‹‹‹ prev (1286)

(1288) next ›››

J iStrcctors.
'ELKIRK is an ancient town, a royal burgh, and the
seat of a presbytery, and the capital of its county and
parish ; 38 miles s. s. E. from Edinburgh, 22 e. by s.
from Peebles, 12 n. n. w. from Hawick, 8 s. w. from
Melrose, and 6 s. from Galashiels; occupying a rising
ground, at the foot of which flows the river Ettrick
The place derives its name from a kirk that was estab-
lished here at an early date, when the locality became
distinguished as a hunting-seat of the king. In the
oldest charter it is called Seleschircfie, Selechtjre, or
Sel-chire, which signify ' the great ' or ' the good
church.' When a second kirk was erected in the vici-
nity, alter the foundation of a monastery by David I.
in 1113, the prior place received the dignified title of
Selkirk Regis, while the village of the monks was de-
nominated Selkirk Abbatis: the monks of Selkirk did
not, however, remain long settled in the town ; they
were removed to a more pleasing locality by their royal
patron. Of the castle of Selkirk, at which David oc-
casionally resided, little is known, and its site cannot
now be satisfactorily ascertained. Formerly Selkirk
exhibited but an indifferent appearance in its buildings
and their arrangement; but latterly a spirit of improve-
ment has been developed which has imparted to the
place an aspect far mote prepossessing. The streets
have been levelled, many handsome private houses
built, and a new-town house (surmounted by a hand-
some spire) erected, containing apartments for the burgh
and sheriff's court, public meetings, &c. ; a gaol has
also been built, on the norlli side of the town; the
streets and principal shops are now lighted with gas,
and the market-place is embellished with a very hand-
some monument in memory of Sir Walter Scott.
In High-street there is a monument in remembrance
of Mungo Park, the African traveller, who was a
native of Foulshiels, in this county ; it is the work of
Andrew Currie, a native artist : there is also in con-
templation a monument to Hogg, the Ettrick Shep-
Selkirk was in past ages celebrated for the making
of brogues (a description of single-soled shoe) ; tradi-
tion carries the existence of this trade so far back as
the period of the battle of Flodden, in which conflict,
it is asserted, the brogue makers of Selkirk took a dis-
tinguished part. As a furthur proof of the consequence
and ability of the professors of this craft, it appears
from the town records, that when the Highland army,
in 1785, commanded the magistrates of Edinburgh to
furnish six thousand pair of shoes, these civic officials
made a call upon the burgh of Selkirk for no less than
a third of the quantity, which was supplied, and, soon
after, a few hundreds more. This branch has greatly
declined at the present day. The principal manufac-
tures now carried on consist of various descriptions of
woollen goods, as tweeds, tartans, plaids, & shawb, in
which process three very extensive mills are employed,
& one wool spinning mill ; there are also two extensive
tanneries. A Railway is now opened from here to
Galashiels, where it joins the Hawick branch of the
North British line, thus giving to Selkirk, railway
communication with most parts of Great Britain. The
town possesses two principal inns— the ' County ' and
the ' Fleece.' A branch of the ' British Linen Com-
pany's Bank,' and one of the ' Union Bank of Scotland,"
are settled here, and there is a savings' bank. The
introduction of manufactures has caused a great aug-
mentation of the population of the town, and a
material extension of its ancient limits. As a royal
burgh, Selkirk is governed by two baillies, a dean of
guild, a treasurer, and twenty-nine councillors, one
third of whom retire annually, and their successors are
elected the first week in November. The sheriffs court
is held weekly, and a small debt court for recovery of
debts under £8 6s. 8., quarterly. The magistrates
hold criminal courts as occasion requires, and the
justice of peace lieutenancy meetings are regulated in
like manner.
The places of public worship are a church of the
Establishment, a Free church, two United Presbyterian,
an Independent, and Secession chapels. The institu-
tions for education in Selkirk ate of a judicious charac»
ter ; they comprise, besides the parochial school, a
burgh school, subscription school, aud some private
academies. The inhabitants support a public library,
and a Mechanics' Institute. The general scenery, in
the vicinity of Selkirk, is very delightful : the rivers
Ettrick and Yarrow form a junction, and empty their
waters into the Tweed, about three miles west of the
town; the beautiful mansion of Bowhill (belonging to
the Duke of Buccleuch), the stately ruins of Newark
Castle, the fertile straths, and the serpentine windings
of the two rivers, together with many elegant seats,
form beautiful scenery, romantic and diversified.
Philiphaugh, the residence of John N. Murray, Esq.,
is a beautiful castellated mansion; amongst others may
be noted Hangingshaw, the residence of James John-
stone, Esq. ; Sunderland Hall, of C. S. Plummer, Esq. ;
and Broad meadows, of R. K. Pringle, Esq. The mar-
ket is held on Wednesday, and fairs on the 5th April,
and 31st of October.
JO A N BUCKHAM, Post Mistress.
deliveries of Setters— From Edinburgh, Glasgow, North, England, &c. every morning as
twenty minutes past ten.
From London, England, South, Foreign, &c. (to callers), at a quarter before one, noon
From Edinburgh, Glasgow, North, &c, every evening at twenty-five minutes before seven.
There is one delivery on Sundays at twenty-five minutes before three, in the afternoon ; and to callers at
nine in the morning, and twenty-five minutes before three, in the afternoon.
Despatches.— To Galashiels, Hawick, Kelso, &c. Box closes at seven in the morning.
To London, &c, every afternoon at three.
To Edinburgh, North, Galashiels, Hawick, &c. Box closes at a quarter past ten in the morning, and
twenty minutes past five in the afternoon.
Money Orders are granted and paid from nine in the morning until six in the evening',

Images and transcriptions on this page, including medium image downloads, may be used under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence unless otherwise stated. Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence