‹‹‹ prev (53)

(55) next ›››

(54)
EDINBURGHSHIRE
EDINBURGH
SLATER'S
handsome piece of work. The book-board is supported by two
sides or " haffets," over three inches tliick, the edges moulded
and carved, the upper parts having carved angelic figures in
support. The front is an elaborate panel of open tracery. The
whole stands upon a platform thirty-two feet long by eight fett
six inches wide, elevated lour feet above the floor of the church.
There has also been erected, fr.r the incumbent and the Royal
chaplains, a series of seven stalls in oak, which are placed
against the east wall, under the stone reredos. and behind ihe
communiontable. They are of the ordinary form of cithedial
stalls. The ends and divisions are beautifully panelled and carved.
The low screen in front ia generally of open tracery, with the
exception of the lower panels, which are exquisitely carved, an. I
arc really works of art. The screen is divided into compartments
by standards opposite each stdll division, with small pillars
having carved caps and bases. The cope of the divisions rises
above the book board, the ends terminating in carved bases. In
1S79 a similar process of restoration was effected through the
munificence of Dr. William Chambers, the eminent publisher,
on the southern section of the church, embracing the Preston and
Montrose and Chepman aisles; the latter built by William
Chepmati, the Scottish Caxton. Here many characteristic
features of fifteenth century art were disclosed, including a finely
groined roof in both aisles ; several ancient coats of arms ;
various elauorately-earved pillars, the bases and capitals of
which were in wonderful preservation, although the pillars
themselves had been very much mutilated by the restoration of
1829 ; a mural shrine dedicated to the passion of Christ, and
other interesting objects. Within the Chepman aisle stands now
a baptismal font, in Caen-stone, by Khind, Edinburgh, on the
model of Thorwaldsen's famous work at Copenhagen. The stained
glass windows in the choir are the work of Eallantine -nd Hon,
Edinburgh. The restoration of the entire remaining portion of
the building was completed in 1883. The public having subscribed
ten thousand pounds to provide a new church for Wesr. St. Giles'
Congregation, which worshipped in a part of the building, the
late Dr. Chambers munificently undertook and completed the
work at his own expense.
New and Old Greyfriars' Churches.-— The ola G-reyfriars'
Church, which is situated not far from the G-rassmarket, was
founded in the year 1612, where formerly stood a monastery of
the -Franciscans or Greyfriars. In 1650 the interior of the church
was burned by Cromwell's soldiers. The spire, which was used as
a powder magazine, was unfortunately destroyed by an explosion
on the 7th of May, 171S. The magistrates built a new church at
the western end of the old one in 1721, at the expense of £3,045.
The old church was burnt, in consequence of the overheating of a
flue, in 1845, but has since been rebuilt. It was in old Greyfriars'
Church, and in the churchyard adjacent, that the National Cove-
nant was signed in 1638.
The Tron Church, so called from a tron or weighing machine
which at one time stood near it, and to which, in former times, it
was customary to nail false notaries and other malefactors by the
ears, is situated in the High street, at the corner of South Bridge
street- An inscription on the doorway informs the reader that it
was formerly called Christ Church, and consecrated in 1647- The
front, towards High street, is handsome, with a main and two
side doorways, with semi-Gothic windows, and the base of a turret
in the centre, ornamented with pilasters. The original steeple
was destroyed by tire in 1824, and the present very ornamental one
was erected in 1828.
Lady Tester's Church, in Infirmary street, was originally
founded in 1647* principally by the munificence of Margaret Kerr,
Lady Tester. It was taken down in 1803, and the present elegant
Gothic building was erected on its site.
Canosgate Church, a Gothic building in the form of a cross,
founded in 1688, was built at the expense of £2,400, from a legacy
left by Thomas Moodie, a pious citizen of Edinburgh. This
church has two ministers, one nominated by the crown, the
other by the Town Council and inhabitants of Canongate. Many
distinguished persons repose in the churchyard ; Adam Smith,
Dugald Stewart, and Ferguson the poet, among the number.
The gravestone of the latter was placed here by the poet Burns.
St. Cuthbert's Church, or the West Kirk, situated near the
base of the rock, on which the castle stands, is a plain building
with a spire. It has two tiers of galleries. The burial ground is
spacious, and many of the monuments are costly.
St. Andrew's Church stands on the north side of George
street, in the New Town. It is surmounted with a fine tapering
spire, 168 feet high, in which is a chime of eight bells. The
whole is elegantly finished. The church is an oval. It has an
historical celebrity, as the scene of the disruption of the Church
of Scotland, which took place at the meeting of the General
Assembly on the 18th May, 1843. It contains a fine organ.
St. George's Church, on the west side of Charlotte square,
forms the terminating object of George street. The dome, which
is eeen to advantage in almost every direction, was intended as a
miniature representation of that of St. Paul's, London. The
building cost £33,000, and is cilculated to contain 1,6 people.
It was erected in 1814.
St. Mary's Church, in Bellevue crescent, was erected in 1824,
at a cost of £14,000. It has a Corinthian portico and an elegant
spire, 186 feet high. The church will contain 1,800 people.
St. Stephen's Church stands in St. Vincent street; its archi-
tecture is in the mixed Roman style, its shape octagonal, with a
tower 163 feet high. It was erected in 1828, and cost £25,000, and
will accommodate 1,600 hearers.
Trinity < ollege Established Church, on the south side of
Jeffrey 3treet, was built in 1871-2, after designs by Mr. Lessells
It has a towei and spire 115 feet high, and is largely constructed
out of the materials of old Trinity College Church, situated at the
foot of Leith wynd, which was founded in 1462 by Mary of
Gueldres.
There are altogether twenty-six places of worship belonging to
the Church of Scotland, in Edinburgh, of which three have two
ministers each.
10
The Assembly Hall of the Established church, also called the (
Victoria Hall or Victoria Church, is oue of the noblest buildings j
in Edinburgh. It was built in 184-1, and cost £16,000. It has
a lofty and extremely beautiful spire, and occupies a commanding !
situation on the Castle Hill, fronting the Lawn market. It is the !
place of meeting of the General Assembly.
Scottish Episcopal Chukch.
This communion possesses many places of worship in Edin-
burgh, several of which are very line buildings. The service is
conducted after the ritual of the Church of England. Scotland is
divided by this body into seven dioceses, over which preside the
same number of bishops. The clergy are mainly supported fi orn
the produce of the pew rents.
St. Maky's Cathbdral, Manor place, is one of the most im-
portant ecclesiastical buildings erected in this country since the
Reformation. The architect, the late Sir Gilbert Scott, founded
his design-on the Early Pointed style. The plan consists of choir,
transept and nave, with north and south aisles terminating in
towers (incomplete) at the west ; central tower and spire 290 leet
in height ; transepts with east and west aisles, and choir of tour
bays, with north and south aisles- Excepting the great Hose
windows in nave and transept gables the windows are all of
lancet form, and the general character of the building is simple
and massive, though very rich in detail. The chief portal at the
west end of the nave and in the south transept are very elabor-
ately treated. Internally the length is 278 feet, and the breadth
(taken across the nave and aisles) 713 feet. The aisles through-
out, as well as the central crossing and choir, are vaulted in
stone and concrete. The vaulting at the east end of the choir is
remarkable as springing (as in an apse) from between the
three equal lancets of- the great west window. The nave' and
transepts are vaulted in oak with richly moulded ribs and
carved bosses ; and in these parts of the church the triforium
is open, but in the choir closed The choir stalls are under the
crossing, which is raised and severed from the nave by a low screen
of marble and mosaic. The reredos is of alabaster, containing a
marble group representing the Crucifixion (by Miss Grant), 'Hie
font (under the south-west tower) is plain, but of alabaster. The
organ (4 manuals, by Willis) stands in the north transept. There
are a number of stained glass memorial windows by Kempe, â– 
Burlington and Grylls. and Clayton and Bell. The tower contains
ten bells. The Cathedral is seated for 2,000, about three-fourths
of the seats being free. The funds for the erection of this noble
building (about £100,000) were derived from a bequest of two ladies,
the late Misses Walker, of Coates. The foundation-stone was laid
by the Duke of Buccleueh on the 21st May, 1874, and the opening
ceremonial took place in October, 1879. The cost of the building
so far as it has gone is stated to be £110,000. Tbe Bishop is patron.
All Saints', Brougham street, in the ISth century Gothic style,
was built in 1867. It has ulerestoried nave and aisle; bell turret,
and narthes of two storeys, the lower serving as a vestibule, the
upper opening into the nave after the manner of a triforium, and
used as a chapel; d^ep transepts ; chancel of equal height with
nave, and terminating with an apse. The principal roofs are
barrel-vaulted internally. The altar piece, designed by Burgess,
represents the Annunciation ; seated for 600. Patrons, The Vestry.
Christ Church, Morningside, style, 13th century French
Gothic, built 1876. Wide nave with walls internally low ; quasi-
transept. The roofs are open to the ridge, and, in common with
the interior, generally much bedizened." Tower and spire north- '
east of north transept, serving as entrance and organ chamber.
Narrow and lofty memorial chance], ending in polygonal apse,
with processional aisle. The chancel roof is groined in wood, the
walls adorned with rich diapering carved in the stone, and else-
where relieved with colour, while a series of fiue designs in
stained glass fill the lofty windows of the apsidal clerestory-
Under the nave there is a large hall used for congregational
purposes.
St. John the Evangf.list, west end of Princes street, is in the
perpendicular Gothic style, and has nave with clerestory, north
and south aisles, western tower, apsidal chancel. The proportions
of the building are extremely good ; the eastern window is of
stained glass, as are also those above the pillars. It was built in
1818 at a cost of £1,500.
Old St. Paul, Jeffrey street. The old church was used as an
Episcopal Chapel in 16S8, and was once the only Episcopal Church
within the ancient city walls. It has now been taken down and a
new church erected on the same site, which was opened by the
Bishop of Edinburgh on the 27th January, 1883. The style is
Gothic, and it is seated for 300. Patrons, The Dean and Chapter
of St. Mary's Cathedral.
St. Paul's, York place, is also Gothic, with four octagonal
towers at its angles ; it has buttresses surmounted with pin-
nacles, and the conspicuous situation which it occipies at the
corner of York place and Broughton street is felicitous for the
display of its beauty. In one of its four turrets hangs a bell,
formerly used in the Chapel Eoyal of Holvrood. It was built in
1818 at a cost of £12 000, and is seated for 1,200.
St. Peter's, Sutton place, Newington. built in 1859, is in the
Early Decorated style, and has nave with aisles, narthes and
distinct octagonal baptistry, tower and spire, apsidal chancel, with
aisles serving as organ chamber and vestry. It is seated for 500.
Patrons, Trustees and Vestiy.
St. Thomas', Hutland place, is in the Norman style, built in
1S82, and is seated for 700. Patrons, The Vestry.
Holy Trinity, Dean bridge, is a fine building, admirably situ-
ated, built in ia"8, and is seated for 590. Patrons, The Trustees.
St. Columea, Johnston terrace, built in 1846, is in the Early
English style, with nave and chancel, sacristy on south of
chancel, gallery at west end over porch and vestry. A large
portion of the stones of which the walls are built were taken
from the ruins of the chapel in the Palace of Queen Mary of
Guise on Castle Hill. It is seated for 300. Patrons. Ihe Vestry.
St. Andrew, St. John street, is in the Norman style, built in
1857, and enlarged in 1874. Further improvements were made.

Images and transcriptions on this page, including medium image downloads, may be used under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence unless otherwise stated. Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence