turnbull James, dairyman, Cumbernauld
Walker William, painter & paperhanger, Cum-
bernauld [bernauld
Watson James, assistant inspector of poor, Cuni-
Wood William, dairyman, Cumbernauld
Young Archibald, registrar of births, deaths &
marriages, Cumbernauld
Young John, stonemason, Cumbernauld
Public Buildings, Offices, &c.
PLACES OF WORSHIP
AND THEIR MINISTERS.
Established Church, Cumbernauld — Rev,
Hugh Park [Johnston
Established Church, Condorret — Rev. James
Free Church — Rev. Thomas Adam, m.a.
United Presbyterian Church— Rev. Robert
Primrose
Bowling Club, Cumbernauld — William Val-
lance, secretary & treasurer
Cumbernauld Curling Club — Charles J. Kerr,
president & secretary ; John Longwill, vice-
president ; Archibald Young, treasurer
Cumbernauld Horticultural Society — John
Crawford, president; Malcolm S. Warden,
secretary; John Longwill, treasurer
Cumbernauld LiterarySociety — Donald M'Phie,
president. ; John Longwill, secretary & treasr
Cumbernauld Masonic Hall— Jno. Kinniburgh,
r.w.m. ; Alexander Smellie, treasurer ; Archi-
bald Thomson, secretary [librarian
Cumbernauld News-room & Library— Jas. King,
Gas Works, Cumbernauld — John Longwill, sec.
& treasurer ; Alexander Bankier, manager &
collector
Parochial Board Offices, Cumbernauld — John
W. Burns, chairman ; John Longwill, inspec-
tor of poor & collector; John Murison, medi-
cal officer
CONVEYANCE BY RAILWAY,
ON THE CALEDONIAN LINE.
Station, at Cumbernauld, about two miles
from the village — William Currie, station
master
ON THE NORTH BRITISH LINE.
Station, at Croy, about three miles from Cum-
bernauld — James Brown, station master
Station, at Dullatur, about two miles from
Cumbernauld — James Buchanan, station
master
Station, at Castlecary, about two miles from
Cumbernauld — John Coventon, station
master
CARRIER.
To GLASGOW, Morris Frater, from Cumber'
nauld, Wednesday & Saturday
DUMBARTON,
WITH CARDROSS, DALREOCH, AND NEIGHBOURHOODS.
DUMBARTON is a royal burgh, the capital of the county and of
the parish to which it gives name ; 59 miles w. from Edinburgh,
15n.w. from Glasgow, 8 s.rc. from Helensburgh, and 3 s. from Bonhill.
situated on alow piece of ground encompassed on its western quar-
ter by tho Leven, about half a mile from its junction with the Clyde,
and almost secluded from the view of persons on the the latter river
by the intervening castle of Dumbarton, which stands on a huge
rocky eminence on the edge of the Frith, about half a mile from the
town. The rock of Dumbai'ton measures a mile in circumference at
its base, diminishing in breadth near the top, which is cloven into
two summits, one higher than the other; these are almost perpen-
dicular, and rise to a height of more than 300 feet. The fortress is
entered by a gate at the southern base of the rock, and here are sit-
uated the guardhouse and lodging for the officers, from whence the
.ascent is by some flights of stops to the part where the rock divides;
there is a strong battery, barracks for the garrison, and two large
'tanks always filled with water; abov e these arc several batteries
'which command a most extensive range, especially up and down
*.the Clyde; its defences are kept in constant repair, and it is
garrisoned by a limited body of military functionaries. The
house of tbe governor is judiciously placed in the cleft of
the rock, and erected in a style quite out of character with the
jncturesque outlines of the precipice. Some parts of the rock are
magnetic. The rock of Dumbarton has been occupied by works of
& warlike character throughout tho successive dynasties of
eighteen hundred years, and consequently is the most ancient
^stronghold in the country of which any record or tradition is preser-
ved. In Bede's time it was deemed almost impregnable ; but it was
reduced by famine in 756, and takeu by escalade in 1571 ; at other
periods it has sustained sieges and assaults which our space will
mot permit us to detail. Dumbarton suffered severely from an
isQundation of the rivers Clyde and Leven some time prior to 1607,
for So that year Parliament granted the inhabitants 37,000 merles
Scottish for raising bulwarks to prevent a similar calamity. The
burgh has greatly improved since 1855, when the Harbour and Police
Acts were adopted. The present town is chiefly composed of one
main street, lying in a semicircular form around the head or west
end of the peninsula: there are some by thoroughfare lanes and
detached houses, and an extensive suburb on the west side of the
Leven, leading to Ronton. It is connected with the latter by a good
stone bridge of five arches, reaching 300 feet in length. The waters
â–  of tho Levea form a commodious harbour, and to promote the
facility of trade an excellent quay and capacious dock have been
â– constructed by Messrs. Denny Brothers. A pier of pitch pine has
through tho exertions of Provost Bennett been erected, at a cost of
..£12,000. It extends seven hundred and sixty-five feet from the
â– base of the Castle rock, southwards, towards the channel of the
sriver Clyde; the gangway is six hundred and forty feet in length
and fifteen feet broad, and the pier head is ninety feet long and
twenty-five feet wide. The depth of the river at the extremity of
the pier head is ten feet at low water, so that steamers are able to
touch at the pier at all states of the tide. The pier, which is the
property of the Dumbarton corporation, was opened on the 8th of
- May, 1875. The streets, shops and houses are lighted with gas
supplied by the corporation. The town is plentifully supplied with
water, from the Long Craigs, and tho drainage is being rapidly
completed. Dumbarton was long famed for the manufacture of
crown glass, but that branch was finally extinguished in 1848. â–  The
discontinuance of this source of industry proved a serious drawback
26^
upon the previous prosperity of the town, for when thesa works
were in active operation they furnished labour to three hundred
workmen, and annually consumed 15,000 tons of coal, besides
employing a large tonnage of shipping, and paid from £40,000 to
£50,000 excise duties per annum ; tbe property is now io other
hands, and the engineering establishment of Messrs. Denny & Co.
occupies a portion of tho premises. The principal trade, and on
which the prosperity of the town chiefly depends, is that of ship-
building, which is carried on here extensively and with great spirit,
and at which about three thousand men are employed. There
are four extensive yards. Brewing, tanning, ironfounding, and
sail and rope making are also carried on to a limited extent.
In High street are branches of the Commercial Bank of Scotland,
Limited, the Clydesdale Bank, Limited, and the Union Bank of
Scotland, Limited. The British Linen Company have also opened
a branch bank, in Strathleven place. Dumbarton was erected into
a royal burgh by Alexander II. in the year 1221, and its privileges
(including its right of fishing iu the Leven) were confirmed by a
charter of James VI. The municipal government is vested in a
provost, three bailies, a dean of guild, a treasurer and eleven coun-
cillors. The sheriff ordinary court aud the commissary court are
held every Tuesday and Friday during session, the sheriff small
debt court every Tuesday during the session, and on vacation court
days. Quarter sessions aro held on tbe first Tuesdays in March,
May and August, and last Tuesday iu October. The burgh unites
with Renfrew and Port Glasgow in returning one member to Parlia-
ment. Renfrew is the returning bm-gh. The original County and
Burgh buildings were completed in 1*25, at mi expense exceeding
£5,000; the accommodation being found inadequate, in 1863 the in-
terior was entirely reconstructed, and two spacious wings also
added, at a cost of £5,170. They form a noblo structure, aud con-
tain convenient court rooms, with every suitable office ; the gaol is
placed at the roar of the court house, but it is not now used, the
prisoners being sent onto Glasgow. A combination poor house was
completed in 1865, at a cost of about £7,000, increased accommoda-
tion beiug supplied from time to time. It is situated on tho out-
skirts of the town, in a healthy and pleasant locality.
At the east end of High street stands the parish church, a hand-
some edifice, with a fine spire and clock; the erection was perfected
in 1811 at a cost of £6,000. A new district parish church is being
erected at the east end of the town, to be called Knoxland church ;
it is a fine edifice, in the Gothic style, and is estimated to cost «
about £4,500. The other places of worship are two Free churches
two United Presbyterian churches, auEpiscopal church— asplendid
stone edifice, erected in 1873 at the east end of High street and
Church place— and an Established church atDalreoch, a handsome
new stone building. A mission hall has been erected at a cost of
£500, situated in Church st; there are also Wesleyan Methodist,
Baptist and Roman Catholic chapels. All that remains of the
ancient collegiate church, founded in 1450 by Isabella, Duchess of
Albany and Countess of Lennox, and dedicated to St. Patrick, is
one of the tower arches, which has been removed and placed at the
entrance of the lato Burgh school, in Church street, the original
site being required for the formation of the Dumbartonshire mil-
way, which passes in the immediate vicinity of this once exti
pile. The principal educational establishment is tho
Academy, a truly eminent institution of long st
The late building proving insufficient lor the growing requ.v
of the town, a much larger and really handsome erection was pro*
393

Images and transcriptions on this page, including medium image downloads, may be used under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence unless otherwise stated. Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence