‹‹‹ prev (56)

(58) next ›››

(57)
, DIRECTORY
EDINBURGH
The United
n Castle terrace
Edinburgh lias other societies too numerous to be properly
noticed in our limited space, such as the Wernerian, the Diagnos-
tic the Dialectic, the Horticultural, the Hunterian, the Forensic,
Che Juridical, the Scots Law, the Speculative, the Phrenological,
the Harveian.the Medico-Chirurgical, the Geological, the Obstetri-
cal, the Literary, and the Metaphysical.
Theological College of the Scottish Episcopal Church.— This
Institution had its origin in the pious _ benefaction of
Catherine Paulon, residing near Fraserburgh, m the county of
Aberdeen, which was entrusted in the year 1810 to the Lishops ot
the Scottish Church, for the purpose of " erecting and endowing
a semiuary of learning, or theological institution, for the educa-
tion of young men desirous to serve in the sacred ministry ot the
ScJtch Episcopal Communion." In 1833 the Rev. Dr. Andrew Bell
founded, in connection with the Institution, ohe lectureship
which bears his name. The valuable library of the Right Rev.
Alexander Jolly, ».»., Bishop of Moray, was bequeathed to the
Institution in 1838. The Library of the late Rev. G. H. Forbes
has been placed by the Forbes Trustees in 8, Rosebery crescent, and
is available to students applying tq the Librarian, Rev. Canon W.
Bell. In consequence of a destructive tire at Trinty College,
Glenahuond, in which the buildings occupied by the divinity
students were biu'iied to the ground, the theological classes were
removed temporarily to Edinburgh in January, 1876; and in the
following year the Bishops determined that the Theological
College should be situated permanently in that city. The classes
meet in the Theological Hall, 8 and 9, Rosebery crescent.
High School ojf Edinburgh, Regent Road,— The date of the
foundation of this school is unknown, but it appears to have
existed as early as the beginning of the twelfth century. From
that time to the Reforms iti on, *' the Grammar School of
Edinburgh," as it was then called, was under the control of the
Canons or Holy rood. In 1598 it was re-modelled on a nmre compre-
hensive plan, and from the patronage vouchsafed to it by James
VI., it received the name of Sclwla liegia Edinburgensis. The
course of study has since, from time to lime, been extended and
improved, so as to meet the advancing demands of the age.
Although at first exclusively a classical, seminary, it now furnishes
systematic ins: ruction in all the departments of a commercial as
well as of a liberal education. The English language and
literature, including reading, orthography, recitation, grammar,
and composition, together with the history of Great Britain, form
prominent parts of the system ; while the entire curriculum of
study— which occupies six years— embraces the Latin, Greek,
French, and German languages, history, geography, and
physiology, with writing, arithmetic, algebra and geometry,
drawing, fencing, gymnastics, and military drill. There is a
library con ainlng nearly 7,U00 volumes selected by the rector and
masters, to which all the pupils have access. The High School
originally stood in the Old Town, near the site of the old Infirmary.
It was rebuilt on nearly the same spot in 1777. As this situation
had become unsuitable, from the great extension of the city north-
wards, and as the accommodation had proved inadequate to the
rapidly increasing number of pupiis, the present splendid
structure was founded in 1825, on the south slope of the Calton
Hill, winch was deemed more convenient for the inhabitants of
the city. The edifice, which cost £30,000, and was designed by the
late Thomas Hamilton, architect, was completed in 1829. The
main building, 270 feet in length, has a magnificent hexastyle
Doric portico in the centre, whieli is united to the wings by two
corridors, the entablatures of which are supported by twelve
columns, also of the Doric order. There is ample accommodation
for conducting the various branches of study. The playground, a
portion of which is rooted over, is spacious, extending to nearly
tpo acres, and commands a picturesque view of the ancient city
and surrounding country.
George Heriot's Hospital, Lauriston. — George Heriot was born
at Edinburgh about the year 1503. He followed his father's
trade of a goldsmith, and in 1597 wasappointed goldsmith to Anne
of Denmark, the queen of James VI. Shortly afterw r ards be was
nominated jeweller and goldsmith to the king ; and when the
court was removed to London, in 1603, Heriot followed in its train.
He died there February 12, 1624, having, by a will dated in the
previous year, bequeathed the residue of his property, amounting
to £23,625, to the erection of an hospital, " for the mainetenance,
releife, bringing upp, and education of poore fatherlesse boyes,
freemen s sonnes of the tnvne of Edinburgh." The foundation
stone was laid July 1, 1628, but owing to the civil war and other
causes, the building was not opened till April 11, 1659 The ex-
pense of the erection exceeded £30,000 sterling. The management
is vested in the L rd Provost, Magistrates, and Town Council of
the city, and in the Es ablished Clergy of Edinburgh — in all fifty-
four in number. Two hundred and sixteen boys are maintained
in the Hospital — one hundred and twenty resident, and ninety-
six non-resident. The age of admission is between seven and ten ;
in exceptional case*, non residents may bo admitted between ten
and twelve. The boys leave at fourteen, unless they pass examina-
tion as ''hopeful scholars," They are taught English, French,
Latin, and Greek, writing, arithmetic, book-keeping, geography,
mathematics, drawing, shorthand, vocil music, and dancing.
Those who maniest talents and a desire for the learned pro-
fessions are sent to the University of Edinburgh, with an allow-
ance for four sessions of i'30 a year ; and there are a number of
apprentices who receive bursary allowances to forward them in
their calling. Ten out-door bursaries of £20 a year are likewise
bestowed on deserving students in the College. On leaving the
Hospital, the boys are provided T\ith clothes and suitable books;
such of them as become apprentices for five years or upwards re-
ceive £50, divided into equal annual payments during the term of
their apprenticeship, besides a sum of £5 at the end of their
apprenticeship as a reward for good behaviour. Those who are
apprenticed for a shorter term than five years, receive a cor-
respondingly less allowance than £50. One of the teachers resides
in the House, all the others being non-resident. The House
EDINBURGHSHIRE
the Hos-
Presbi/terian College, Hall, and Library is situated Governor also resides in the House. The revenue of
npR- the library contains upwards of 21,000 ' pital in 1SS3 amounted to £25.691 3s. 3 2-12d.
The Heriot Foundation Schools.— By Act of Parliament <6th
25), the Governors of the Hospital were
and 7th William IV. cap.
empowered to erect, from the surplus revenues, elementary
schools within the city, lor educating, free of all expense, 1st, The
children, in poor circumstances, of deceased burgesses and free-
men ; 2nd, The children of burgesses and freemen who are unable
to provide for their support ; and, 3rd, The children of poor
citizens and inhabitants of Edinburgh residing within the
boundaries of the city. They were also empowered "to allow to
any of the boys, in the course of their education at such schools,
being sons of burgesses and freemen, such uniform fixed sum of
money in lieu and place of maintenance, and such uniform fixed
sum for apprentice fee, after their education at the said schools is
completed, as shall be determined." There are now sixteen
Heriot Schools- namely, eleven juvenile and five infant, schools,
attended by about 5,000 boys and girls. There are also seven
schools open for gratuitous evening instruction in reading, writ-
ing, book-keeping, arithmetic, mathematics, English grammar
and composition, French, German, drawing and shorthand. These
classes are attended by about 1,000 young men and young women.
The Edinburgh Merchant Company Schools.— (1) The Edin-
burgh Educational Institution (Ladies' College), 70, 72, and 73,
Queen street. This Institution was founded in 1695 by the
Company of Merchants, and Mary Erskine, widow of James Hair,
druggist in Edinburgh, as an hospital for girls, and was known
as the Merchant Maiden Hospital. The Governors were incor-
porated by an Act of Parliament in 1707. The original edifice was
situated in Bristol street ; but having become insufficient for its
purpose, the fbundation stone of another building was laid in
Lauriston in 1816 ; and the erection, which was designed by Mr.
Burn, was completed in 1818, at the "cost of £12.250. Up to 1870
this building continued to be used as an hospital, for the hoard
and education of the foundationers, but in that year it was
converted, under a provisional order, into a day-school, and
opened a<i such in September. 1870. It having be$ra sold to the
governors of George Watson's Hospital, the governors of this
institution purchased extensive buildings in Queen street for the
purposes of the institution, and they were opened in October,
3871. The institution provides a high class educition, the course
of study embracing English, French, German, Latin, lectures on
literature and science, writing, arithmetic, book-keeping, algebra,
mathematics, di awing, vocil music, pianoforte, drill, calisthenics,
dancing, gymnastics, needlework, and cookery. The governors
had the right of presenting thirty-four foundationers to the
hospital, hut the provisional order directs that this number be
reduced to twenty, and that at least one-fourth of these— as well
as of presentations belonging to private parties— shall be elected
by competitive examination from girls attending this and the
other Merchant Company Schools. Girls attending the institution
may obtain, by competition, the following benefits, viz., 1- A
presentation to the foundation ; 2. and a bursary on leaving the
institution of £25 a year, and tenable for four years, equal to
£lu0. Besides the above benefits, a large number of school
bursaries is awarded at the end of each session, equal in value to
the cost of the successful competitor's class-fees for the following
year. There are also awarded to pupils attending the institution
bursaries in connection with the Edinburgh School of Cookery
and Domestic Economy. TIir foundationers are, under the super-
vision of the governors, boarded in families in Edinburgh. When
admitted to the foundation, the girls must be of the age of nine
and under that of sixteen years. A number of the presentations
was formerly limited to the daughters or grand-daughters of
such as were of the order or calling of merchant burgesses of
Ed-nburgh, or ministers thereof, or suburbs of the same, or had
been benefactors to the hospital or governors of the same ; but
the provisional order removes this limitation, and declares that
the patrons shall be at full liberty to present such girls as they
consider most suitable. On leaving, the foundationers by favour
receive £9 6s. 8d. each.
(2) George Watson's College Schools, Lauriston. — George Watson,
born in Edinburgh about 1650. served an apprenticeship to a
merchant in the City, and, after a short residence in Holland,
entered into the service of Sir James Dicks, a wealthy trader in
Edinburgh. This employment he relinquished, in 1695, on being
appointed accountant to the Bank of Scotland. He died in April,
1723, and by his will bequeathed £12,000 to endow an hospital for
the maintenance and instruction of the male children and grand-
children of decayed merchants in Edinburgh ; and by the
statutes of his trustees a preference was given to the sons and
grandsons of members of the Edinburgh Merchant Company.
An Hospital for the board and education of the foundationers was
founded in the year 1738, and opened in June, 1741, and it
continued to be used for this purpose until 1870, when the
governors of the four hospitals connected with the Merchant
Company, taking advantage of the powers given by the Endowed
Institut ons (Scotland) Act, applied for and obtained provisional
orders empowering them to convert the hospitals into day-
schools, and they were opened as such in September, 1870. This
building was, however, sold to the Corporation of the Royal
Infirmary in 1871, and the building formerly called the Merchant
Maiden Hospital was acquired for and is now being occupied as
George Watson's College for Boys. Another house adjoining has
since been purchased for the extension of the schools. The
object of the schools is to provide boys with a liberal education,
qualifying them for commercial or professional life, the civil
service, the universities, etc. The provisional order directs that
the number of foundationers shall be reduced to sixty, and that
at least one-fourth of these shall be elected by oampetitive
examination from boys attending this and the other Merchant
Company Schools. Boys a'tending the College may obtain, by
competition, the following benefits, viz. : 1. A presentation to one
of the foundations of this College ; and 2. A bursary on leaving
the Schools of £25 a year, and tenable for three years, equal to
£75. Besides the above benefits, a large number of school
bursaries is awarded at the end of each session, equal in value to
13

Images and transcriptions on this page, including medium image downloads, may be used under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence unless otherwise stated. Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence