‹‹‹ prev (905)

(907) next ›››

(906)
SLATER'S
DIRECTORY.
FORFAR,
WITH THE PARISHES OF INVERARITY, KINXETTLES AND RESCOBIE.
ORFAR 19 a royal burgh, t lie seat of a presbytery, the county ,anciefitly stood a nunnery, founded by Queen Margaret, as a separate
town, and the capital of the parish at its name ; 57 miles n. Irom I establishment from her husband Malcolm. At the partial drainaj^e
" '' ' ' -- - ■ • -- ' '" - q{ ll^^. i^ijte^ about seventy years since, for the purpose of obtaining
its fertilising marl, some weapons and instruments ivere found at
the bottom; these were conjectured to have been the implements
used by the murderers of rilalcolm II. at Glamis, on the ground of a
tradition which asserts that the a-ssasaina, in attempting to cross
the lake on the ice, went down and perished. The date of the erec-
tion of Forfar Castle, which stood upon an eminence to the north of
the town, cannot bo certified, but it is said to have been the place
of meeting of the first pavliament convened by King Jliileolm Can-
more, and his occasional seat of residence after the recovery of his
throne from Macbeth. The magistrates of the burgh some years
since removed the market cross from the street to the site of the
old castle, to mark tbe spot where the monarch sojourned, as but
few remains of the editice are now extimt. A castle tower is here
erected as an observator> , whence is obtained the best view of the
town and surrounding neighbourhood. The Rev. John Bru.-e, the
intelligent author of the *' Statistical Account of the Padsh of
Forfar," furnishes a number of particulars illustrative of the rise of
the town, its tastes and appearances. He says that about the
middle of the last century there were not above seven tea-kettles,
seven pairs of bellows, and as many watches in Forfar; now (179;J)
he adds, every house in town has a tea kettle and bellows, and every
menial servant must have his watch. At the same not distant
period, an ox, valued at forty shillings, supplied the flesh market of
Forfar for a fortnight. The steady advancement of population,
trade, and agricultural improvements, both before and since 179;»,
when this gentleman wrote, have, in this district, as elsewhere,
revolutionised the prices and consumption of articles, and now
Forfar is one of the most thriving and comfortable towns in the
county. The market ia held on Saturday; and cattle markets are
held every Wednesday during the winter season, from November to
April, on the large open space in the east of High street. A fair i3
held on North moor for horses and cattle on the second Wednesday
in each month from April to November. The parish of Forfar, which
embraces an area of 8,3-jB acres, in 1871 had a population of 12,585,
at the same period the Parliamentary royal burgh contained 10,901.
Inverarity is a parish about three miles square, bounded on the
north by the parish of Forfar, its post town, four miles distant
therefrom; on the south by Monikie and Murroes; on the east by
Guthrie and Dunnicheu, and on the west by Kinnettles, Tealing
and (jiamis. Free stone and grey slate abound in the parish ; the
soil is various. The parish church is conveuiently situated. There
is also a parochial school. The turnpike from Forfar to Dundee
passes through the parish, which embraces an area of 9,5y3, and in
1871 had a population nf 8S8.
KiNNKTTLES, a parish said to have derived its name from the
Gaelic word signifying the head of a bog, is about two miles in
length, with an equal breadth, three miles east from Forfar, its post
town, and two miles from Glamis. Althou^jh the parish cannot
boast of any river, yot it is beautifully diversified, having a large
rivulet called the Ivirbet, which at Kirkton is crossed by a chain
bridge, and a stone bridge of three arches at Douglastown ('these
plaei;s are small villages in the parish*; this 'stream, after a cir-
cuitous course of sevouty-two miles, and ten miles southward of its
source, finally joins the Tay. The land is fertile, and beneath the
surface an abundanco of sandstone, whiustooe, and slate abouiids.
The parish church was built in 1812. There is now a very handsome
parish school built at Douglastown, to replace the old one at Kin-
nettles. Acreage, 2,8i50. Population of parish in 1871, 378.
Rescobie is a parish about three miles east from Forfar, its post
town, and ia about six miles in length and from one to two and a ■
half in breadth, situated between the hills of Dunnicheu and
Turin. It is bounded by Forfar on the west, Aberlemno, Guthrie,
and Kirkden on the east, Kirkton, Dunnichen, and Forfar on the
south, and Aberlemno on the north. The soil is varions, and mostly
in cultivation, with some thriving plantations, and very little waste
ground ; it has no river or considerable stream, but it is sufficiently
watered for domestic and agricultural purpcses, and is intersected
Edinburgh, 15 w. from Arbroath, 14 n. from Dundee, 13 s.w. from
Brechin, and 5 E. by N. from Glamis; situate in the lowest part of
a country sloping towards it on all sides; and on the Scottish
Nortii-Eastem section of the Caledonian Railway, on which line
there is a station adjacent to the town. The brancli line from For-
far to Dundee is also in the vicinity of the town. Foriar is now of
pleasant appearance, though slrict regularity has by no means been
observed in the formation of the streets, which contain many well-
built houses and handsome shops. A large number of beautiful
suburban villas have been built to the south and west of the town.
Kome years since were erected in Castle-street, at the general ex-
pense of the sji;- ■, a handsome suite of county buildings. The
town-house, wiacu was rebuilt previously, besides the requisite
offices, contains a spacious upper room for public mt^ctings and
amusements. The inhabitants support an excellently conducted
newsroom and library, the latter comprising upwards ^f three thou-
sand volumes. The original charters which constitute Forfar a
royal burgh are lost, but the privileges were confirmed in 1G69, in
virtue of which the burgh is governed by a provost, three bailies,
and eleven councillors, a third of whom are elected annually. A
Bheritrs court is held for the trial of civil and criminal eases gene-
rally ; and a police court for the determination of local, civil, and
police affairs — the latter department confided to constables. The
burgh unites with Montrose, Brechin, Bervlo and Arbroath in
sending one member to parliament : the present member is W. E.
Baxter, Esq. (of Kincaldrum), Ashcliffe, Dundee. The revenue of
the burgh, arising from lands, customs, &c., may be averaged at
about £2,000 per annum. The chief trade of the town and of its
vicinity is the weaving of osnaburgs and other coarse linens.
There are now power-loom factories and bleachworks in full
operation, employing from about 2,500 to 3,000 hands. There are
also several breweries, and these, with the tanning and currying of
leather, comprise the other principal establishments of business.
There are several respectable inns, the principal being the County
and Commercial Hotel, a well-conducted establishment, centrally
situated, the proprietor, Mr. W. Willis, having made important
additions, which render it one of the best in the county, either for
families or for commercial gentlemen. There are six general
banking establishraents, viz., branches respectively of the Com-
mercial Bank of Scotland, the Royal Bank of Scotland, the National
Bank of Scotland, the Union Bank of Scotland, the British Linen
Co. Bank, and the Bank of Scotland. There are likewise a bntnch
of the National Security Savings Bank and a Penny Savings Bank
in the town. Few towns have improved more of late than Forfar.
Many excellent dwellinghouses and shops have been erected within
the last few years, and many of the streets greatly improved. The
new County Buildings, near the railway station, and a public hall,
the free gift of Mr. Peter Reid, in the same neighbourhood, add
much to the appear mce of the north side of the town. At Ktngs-
MCiR, in this parish, is a Jstation on the Dundee and Forfar direct
line of the Caledonian Railway Company.
The places nf worship are two churches under the Establishment,
two Free,an Episcopal, an Indf pendent, and an United Presbyterian.
In the steeple of the parish church i^ a very fine bell, presented to
the town in the seventeenth century by a native named Strang, who
ia said to have been brought up from tlie parish funds ; but, having
gone to Stockholm amassed a large fortune, and took this manner
of showing his gratitude, besides bequeathing a large sum of money
for behoof of the poor of the town. There are also a Poor Home
and an Infirmary for the accommodation of the town and the
neighbouring parish ; the former contains eighty-five beds and the
latter forty. There are several public and private schools of repute
for pupils of either sex : the Forfar Academy, an excellent institu-
tion, commenced its instructive course in 1815. and comprises the
usual routine of a liberal education, and includes, among other
accomplishments, perfection in the classics, mathematics, the
languages, music, &c. Three Burgh schools, for the benefit of
the poorer classes have been built at the diff'erent ends of the town ;
they are very commodious, and ably conducted by their respective by the Loch of Rescobie, Vvhich is more than a mile in length,
masters. Di 1850 a public cemetery was formed ; it occupies nine From the Loch of Balgavies, in the parish of Aberlemno, on the
Scotch acres on the south side of the town, and is laid out in tasteful north and east of Rescobie, issues the chief branch of the Lunan
walks, with ornamental shrubs, &c., forming a pleasant promenade, waters, which gives name to a bay in the German .Ocean, into
On a mound at the top of the cemetery, which occupies one of those which it falls about twelve miles from Rescobie. These lakes
gently sloping hills for which this part of the country is so noted, abound with marl, a manure which is very good if skilfully used;
a fine monument was erected in 1852 by public subscription to the extensive stone quanies of various qualities are wrought in this
memory of Sir Robert Peel. The figure stands upon the centre of and adjoining parishes, great quantities being conveyed to distant
a large pedestal, covered by a dome, which is supported on eight parts by railway from Auldbar Road Station, which is situated
pillars. From its site the town and surrounding district may be on the borders of Aberlemno, and the centre of a district famous
seen to great advantage, while the monument is seen on its elevated for its excellent quality of stone. There is a parish church and
position at a considerable distance. On the west side of the town school, the latter containing a vary good and extensive library for
is a fine loch, nearly a mile in length by half a mile in breadth; it is the use of the inhabitants. Acreage, 0,559; population of paris'.t
ft beautiful sheet of water, abounding with piko, perch, and trout, in 1871, 748.
Upon a smaU artificial island, near the north end of the loch.
POST OFFICE, 49 CASTLE STEEET,
JOHN THOMSON, Post Master.
ARRIVAIiS.
From the South, at half-past one anJ twenty minutes past nine morning. From the North, at five minutes hefore nine morn-
ing, ten minutes before three afternoon, and half*past six evening. From Arbroatli and Dundee, at half-past six morning.
SSSPATCHSS.
To the South, at half-past eight morning, a ijuarter-past two afternoon, and ten minutes before six evening. To the North, at
half-past eight morning, a quarter-past one noon, and a quarter to ten night. To Kinnettles, Douglas Town, Glamis, and Charleston,
at seven morning. To Reseobie and Aberlemno, at seven morning. To Kincaldrum and Kirkbuddo, at seven morning. To
Tanndice and Oathlaw, at seven morning. To Dunnichen and Letham, at ten morning. Letters arrive fi'om Kirriemuir af eight
morning, a quarter to two afternoon, and six evening.
Money Order and Telegrnph Ojfiee and Savings Bank,
Post Office, (Douglas Town) Kinnettles, Jane Whyte, Post jVisfrcw.-— Letters arrive (from Forfar) at eight morning, and .ire
despatched thereto at half-past twelve uoon. The nearest" JlfoKCj/ Order Oj)ice is at Fobfae.
Post Office, (Kincaldrum) Inverabitv, James Irvine, Post Master. — Letters arrive(from Forfar) at half-past eight morning and
are despatched thereto at twelve noon. The nearest Money Order Ojfice is at F bear.
*«* Letters for Re.scobie and the above places should be addressed ^' near Forfar."
828 1-1

Images and transcriptions on this page, including medium image downloads, may be used under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence unless otherwise stated. Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence