‹‹‹ prev (1002)

(1004) next ›››

PUBLIC BUILDINGS, &c— continued.
Registrars of Births, Deaths & Marriages —
James Cox, for Eyemouth; Thomas Thomp-
son, for Ayton
Stamp Office, Royal Bank, Ayton — Alexander
Thompson, suh-distributor
Stamp Office, Commercial Bank — James L.
Rae, sub-distributor
Station at Ayton — John Yule, station master
Station at Burnmouth— — Koan, station
A conveyance from the Red Lion Hotel, Ayton,
attends the arrival and departure of each
train at Ayton station
A mail car carrying passengers to Eyemouth,
leaves Ayton Station and Eyemouth as fol-
lows:— From Ayton, 610 a.m. 9 17 a.m. 1 22
p.m. 6 20 p.m. ; from Eyemouth, 7 25 a.m.
11 50 a.m. 7 50 p.m.
from Eyemouth, & Robert Gillies, from
Ayton, Saturday
and David Meek, from Eyemouth, daily
FOULDEN is a parish and village, the latter one of the prettiest
little places in the county, and was formerly a burgh of barony,
62 miles e. by s. of Edinburgh, 10 e. of Duns, and 5 n.e. of Berwick ;
pleasantly situated on the north side of the Whitadder river,
which is here confined between steep banks. Within the last twenty
years the dwellings have been nearly all rebuilt in a neat and
picturesque style. The parish, which lies in the eastern part of
the Merse district, is two and a half miles in length by two in
breadth, bounded by Ayton on the north and Hutton on the south,
and contains about 8,278 acres. Foulden church is celebrated as
having been the meeting place of the commissioners sent by Queen
Elizabeth to vindicate her execution of Mary Queen of Scots. In
1881 the parish bad a population of 39S.
The parish of Mordington lies in the south-eastern corner of
the county, and the kirk is about one mile from Foulden. It was
in the mansion house of Mordington that Cromwell, when ho passed
the Tweed for the first time, established his quarters. It hns been
errronoously asserted that the Princess Margaret was married to
James IV. in Lamberton church (now in ruins) in this parish. At
the boundary of the parish, with the liberties of Berwick, is the
toll-bar and hamlet of Lamberton, and at this place (within the
Scottish border) marriages were solemnised in the same summary
manner, and on precisely the same principles as they were at better
known Gretna. The remains of a Danish camp, Edrington Castle,
situate at *op of a steep rock, and the "Witches' Know," 649 feet
high, where, little more than a century ago, several unfortunate
woman were burned for witchcraft, are objects not unworthy the
notice of the traveller journeying through this part of the county.
Ironstone some years ago was discovered within the parish, and
subsequently coal has been got on the estate of Major Charles
Frederick Campbell Renton, of Mordington House. The parish
contains about 2,939 acres, and had in 1881 a population of 367.
POST OFFTCE, Foulden, William Weathorstone, Post Master.— Letters from all parts arrive (from Berwick, by messenger
Sundays excepted) at 9-30 a.m. and are despatched thereto at 1 p.m. B^s" The nearest Money Order Office is at Berwick.
Chirnside George, Esq. Edrington House,
Christio Rev. Alaxander, m.a. Mordington
HaBtie Mr. James, Edrington Castle
Logan David, Esq. j.p. Brow of the Hill
Renton Major Charles Frederick Campbell,
Mordington House
Cockbnrn Mary, Greenfield. Foulden
Craw Henry, West Mains, Foulden
Davidson — , St. John's, Foulden
Fender Andrew, Foulden Deans
Fender William & John, Mordington Mains
Hay George, Nuulands, Foulden
Jack Gavin, Newtown, Foulden
Marshall Robert, West Edge, Mordington
M'Dougal Robert, Foulden Hill
Mein James, Lamberton, Mordington
Millican Gilbert, New Mains, Poulden
Purves David, New Farm, Foulden
Rae Robert, Bumbank, Foulden
Allan John, shoemaker, Mordington
Blackball Alexander,shopkeeper,Mordington
Bogue John, joiner & cartwright, Mordington
Cunningham Catherine, schoolmistress,
Jeffrey Peter, smith, Mordington
Mason Peter, shoemaker, Foulden
Jeffrey Thomas, blacksmith, Foulden
Muir Thoma3, maBter of Board school, in-
spector of poor, and registrar of births,
deaths & marriages, Mordington
Shedd Jas. master of Board school, inspector
of poor, and registrar of births, deaths &
marriages, Foulden
Smith John, carpenter, Foulden [Foulden
Weatherstone Wm. tailor, draper & grocer,
1 3
Established Church, Foulden— Rev. John
D. Douglas
Established Church, Mordington —
Free Church, MordiDgton— Rev. Alex.
Christie, M.A.
The nearest stations are at Berwick and
Ayton, each about 6 miles distant
GREENLAW is a burgh of barony, and considered (although Duns
is considerably larger) the county town of Berwickshire ; it is
37 miles s.e. from Edinburgh, 20 w. from Berwick, 12 e. from Lauder,
7% s.w. from Duns, and 10 n.w. from Coldstream. It is situated in
a valley, on the north bank of the Blackadder, which stream is
crossed by two bridges, and consists of one long street, with a large
square or green, where the fairs were held, in the centre of which are
the county buildings. After Berwick was taken by the English, the
sheriff and county courts were transferred first to Old Greenlaw
(which was one mile to the south, but of which no vestiges remain),
and subsequently to the present town, where they have been held
ever since, except for a short time during the turbulent reign of
Charles I., when they held their sittings at Dnns. Being seated
near the centre of the shire, Greenlaw was by royal charter in 1596,
and by Act of Parliament in 1696, ordained the head burgh of the
county. A sheriff court and one for the recovery of small debts are
held monthly; the justices' court sits at Duns. The old gaol and
courthouse, which stood in the churchyard, have been superseded
by the present strong and handsome prison and elegant county
buildings, erected in 1831. at the sole expense of, and presented to
the shire by, the late Sir W. H. Campbell. The parish of Greenlaw
lies in the centre of the Merse, extending seven or eight miles in
longth, from north to south, and on an average about two miles in
breadth, containing about 12,149 acres. The surface of the land is
for the most part level, rising occasionally into Blight detatched
eminences; Sheep walks, moor, and soil adapted to turnips are tho
main characteristics of the land. Besides the Established church,
there are places of worship for Free church and United Presbyterian
congregations. A cattle fair used to bo held on the 22nd of May,
and on the last Thursday in October, but those aro now discon-
tinued. In 1881 the parish contained a population of 1,245, and the
village 747.
Gordon village is 5 miles from Greenlaw, ou the road from Edin-
burgh to Kelso. The river Eden intersects the parish which extends
seven miles in length, by from two to four in breadth, and contains
9,713 acres. At Gordon resided, as it is believed, the ancestors of
the present Duke of Gordon, and Huntly and Huntlywood, the
names of two farms in the parish, claim the honour of giving the
title of Marquis of Huntly to his Grace's eldest son, Greenknowe
Tower, a venerable structure (now the property of the representatives
of the late James Dalrymple, Esq.), was frequently had recourse to
as a place of refuge by the inhabitants.who fled thither when sudden-
ly surprised by incursions of the English, prior to the union between
the two kingdoms. An Established church and a Free church are
the places of worship. The parish of Gordon had in 1881 a popu-
lation of 832, the villago having 330 of this number.
Hume is a small village, situate 3 miles south from Greenlaw ; it
is a joint parish with Stichel (Roxburghshire). The remains of
Hume Castle, noted during the contentions on the borders, stand
on a bold eminence, which commands evtensive and picturesque
views over the groater portion of tho Merse and Roxburghshire.
The soil is very rich and fertile and in a high state of cultivation.
A Board school is in the village, and burial ground, but no place of
worship. The joint parish contains an area of 6,898 acres, and in
1881 had a population of 749.
POST OFFICE, Greenlaw, Henry Miller, Post Master.— Letters from all parts arrive (from Edinbnrgh, Melrose and the Sonth) at
9-10 a.m., and from Edinburgh at 4-55 p.m., and from Dnns at 10-10 a.m. and 1-25 p.m., and are despatched to Edinburgh at 2-5 p.m., to
the North and South at 4-20 p.m., and to Duns at 4-30 a.m. IS" Money Order and Telegraph Office and Savings Bank,
Letters should be addressed " Greenlaw, Berwickshire.'"
Post Office, Gordon, Jane Brotherston, Post Mistress.— L otters arrive from all parts at 9-15 a.m., and are despatched thereto at
4-45 p.m. Lotters should be addressed " Gordon, Berwickshire."
Post Office, Hume, James Leitoh, Post Master.— Letters arrive (by messenger from Kelso) at 11-40 a.m ., and are despatched at 3-35 p.m

Images and transcriptions on this page, including medium image downloads, may be used under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence unless otherwise stated. Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence