‹‹‹ prev (961)

(963) next ›››

Balden Rebecca, High st
Elliott Margaret, Shore st
Goodall the Misses — . High st
Hanes Miss — , Lome square
Rood J, £l J, (&. mantle makers),
HigrSs street
Smith Anuie, Kack st
Sniitli Jane, High st
Tod Wilham J. High st
Lyle Robert, High st
M'Culloch & Stobies {& solicitors), Westgate
M'Culloch David, Westgate
Dickson William, Westgate
Kendall James, Quality st
Mann Alexander, High st
Arundel John W. Shore st
Lumsden John, Shore st
Black John, Back st
Bridges Robert (and ironfounder), North
Berwick Foundry
Denholm Alexander, Market place
See Spirit Dealers, d-c.
Blair James S. High st
Ferrier G-eorgre H^i^li st
Whitecross J. R. High st. and Westgate
Black John, Back st
Edington Francis (Commercial Inn), High st
Kendall Wm B. (Bass Rock Inn), Canty bay
ivlanderson William (Ship), Quality st
{See also Builders.)
Ormiston Mark, Back st
Whitecross Peter & Sons (& builders ),Back st
3Iftcbain Hugh, High st
Grieve John, High st
Hood J. &. J, (&. clothiers ),Uig^li st
Ingles WilUam, QuaUty st
Little Joseph, Westgate
Lvall James, Quality st
M'-Donald WiUiam, High st
Bell John, painter, Quality st
Bates Frank, teacher of music. Quality st
Beggs Mary, toy dealer. High st
Bridges Robert, engineer and millwright,
North Berwick Foundi-y
Brown Ehzabeth, Berlin wool, &c. dealex-,
High st [Links
Campbell Alexander, harl'our master, East
Cunningham Charles, bre .vei & maltster,
Terrier Cfreor^e, puTiHslier of the
Guide to xrorth Berwick and
Vicinity, Hig^h st
Fisher Mary, confectioner, Westgate
GoodallJames, fishmonger. Market place
Grieve George, plasterer, Westend
Grieve John, inspector of poor, Quardrant
Jackson James, shipmaster, West Links
Knowles Alexander, collector of harbour
dues, Woodbine Cottage, Westgate
Lyall Jaue, tobacconist, Quality st [barns
Mason Robert, veterinary surgeon, Halfland
Registered Office of the Marine Hotel Co.
Limited, High st — Robert Lyle, secretary
Reid James, saddler, High st
Smith Robt. watch and clock maker, High st
PuMic Buildings, Offices, &,c»
Episcopal Church, Connaught terrace —
Rev. F. L. M. Anderson, b.a.
Established Church, Kay's wynd— Rev.
George W. Sprott, b.a.
Free Church, Quality st — Rev. Jon. Shewan
United Presbyterian Church, Westgate
— Rev. William Calvert, b.a.
Conjimct Town Clerk — Robert Lyle
Procurator-Fiscal — William Watson
Police Commissioners — The magistrates and
town council
Clerk and ColUctor — Robert Lyle
Treasurer — John Bell
Chief Magistrate— Vetev Brodie
Junior Magistrate — John Heriot
Treasurer — John Bell
Councillors — William Edington, Henry
Harcus, John Lumsden, John Ferguson,
Thomas Horslnirgh, and John R. White-
Ancient Order of Foresters (Haddington
district) — John Ross, secretary
Bass Rock Golf Club— Peter Whitecross, jun,
iEowhng Club— Peter Whiteci-oss, jun. sec.
Coast Guard Station, Shore st — John Morris»
chief boatman
C lunty Golf Club— J. R. Whitecross, sec.
Dustom House, Shore st — John Morris,
Free Mason's Lodge {St. Baldreds), Dal-
r5Tnple Arms, Quality st
Carhng Club— John Wallace, secretary
Gas and Water Office, West Links — James
Webster, manager and collector
Independent Order of Good Templars
(Haddington district) — Andi-ew Denholm,
North Berwick Library, Quality st— Robert
^Lyle, secretary
North Uerwick Shipwrecked Fishermen and
Mariners' Society — Captain T. R. Wood-
row, agent
OddfeUow's Hall, Back st— A. Nisbet, keeper
Police Station, Shore st— Alexander Cruiok-
shank, sergeant
Poor Inspector's Office, Quadrant — John
Grieve, inspector
Registrar's Office (Births, Deaths and
Marriages), East road — WilUam Calder,
Royal National Life Boat Institution (North
Berwick Station)— Walter Malcolm, Esq.
hon. secretary and treasurer [clerk
School Board Office, High st— Robert Lyle,
SheriflTs Small Debt Courts (held quarterly),
Quality st
Stamp and Tax Office, Westgate—David
M'Culloch, sub-collector & sub-distributor
Tantallan Golf Club — J. R. Whitecross,
Volunteer Rifle Corps {I7th Haddington-
shire) — John Law, lieutenant
Station, North Berwick — Adam
station master
To GULLANE, John Brotherston, TuesdaT
and Friday
X RESTONPANS is a market aud post town, and bui-gh of barony,
i) miles E. from Edinburgh, 14 s.w. from North Berwicli, 9>^ w.N.w.
from Haddington, and 8 e. from MusselburRh ; situated on the
shore of the Firtli of Forth ; and the North British Railway passes
about half a mile to the West. The town consists principally of
one long street running parallel with the Forth, without any pub-
lic buildings worthy of particular notice. It is much frequented
during the bathing season by visitors from Edinburgh and dif-
ferent parts of the country. The harbour is situated a little to
the westward of the town, and is called " Morison Haven ; " it has
a quay for shipping coal and the manufactures of the place, which
comprise earthenware, fire-bricks, and other articles made from
fire-clay, common bricks and tiles, soap and salt; the latter
originated here at an early date, having been made by the monks
in 1189. There is also the extensive brewery ol Messrs. John Fowler
and Co., whose superior ales and beer have for a long time received
a wide-spread reputation. Oysters are taken in the Forth, near
the town, and considerable quantities are sent to the markets of
Edinburgh, Newcastle, and even to London. The mines of coal are
very rich in this neighbourhood ; a seam of this valuable mineral is
now being worked by the Pi-estongrange Coal and Iron Company
(Limited), within two hundred yards of the quay at Morison
Haven, The seam is eight to ten feet in thickness— beneath
which it is ascertained there exist eight or nine other strata
making .an aggregate body of workable coal of full forty feet;
the roof of this mine is composed of a stratum of flre-clay
from two to three feet thick, and a band of ironstone of six
inches in thickness. The mines extend a considerable distance
under the sea ; that of the Preston Links ColUery, situated at the
east end of the town, has already been driven two hundred yards
beyond high water mark. There are other collieries in the neioh-
bonrhood wrought successfully. Prestonpans received its charter
as a burgh of barony in 1G17, in favour of Sir John Hamilton, of
Prestou, which ancient village (Preston) is included with the
eastern part of the town in the charter ; a suburb called ' the Kuittle '
or more properly Culhil, the western portion also enjoys a charter,
which was granted originally to the abbey of Newbotle; this divi-
sion is possessed by Sir G. G. Suttio, Bart., who is also a patron of
the parish, which is one of the smallest in the county.
The places of worship are the Parish church and a Free church.
!?84 14
The Public school, a Free church school, and an Endowed school,
and some benefit societies are in the town; the principal charity
however, is Schaw's hospital at Preston village^^an extensive
building, erected in, 1831, in the old English style of architecture
at an expense of nearly ^3,000, out of the funds bequeathed by it
benevolent founder. Dr. Schaw, in 1731.
The institution was first opened in 1784, in Preston House, which
stood behind the present erection ; it was founded for the educa-
tion and maintenance of twenty-one boys, children of indigent
parents— those of the name of Schaw, M'Ncil, Cunningham and
Stewart, having a preference of entry; the establishment is con-
ducted by a governor and matron. The principal seats in the
neighbourhood are Preston Grange, Drummore, Northfield and
Preston Lodge. Preston Tower, in this vicinity, formerly the seat
of the Hamiltous, of Preston, is an attractive ruin. At the distance
of a mile and a half from the town, at a hamlet called Meadow Hill,
was fought the battle to which the name Prestonpans lias been
appended, on the 21st of September. 1745, between tbe adbevents of
the Stewai-t family and the English troops under the command of
General Cope, in which the latter were routed. In this engagement
fell Colonel Gardiner; to whoso memory a bandsome monument
has been erected; the house (Bankton iSouse), once occupied by
this revered officer, and in which he expired after the battle, stands
a little to the west of Meadow Mill, and is still pointed out to tho
enquiring stranger. In the main street is a handsome monument
to the memory of the late Thomas Alexander, O.B., director general
of the medical department of the British army. Tho markets were
held on Wednesdays and Saturdays; but Friday is now acknow-
ledged as the market day. The parish has an area of 1,291 acres,
and its population in 1871, was 2,069, of which number the town
contained 1,71)0.
CoCKENZii: is a fishing village in the parish of Tranent, one mile
east from Prestonpans, situated on the road leading to North Ber-
wick and the shore of the Frith of Forth. It has a small harbour,
substantially constructed by Mr. CadelJ, for sbipping the coal
obtained from his mines, now being worked by the Tranent Coal
Company. A very handsome echool and schoolmaster's house, the
gift of a liberal donor, are situated in the village. A fair is held here
on the first Thursday in November. Population in 1871, 1,221.

Images and transcriptions on this page, including medium image downloads, may be used under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence unless otherwise stated. Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence