‹‹‹ prev (293)

(295) next ›››

iron. The Union Railway bridge crosses about 165 yards east of
tbe Victoria Bridge. It was opened in 1870, bus a very plain
appearance, andconsistsof five river spans of 75fcet clear each, and
two street spans of 65 feet each, each pier consisting of two cast
iron cylinders, sunk to a depth of 90 feet below high water level,
the top of the riers being 30 feet above high water, the cost being
£38,000. The Victoria Bridge, at the foot of Stockwell street, stands
on the site of the " auld brig o' Glasgow," bnilt about 1345. The
present bridge, which was opened for traffic in 1856, has five arches
of from 67 to 80 feet in span, is built of white granite, and is 445
feet long and 60 feet wide. Tbe Caledonian Railway bridge has five
spans of 110, 1G6, 200, 178 and 66 feet respectively, starting from the
north side. The piers are sunk to a great depth, and are formed of
concrete cased in iron, with granite above the low water level.
It is 115 feet west from Glasgow Eridge, and there is a clear
waterway at high tide of 32 feet. The height of the girders across
the piers on the river is 21 feet and across the streets 11 feet. The
cost was about £80,l'00. The river between the opposite quays has
not only been widened, but is progressively being deepened through
the instrumentality of dredging machines, so that ships of upwards
of 1,000 tons burthen now discbarge at the Broomielaw. The mud
raised by the machines is conveyed down the Clyde in flats, and
spread where tbe shore is low and swampy, by which process tbe
banks of the river are raised, and a rich soil is deposited. A diving
bell is also employed as an assistant in dredging operations.
The main line of street, running east and west, is nearly four
miles in length and eighty feet wide, assuming at different pointB
the names of Gallowgate, Trongate, Argyle street, &c. Noble houses
and handsome shops, with few exceptions, rango on both sides
throughout the entire line. The street which runs from north to
south is about a mile in length and fifty feet broad, bearing succes-
sively the names of Castle street, Kirk street, High street and the
far-famed Saltmarket, anciently the abiding place of Bailie Nicol
Jarvie, and ; ' mony mair bailies." The point of intersection of
these two lines is called The Cross, and was at one time, before the
population bad progressed westwai'd, the nucleus of the city. Here
stands the Town Hall, in which the Corporation for many years held
their meetings. It is no longer used for that purpose, the Town
Council assembling in an elegant hall forming part of the County
buildings, which, extending from Wilson street to Ingram street,
cover a large space of ground. Opposite the old Town Hall is an
equestrian statue of William in., presented to the city in 1736 by
James M'Crea, Esq., then governor of Madras, and a native of Glas-
gow. Parallel with Argyle street, towards the north, are three other
splendid streetB, named Ingram street, St. Vincent street, and
George street, crossed by others of uniform elegance , but Buchanan
street, passing in a northern direction from Argyle street, opposite
St. Enoch square, is the handsomest business street in the city.
Parallel with this is Queen street. Sauchiehall street, which runs
irom Buchanan street westward nearly a mile, ranks amongst the
finest streets in the city. The shops on its southern side are very
handsome and attractively stored. Tbe architectural taste dis-
played in the western section of the city is of the first order, and to
it the two fine squares, George and Blytbswood, along with the
handsome streets and crescents that have lately sprung up beyond
them, add a graceful magnificence. Park gardens, quadrant, and
Circus, the Claremont gardens, and Woodside terrace, all challenge
admiration, by their spacious and handsome appearance. The
houses are all of stone, and the construction and arrangement of
the streets impart to this vicinity a resemblance of a portion of
Bath. In George square are magnificent equestrian statues of the
Queen and the late Prince Consort, which occupy corresponding
positions inside the quadrangle. A tall pillar, surmounted by a
statue of Sir Walter Scott, rises between them, while figures of Sir
John Moore, Lord Clyde, Sir Robert Peel, the late Thomas Graham
(Master of the Mint, and a native of Glasgow), and James Watt, also
adorn tbe square. The last affords an exquisitely graceful and
happy example of the sculptor's art. Burns' monument, erected by
public subscription of not more than one shilling from each person,
and which amounted in three months to ,-£2,000, was inaugurated,
amid a grand public demonstration, on the anniversary of Burns'
birthday. The pedestal consists of grey granite, and has
bronze bas reliefs on its panels contributed by towns in
the west of Scotland, and forming illustrations of Burns' works ;
the statue is nine feet high, and represents Burns in the gaib
of a small farmer of his time, grasping a Kilmarnock bonnet,
standing against the stump of a tree, and musing over a daisy.
Two other monuments have a position in George square— Dr.
Livingstone and the poet Campbell ; both were erected in 1877, each
comprising a standing bronze statue by John Mossman, and a
granite pedestal. Dr. Livingstone's statue represents him in
simple rough travelling costume, standing by the stump of a
palm tree, holding a bible, and seemingly in the act of speaking;
and Campbell's represents him in the costume of the latter part
of George IV.'s reign, holding a scroll and appearing to be about
to write: The old town lies to the east of the Trongate, extending
to the Clyde on the south, and to tho Cathedral on the north.
The Argyle arcade runs from Argyle street to Buchanan street,
and contains attractive shops, covered in by a lofty roof of glass.
There is a second arcade in Sauchiehall street, called the Welling-
ton, and one from Renfrew street in connection with it, called the
Victoria ; the Bazaar (the Coveut Garden of Glasgow), is situated in
Candlerigg street.
Conspicuous among the throng of elegant buildings which adorn
the city are the banking establishments, many of which are archi-
tecturally beautiful, and all are proud testimonials to the com-
mercial enterprise of this port, of which they are representatives.
Among them we may mention the Bank of Scotland, erected in
1867, in the ornamental Italian style, and having oyer its St.
"Vincent place entrance a ponderous entablature resting on noble
cattle caryatides, from the chisel of William Mossman. The
Union Bank of Scotland, Limited, in Ingram street, having
undergone extensive alterations, now presents a fine appearance,
being ornamentally one of the richest in the city. The building is
in the Italian style, with a frontage of 106 feet to the above-named
street. To a height of six feet from the pavement the outer sur-
face of the masonry is of polished Aberdeen granite, varying from
twelve to sixteen inches in thickness. Surmounting the main en* ,
trance is a massive open pediment embellished with carved work,
in the centre of which is a raised sculptural group, representing
the figures, shield, and coat of arms engraved on the notes issued
by this bank. The building, of which Mr. Burnet, of Glasgow,
was the architect, is estimated to have cost over £30,000. The
Clydesdale Bank, Limited, on the north side of St. Vincent place,
was erected in 1873, after designs by Mr. John Burnet. It rises to a
height of throe storeys, has a frontage of 134 feet, and fiankage of
109 feet. It is rusticated in the front of the first storey, Ionic in
that of the second, and Corinthian in that of the third. On the
south side of St. Vincent place are situated the offices of the
Scottish Amicable Assurance Company, erected in 1872-3, after
designs by Messrs. Campbell, Douglas & Sailors. The building is
iu the highly ornate Italian style, and exhibits symbolic features of
Faith, Justice, and Amity, from the chisel of Mr. William Mossman.
Some of the warehouses and offices of recent erection are also large
and imposing buildings ; notably so are the immense wholesale
warehouses of Messrs. J. & W. Campbell & Co.. and a superb range
of offices known as Victoria buildings, in West Regent street- either
of these piles, if advantageously situated, would have a command-
ing effect. The Royal Exchange, in Queen street, is also a very
handsome structure. The principal entrance ia by a grand portico
of twelve fluted Corinthian pillars, thirty feet high. After passing
through a tasteful vestibule, the visitor enters the ^reat reading
room, which is 130 feet long and 62 feet wide ; tbe lofty roof is
supported by a double row of columns 19 feet high, each composed
of a single stone. A dome, supported by twelve Corinthian pillars,
surmounts the building. The great room is supplied with all the
leading newspapers, and strangers areconrteously allowed the privi-
leges of the room upon subscribing their names. In front stands
the equestrian statue of the Duke of Wellington, unsurpassed for
grace of styl* and truthfulness of expression. It was erected in
1844, at a cost of £10,000. The numerous apartments above and
below the Exchange are appropriated to various commercial pur-
poses. The new Stock Exchange, in Buchanan street, which was
opened in 1877, is in the early French-Gothic style of architecture,
three storeys in height, and has a highly ornamental and striking
appearance. The buildings, of which Mr. Burnet was the architect,
cost upwards of £50,000. The Municipal buildings, in Wilson street,
form a splendid group of Grecian architecture; in front is an Ionic
portico, chastely proportioned; the fagade is handsome, stately and
imposing. Internally it contains a council hall (in which the
municipal body hold their meetings), splendidly decorated ; there
are also the fiscal's chamber, and other public offices, all handsomely
fitted up and beautiful. New municipal buildings are now in course
of erection the foundation stone of which was laid on October 6th,
1883, by the Lord Pruvost. The main front faces George square, and.
the portion already erected is intended for the accommodation of
the various officials of the Corporation. The town clerk's depart-
ment will occupy the ground and first floors, extending from the
entrance in George square, half-way along the Cochrane street ele-
vation. The rooms in the opposite portion of the George square
front will be set apart for the chamberlain's and finance depart-
ments, and in the John street portion of the building accommoda-
tion will be found for the gas and water departments. Facing Coch-
rane street, and entering from the south-east corner of the quad-
rangle, the public works office will be situated, and in this portion
of the building will also be found the office of the clerk of the
peace. On the ground floor the medical officer of health and the
superintendent of the cleansing department will both have offices,
a portion of the second floor being set apart for the Dean of Guild
Court, a room here also being provided for the Lord Dean. The
building when completed, before which time, however, several years
must elapse, will be another addition to the many elegant structures
of which this citv can boast. The Merchants' House— one of the
wealthiest corporations in Glasgow— erected in 1874-7, is in tho
massive highly ornamental style, having at its north-east corner a
tower 122 feet high, and presents a frontage of 98 feet to George
square and 96 feet to George street. The Chamber of Commerce
occupies a portion of the building. The Trades' Hall, in Glassford
street, is a very handsome building ; the front consists of a centre
and wings, supported by a rustic basement, four Doric columns
above support the entablature, and a dome, surmounted by a lantern,
rises from the roof. The hall, one of the finest rooms in the
city, is 70 feet long, 35 broad, and 24 high, exclusive of the dome.
Oo the walls and staircases are hung portraits of persons of the
trades' rank that have conferred donations on the House, and also
tablets recording the names of the conveners from 1605 to the
present time. The City Hall, in Candleriggs street, is a very spacious
building, in which public meetings are commonly held. The new
Public Halls, in Granville street, are a most imposing block of
buildings, iu the Grecian style, having a frontage to Granville street
of 200 feet, and are composed of two wings and a centre— the
former being flanked with great piers, between which are four
Ionic pillars. 32ft. high, the centre part having eight similar pillars.
The street floor is of a simple and severe style ; the upper storeys
contain large figures about 10 feet high, representing Music,
Painting, Science, Architecture, Poetry, &c, the names of many
ancient composers, painters, &c, occupying prominent positions.
The reception room is 75 feet by 40 feet, and is 32 feet high. The
large hall is 185 feet long (including the back gallery), 75 feet wide
and 58 feet high. The hall can accommodate 2,300 persons at a full
dress concert, and 3,800 at a popular meeting. Tho ball room
measures 80 feet by 60 feet, and the supper room 60 feet by 183£ feet
The large organ is one of the finest in tbe country. In Hope street
stands the Corn Exchange, a spacious and handsome structure,
with a portico, sustained by Corinthian fluted columns ; the interior
is fitted up in complete adnptation to the peculiar transactions
of this important market, held every Wednesday. There are
several corn mills in and around Glasgow upon a scale of great
At the back of the Cathedral is a rocky eminence called the
Merchants' Park, upon the summit of which, on a fluted Doric
column, 58 feet high, is placed a colossal statue of the illustrious
Scottish reformer, John Knox ; appropriate inscriptions are
sculptured on the four sides of the pedestal. This proud monu-
ment, so attractive from its position and magnitude, was raised in
the year 1825. Contiguous to this is another, similar in character

Images and transcriptions on this page, including medium image downloads, may be used under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence unless otherwise stated. Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence