‹‹‹ prev (1291)

(1293) next ›››

(1292)
$tulmg*!)u:*»
Plater'*
Allan, and the Devon, expands into that noble estuary called the Firth of Forth. Between Stirling
and Alloa a distance of only seven miles in a direct line, the stretch is more than twenty by the course
of the river, owing to the numerous windings, which are termed ' the links of the Forth.' The next
river in magnitude is the Carron ; it has its source in the central district, and is navigable for vessels of
large burthen for about two miles from the place where it forms a junction with the Forth, The other
streams are the Avon, the Endrick, the Blane, and the Kelvin, none of which, however, require par-
ticular notice. Besides these waters, the county enjoys the advantage of the Forth and Clyde Canal
and the Union Navigation, which is of paramount importance to the commerce of this productive and
flourishing district. The eminences of greatest altitude above the level of the sea are — Ben Lomond
(before mentioned), 3,262 ; Alva Hill, 1,600, and Campsie Fells, 1,500. The county is intersected by
the Scottish Central, the Forth and Clyde, and the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railways, while
branches run to Campsie and Kirkintilloch, and from Stirling to Dunfermline — the last named is now
leased to the Edinburgh and Glasgow Company — thus affording facilities of communication with
all parts of the kingdom.
Divisions, Representation, &c. — Stirlingshire comprises twenty-two complete parishes, and
portions of four others. It contains two parliamentary burghs— Stirling (which is a royal burgh)
and Falkirk : the former joins with Culross, Queensferry, Dunfermline, and Inverkeithing, in retur.
ning a member to the legislature ; and Falkirk is associated in representation with Linlithgow, Lanark,
Airdrie, and Hamilton. The county, of course, deputes a third representative.
POPULATION OF THE SHIRE, IN THE YEARS 1801, 1811, 1821, 1831, 1841 and 1851.
The Italic letters b. d. £>. and I. signify respectively Burgh, District, Parish, and Town.
1801.
1811.
1821.
1831.
1841.
1851.
1855
1703
1900
1825
1498
1319
787
909
1150
1300
2216
5204
796
806
892
805
972
801
1634
1986
2041
205'
1970
1900
575
821
895
905
849
1179
748
627
763
787
754
632
2906
3618
4927
5109
6402
6918
2033
2654
3364
3843
4910
4754
1607
1628
166!
1690
1515
1431
•x
f 220
298
331
f
C 948
J 653
J 61
644
57
684
77
V1578
1472
j
C 165
169
186
s
[ 8838
9929
11536
[ 12743
15621
16438
Ah'th
Alva ,
Baldernock .,
Balfron
Bolhkennar p.
Buchannan p.
Campsie . . .
Denny
Drymen ...
Duoipace p.
Denovaii, Littlerf.
DeROVan,Meikled
Dumpace d.
Torwood ....
Falkirk.. ....p.
Note. — (a) Kllpatrick is partly in the county of Dumbarton, the whole parish contained in 185!, 4286 inhabitants.
(b) The paiishes of Kippen and Lecropt are partly in Perthshire ; the former contains 1,892 inhabitants— the latter 412.
(e) Logie parish is partly in the shire of Clackmannan, extending also into that of Perth, and contains 2,551 inhabitants,
{d) A small portion of Stirling parish is in the shire of Clackmannan; the whole parish contains 10,180 inhabitants.
The total annual value of Real Property, in Stirlingshire ; as assessed in April, 1815, amounted to £218,761 ; and
the amount assessed to the Property Tax, in 1843, to £272,654. 7s. 6d, The amount as assessed to the Property and
Income Tax, in 1849, was £307,445.
1801.
1811.
18 ?
'.831.
1841.
1851.
958
1003
1102
1051
884
823
Gargunnoch .
...p.
954
896
862
1006
803
754
1039
908
997
965
1126
985
1206
1415
1224
1709
1176
KilpatrickNew
(o)p.
1892
1762
3206
4260
4297
5613
5346
1248
1330
1368
1394
1220
1279
Larhert ....
. : .p.
3269
3812
3491
4248
4404
4606
248
279
252
254
261
271
671
672
66S
640
662
1059
Muiravonside.
...p.
1070
1330
167S
1540
2249
2647
Ninians, Saint
..p.
6849
7636
8274
9552
10080
9851
2194
1827
2171
3210
3584
3764
923
5256
993
5820
981
7113
1093
8340
979
8868
1655
Stirling (d)..b.
If P.
9906
...p.
734
795
748
1033
894
1010
50810
57371
65376
72621
' 81725
86137
AIRTH AND NEIGHBOURHOOD.
XXlRTH is an ancient village in the parish of its
name, 27 miles w. from Edinburgh, between 8 and 9 e.
from Stirling, and 6 n.w. from Falkirk ; situate on the
banks of the Forth, nearly opposite to Rennet Pans, I in chaste simplicity of architecture or elegance of de-
Mrs. Graham is well worthy of notice. The Earl of
Dunmore has an elegant mansion here in the pure
Gothic style, and few buildings are superior to it either
and was at one period a place of considerable im
portance, but is now greatly decayed; it possesses an
Established church, a Free church, and United Pres-
byterian chapel. There are three small ports or har-
bours on the Forth, into which vessels of light burthen
can enter, and two ferries across that estuary, at which
are boats for the transport of cattle, carriages, &c. to
Alloa, and other places on the Fife side. The salmon
fishery is prosecuted here with considerable success :
and the coal mines, of which there are several in the
neighbourhood, afford employment to many of the
The beautiful and romantic seat of
sign. In the parish there are three ancient towers,
one at Airth, another at Dunmore, a third at Powfou-
lis ; that at Airih is of very early date, and is called
Wallace's tower, from the circumstance of that hero
having privily entered the building, slew the captain
and one hundred men, and relieved his uncle, who was
a prisoner — the tower is still in tolerable preservation.
Some years ago an anchor was found in Dunmore-hill,
at least half a mile from the present course of the river.
The whole parish, with the exception of the hills of
Aiith and Dunmore, is a level tract.
labouring class.
POST OFFICE. — Robert Armstrong, Post Master. — Letters from all parts an ive every morning at
eight, and are despatched at four in the afternoon.
NOBILITY, GENTRY AND
CLERGY
Bruce Rev. — , Airth [Airth
Caughie James, Esq. m.d. (surgeon),
Dawson William Esq, of Powfoulis
Dunmore the Earl of, Dunmore
Park [Park
Dunmore the Countess of, Dunmore
Graham Mrs. — , Airth Castle
Hinxman Rev. Charles, Airth
3222
Park Rev. Wm. the Manse, Airth
Somerviile Rev. James, Airth
SCHOOLS.
Dunmore School, J.B.Craig.mastr
Fish Robert, Airth [lane, master
Parochial School, Win. M'Far-
FARMERS
Abercrotnby William, Loch
Aitken John, Neuck
Boyd Peter, West Westfield
VO
Boyd William, Dougalshole
Boyd William, Waterslap
Carmichael James, New mill
Carmichael William, Saltgreens
Christie Alexander, Kersie mains
Cowbrough James, Pyetrees
Dawson — , South Kersie
Foord Jean, Brackenlees
Foord Margaret, Bellsdyke
Foord Thomas, Pockcanc

Images and transcriptions on this page, including medium image downloads, may be used under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence unless otherwise stated. Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence