‹‹‹ prev (298)

(300) next ›››

(299)
DIRECTORY
GLASGOW
LANARKSHIRE
in London, a native of Glasgow. Ho gifted the lands and island of
Sunnu, in the county of Argyll, to the Lord Provost and Bailies of
Glasgow, and directed the rents and profits to be applied towards
the following public purposes:— (1) For the benefit of the city in
buildings or in any other charitable or useful purpose. (2) For cer-
tain of the professors in the University. (3) For tho benefit of
Anderson's College. (4) For the benefit of the Infirmary. Speirs'
Mortification, founded in 1850, by Mrs. Mary Buchanan or Spiers.
The funds are to be divided among four decayed members of the
Merchants' House, or their widows or orphans. Tenure, four years.
Amount of funds for division, .£80 per annum. SpreulPs Mortifica-
tion, dated 4th December, 1765, by James Spreull, merchant in
Glasgow, to be^iven to a poor merchant, burgess, or his widow or
daughter. Amount. M per annum. St. Nicholas' Hospital, founded
and endowed iu 145G, by Bishop Mnirhead. The funds are to be ex-
clusively applied to tho maintenance of poor and indigent old
persons. Amount of pension paid to each, £3. Tennant's Mortifi-
cation, for the education of poor female children, and granting
pensions to several poor widows. Thomson's Mortification, founded
24th April, 1717, by Jamos Thomson, tanner in Glasgow, for the
maintenance of six poor old men of the trades' rank. Thomas
Thomson's Mortification, founded by Thomas Thomson, merchant
iu Glasgow, ISth September, 1720, £4T0s. per annum, for distribu-
tion among the indigent poor, without distinction, in amounts
varying from Is. Sd. to 5s. Wardrop's Bequest, datod 2nd Septem-
ber, 1824, made by James Wardrop, coppersmith in Glasgow. The
funds areto be applied, in connection with the Sanders' Mortifica-
tion, in educating and clothing an apprentice during the last year
of his apprenticeship. Amount, £3 12s.
Natives of every county in Scotland have found a home in Glas-
gow, and there is scarcely one that does not give its name to a
society composed of such persons united together for tho two-fold
objects of cherishing home momories and aiding persons from tho
same districts who may have fallen into distress. Although
not eleemosynary in their character, this seems the place to advert
to the cheap dining halls which have been established here, and
have supplied a model for other towns throughout the kingdom.
The distinguishing characteristic of the scheme principally was
that every article sold— a cup of tea or coffee, a basin of broth, or
whatever it was— should be charged a peuuy. There are a central
depot where the cooking is done, and nearly thirty branch estab-
lishments where the viands are retailed. In any one of these a
good, wholesome and abundant dinner can be obtained — a dinner of
three courses and dessert — can be had for fourpence halfpenny.
RELIGIOUS AND MORAL SOCIETIES.
Missionary effort in Glasgow commands, as it deserves, an exten-
sive and encouraging sympathy, and in connection with the
Religious Tract and Book Society, which we gladly give a brief
notice of, will, it is trusted, continue to prosper. The object of the
Religious Tract and Book Society is to promote the diffusion of a
healthy religious literature, especially among tho humbler classes
of the people, by the gratuitous distribution of tracts, and the offering
by the system of colportourage, of periodicals of a sound religious
character for sale, at tho houses of those who might not be
attracted to them at tho ordinary book shops. Other societies for
religious objects are also very numerous, and are liberally supported.
There are several Bible Societies and Sabbath School Societies,
besides the Young Men's Christian Association, a numerous body,
organised after the Society in London, bearing the same name, and
in connection with which a course of lectures is delivered every
winter by eminent men. The Abstainers' Union is a body which
also deserves mention. Organised with tho view of abating the |
vice of drunkenness, tho directors seek to wean men from the
tavern and tap-room by holding out to them other' amusements.
In winter they have concerts every Saturday evening in the City
Hall, which is invariably thronged.
PLACES OF AMUSEMENT.
The Tlieatre Royal is in Cowcaddens. Externally there are no
architectural features noteworthy, but the interior is sumptuously
fitted up. The Grand Theatre is also located in Cowcaddens, and is
very commodious ana comfortable. The Gaiety Theatre is situa-
ted in Sauchiehall street. The Neio Royalty Theatre, opened
December, 1879, also in Sauchiehall street, is internally one of tho
handsomest in the kingdom; there is also a theatre called the
Royal Princess's, at the ^outh Side. The Glasgow Athenmvm, in
Ingram street, was instituted in 1847. Tho object of the institu-
tion is to place within the roach of the public the fullest and most
recent information on all subjects of general interest, whether com-
mercial, literary, or scientific ; to provide an agreeable place of
resort in the intervals of business ; to incite, especially among
young men, a taste for intellectual and elevatiug pursuits, aud to
secure the means of its gratification by affording the utmost
facilities for systematic study in various branches of useful know-
ledge. The reading rooms are abundantly supplied with the earliest
telegraphic intelligence, newspapers, and periodicals of every kiud,
and the library contains upwards of 11,000 volumes. The Royal
Botanic Gardens, Great Western road, are highly deserving of in-
spection. The hothouses are extensive and well supplied with
specimens of the floral and other vegetable productions of every
tropical clime ; they also contain a large Winter Garden. There
are three music halls, viz., the Royal, in Dunlop street ; the Scotia,
in Stockwell street ; and the Britannia, in Trongate.
POPULATION.
Population of the City of Glasgow on tho 3rd April, 1881, arranged as
to registration districts, with the total at the census of 1871.
Bridgeton District 89,628
Anderston District
Hutchesontown,, . .
Gorbals „ . .
Tradcston „ . .
Kiiming Park „ . .
Total of city registration districts in 1881 .
Total of city registration districts in 1871.
Increase in tho city
. SUBURBAN DISTRICTS.
1871.
Partick 23,837
Govan 10,890
Rutherglen 10,706
Maryhill 6,659
Pollokshaws 8,921
Shettleston 7,517
Shawlands 626
Cathcart, Crossbill, Mount Florida,
Langside and Crossmyloof 7,231
Hutchesontown (Landward), Polmadie,
Jenny's Burn, parts of Govanhill, and
Stratbbungo 1,008
Tradestou (Landward), East Pollok-
shields, parts of Strathbungo and
Crossbill
Kiuniug Park, Landward
Dennistoun, Landward
St. Rollox, Landward
Gorbals, Landward
1881.
88,985
51,78S
13,786
18,886
9,334
9,229
798
12,198
5,950
1,411
— 5,451
8,953
— 16,757
8,298
— 6,009
239
— 954
1,565
— 5,010
1,930
— 193,020
101,930
Total 101,930
Increase in suburbs 91,090
GENERAL ABSTRACT.
City & Suburbs,1871 593,554
do. do. 1881 704,436
Increase of population 100,882
The estimated population of the city and suburbs at tho close of 1884
was 745,000.
Camlachie
Dennistoun
Calton
Blackfriars
St. Rollox
Blythswood
Milton
Kelvin
37,988
46,116
37,448
83,960
42,479
30,403
35,610
53,787
NEIGHBOURING BURGHS.
Govan, at present the eighth burgh (Royal, Parliamentary, or other-
wise) in Scotland in respect of population or rental, is beautifully
situated on the south bank of the Clyde, about three miles west of
Glasgow. Though outside tho municipal boundaries of the city, the
burgh is now almost one with it, there being a continuous line of
houses connecting the two. It has little to interest the visitor beyond
its extensive shipbuilding yards, which for the construction of iron
vessels have earned a world-wide reputation. It has numerous public
works, including two silk mills, tho oldest of which, situated at the
side of the river, and belonging to Morris Pollock & Son, was the first
in which silks were spun in Scotland. There are nineteen places of
worship within the burgh ; six of these are connected with the Church
of England, four United Presbyterian, four Free, one Episcopalian, one
Baptist, one Congregational ist, one Evangelical Union, and one Roman
Catholic. The parish church is picturesquely situated near the river,
and is surmounted by a handsome spire, in imitatiou of that at Strat-
ford-on-Avon. There are also a handsome academy and eight public
schools. Elder Park, presented to the inhabitants of Govan by Mrs.
Elder, was opened with much ceremony in August, 1885, by Lord Rose-
bery. The burgh contains an area of 1,100 aores, and by the census re-
turns of 1871 had a population of 19,899 ; which had increased in 1881
to 51,783.
The burgh of Partick, opposite Govan on the other side of the river,
is also a coutiuuation of Glasgow. It is irregularly built, but environed
by agreeable scenery. There are several mills and factories aud boat-
building yards in the plaue. It contains three Established, two Free
and three United Presbyterian churches, and several schools. Tho
population has increased with extraordinary rapidity. In 1861, it was
14,S01 ; in 1871, 23,904 ; aud in 1881, 38,985.
Mauvhill, a burgh fcnree miles north-west of Glasgow, is situated on
tho banks of the river Kelvin, which stream is crossed by the Forth and
Clyde caual, by the medium of a noble aqueduct of lofty altitude; the
village contains one Established, one Free, one United Presbyterian
church, and a Roman Catholic chapel. There are print works, iron
foundries, bleach works, and glass works. The population in 1871 was
7,945, and in 1881, 18,386-
CnossMVLooF is a finely situated little hamlet, composed principally
of plain houses ranged on both sides of the highway, about two miles
south from Glasgow, commanding a wide spreading prospect of the
surrounding country, studded with towns, villages, and mansions, and
bounded at the extreme distance by the misty Pentlands. The United
Presbyterians have a place of worship here. An extensive baking
establishment was erected in 1847 by the late Mr. Thomson, of Camp-
hill, for the purpose of supplying the city of Glasgow with bread. There
is also a small iron forge in the village.
Kinning Park, situated to the south-west of Glasgow, was created a
burgh 6th September, 1871. Ithas one Established, one Methodist, and
one Congrt^atiuiial church. In 1871, it contained apopulation of 9,857,
and in 1881, 13,001.
Crosshill burgh, created September, 1871, has a population of 2,960.
It has one UnitedPresbyterian church, one Established church, one Free
church, and one Methodist chapel.
Govanhill burgh, created 4th July, 1877. Population in 1881, 9,636,
Hillhead, situated close to the University, was created a burgh 14lb
May, 1869, The houses are almost without exception the dwellings of
the wealthier middle class. Population in 1871, 3,718, and in 1881,
0,684.
IMLLOKSHIELDS burgh, created m 1876. Population in 1881, 2,104.
Sfringburn, two and a half miles; Parkuead, two miles; Toll-
orosS] three miles; and Shettleston, three and a half miles, arc vil-
lager situated the abovo distances from Glasgow, and contain works o£
various kiuds of manufactures, giving employm enii to a largo number
of inhabitants*

Images and transcriptions on this page, including medium image downloads, may be used under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence unless otherwise stated. Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence