‹‹‹ prev (1192)

(1194) next ›››

'Director p.
M'Kenzie John, surgeon, Rockside
M'Kenzie Robert, grocer. Quay st
M'Kinimie Robert, Sesher, Kem-
poch street
M'Kinlay Margaret, grocer, Rope-
walk street
iVl'Kinnnn John, tailor, Q iay st
M'Millan James, beersellei:, Cars-
well bay
M'Millan Job n, painter, Kempoch st
M'Nicol Roland, boat bld.r. Qnny st
Macpherson Robert,grocer, Shore st
M'TaggartHugh, shoe mkr. Shore st.
M'Taggart Janie-, shoe maker,
Shore street
Main John, grocer and stationer,
Kempocli place
Millar Janet, dress mkr.Kempoch st
MitchellMary, shopkeeper, Shore st
Montgomery Donald, baker, Kem-
pocli street
Moore Janet, lodging house, 2
George place
Murray Ann, haberdasher, Kem-
poch st
Murray George, blacksmith, Camp-
bell point
Nishett Andrew, lodging house,
Mount Pleasant
Orr Catherine, stationer and libra-
rian, Kempuch st
Pearson Thomas, tailor and clothier
(and agent for the Royal Insu-
rance and for the Hurlford Fine
Clay Works), Kempoch st
Peters John, druggist, Shore st
Poe Janet, furnishings dlr. Shore st
Robertson Alexr., erocer, Shore st
Ronald James, upholsterer, Kem-
pocli street
Ross John, boat builder, Shore st
Seaton John, cabinet maker,Shorest
Shearer Hugh, boat builder, Quay
head [poch st
Shearer James, coal deale;, Kem-
Shearer William & John, joiners,
Rock cleft
Simpson John, temperance coffee
house, Carswell bay
Simpson John & Robert, wrights,
King street
Sinclair John, grocer, inspector of
poor, and registrar, Kempoch pi
SinclairRobt. <hoemkr. Kempoch st
Smith John, ro;il dealer, Shore st
Stevenson James F. slater, Kem-
poch place
Stewart Jas. rope maker. East bay
Sioivr David, painter, Kempoch st
Strachan & Simpson, joiners, Hope-
town street
Swan Robe it, flesher, Shore st
Thomson & Baillie, wrights, Kem-
poch st [Mount pleasant
Thomson Andrew, lodging house,*!
Thomson Matthew, druggist, Kem-
poch place [pochst
Wallace Ann, furnishings, Kem-
Watson John, steam-packet porter,'
Quay st [bank
Watson Mary, lodging house, West- i
Places of Worship,
Established Church, Shaw st...Rev.
George M'Corkindale
Free Church, Hath st... Rev. William
United Presbyterian. ..Church pi...
Rev. George Sandie
Scottish Episcopal Church. .Rev.
-, Kennedy
To GREENOCK, an Omnibus from the
Commercial, attends the arrival pi
every train.
Conveyance by Railway.
Station, at Greenock, 3 miles distant.
Conveyance by water.
the different watering places, Steamers
leave the Quay head, hourly.
HE first sea-purt in Scotland, is 22 miles from
Glasgow, 15 from Paisley, and 66 from Edinburgh;
situated on the south bank of the river Clyde, and con-
nected with Glasgow by means of the Glasgow, Green-
ock.'and Paisley Railway. The site of this town is un-
rivalled for the command of grand aud picturesque
scenery, combining water, wood,and mountains; among
the latter is seen the majestic Ben Lomond, whilst
others of less magnitude serve to render more obvious
its immense and towering elevation. In the early part
Id of the eighteenth century Greeuock was a small village,
,"! (inhabited chiefly by fishermen, and without quay or
Tharbour; it now, however, possesses its harbours,
which of late years have been improved at a consider-
able expense, and are most commodious and very
capacious; they extend nearly 3,000 feet from east to
Iwest, and are of sufficient depth to float vessels of great
burthen ;in the ro:-tds there is a good anchorage for ships
of the largest class. The quays are spacious, and have
|well-cotistructed sheds, supported by iron pillars, for
the security of merchandise against the weather;
there are also good graving and other docks, capable
of receiving vessels of any size. The area of the water
inside the Victoria Harbour is somewhat over six acres,
and the works have been erected at a cost of about
£120,000. It is one of t>-e finest tidal harbours in the
kingdom and is particula.iy well suited for vessels of
huge tonnage, being sixteen feet deep at neap tides,
Bra fourteen at spring tides. At this harbour is acrane
capable ot lifting seventy tons, so that steamers of the
laigest class may have their engines fitted at this port
without taking the ground. The streets of Greenock
have been greatly improved, a large sum having been
recently expended in sanitary arrangements ; and
within a recent period a number of very clean, regular,
and even elegant streets have been erected towards the
west, for the accommodation of the more wealthy
portion of the inhabitants; a tendency has likewise
been displayed by this class of society to rear streets
and detached villas along the heights behind the
town, where the view of the firth and of the High-
land scenery beyond is a source of unfailing pleasure.
The thoroughfares and principal shops are lighted with
gas, supplied from works erected in 1828. The markets
for meat, fish and vegetables are convenient, and
generally well supplied. Among the public edifices of j
this town, the Custom-house decidedly ranks first; it j
» truly a grand national structure. The selection of its I
situation is also most appropriate; the grand front
faces the water, leaving a fine open space from the
edge of the quay. The building is of Grecian archi-
tecture ; in it the business of both customs and inland
revenue is transacted. The entrance to the former is
at the north front, facing the river, and that of the
latter at the east front. Both fronts are ornamented
by four elegant lofty Doric pillars, supporting a hand-
some pediment. This fine edifice was erected under
the direction of Mr. Burn, of Edinburgh, who was the
architect also of the Assembly-rooms, situated in
Cathcart-street, which he completed in the same
elegant order and style. There is a commercial news
room in Cathcart-square which is well-supplied with
the various journals and magazines. Greenock is the
birthplace of the illustrious Watt, the perfector of the
steam engine, who was born in 1736 ; in commemora-
tion of this circumanstance his son has erected a
building in Union-street, called the Watt Institution,
for the purposes of a library, upon ground given by the
late Sir Michael Shaw Stewart, Bart. ; the building is
from a design by Mr. Blore, architect, of London, and
cost £3,000 ; a statue of the deceased engineer, from the
chisel of the celebrated Chantrey, is placed within the
entrauceof the edifice: £2,000 was the sum paid for
the execution of this appropriate ornament, which was
raised by subscription. Besides this library the town
has two or three good circulating libraries.
Among the most important branches under the head
of, or connected with, manufactures, are seven ship-
building establishments, the yards of two of which are
so complete as to rank second only to those belonging
to the crown ; there are also several extensive engine-
works, six foundries, two breweries, lour ropewalks,
four tan yards twelve sugar-refining houses ; manu-
factories for woollen and sail-cloth ; soap and candle
works, a distillery, and large mills for spinning wool,
cotton, and flax, and for making paper; but in nothing
is Greenock more celebrated than in the building
and fi'ting-up of steam vessels — furnishing them not
only for London, Bristol, Liverpool and Dublin, but
also for the Mediterranean, Portugal, Spain, South
America and New South Wales. Most of the fine
steamers belonging to the Cunard American line have
been built here. Greenock being the first seaport
town in North Britain, its mercantile and shipping
trade extends to very considerable importations of rum,
sugar, molasses, mahogany, &c, from the West Indies

Images and transcriptions on this page, including medium image downloads, may be used under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence unless otherwise stated. Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence