‹‹‹ prev (405)

(407) next ›››

M'Callum Alexander, Bonaw
M'Cailum Gilbert, Bonaw
IVI'Nicol John, Airds
M'Niven Donidd, Ta^nuilt
M'Nab Donald, Auchlevon
Morrison Kobeit, Ta^'nuilt
Kelly Alexander (Trustees of), Eouaw
Banatyne John, Aclianacree
Buchanan AuslTus, Blarcreen
Campbell Archibald, Shemellie
CampbsU Dr.—, Stonefield
Campbell Mrs. D. Ardnarkie
Campbell John, Glencoe
Campbell John, Inverliver
Campbell William, Acharn
Clerk Dugald, Duntanachan
Colthart John, Ballure
Coltbart Robert, Locbnell
Jardine James, Fenans
Kinnes John, Ledaig
M' Arthur & Campbell, Aiids Bay
M'Arthur John, Barcaldine
M'Callum D. & J. Ardachy
M'Callum Duncan, Glennaicrie
M'Coll Hutjh, Dalachulish Mil!
M*Dougall Samuel, Kilmaronaig
M'Innes John, Achnoba
WKenzie Dugald & John, Drnvwick
M'Lachlan Finly, Clachadow
MacluUich & Macnivcn, Inverinau
M*Naugbton J. Barporillean
Menzies William, Achnahannet
Muiray James. Tayuuilt
Robertson Alexander, Culcharrau
Saflley R. & J. Fcrnoch
Sinclair Donald, Ledaig
Sinclair Duncan, Auchenreir
_ „._lNNItEEPEKS,&' VINX^fiRi
M'l^iven John, South Connel Ferry
M'Niven W. A. & J. Highland Ferry
Murray James (Taynuilt Inn and posting
house), Taynuilt
Lorn Furnace Company (Harrison. Ainslie &
Co.), Bonaw — James Mum-o, manager
M*Calman Hugh, Taynuilt
M'Niven John, Taynuilt
M'Callam John, Taynuilt
Munro Duncan, Bonaw
Orr John (& baiter), Bonaw
Ardchattan Salmon Fishery, Connel and
Cattanach — William & John M'Niven
Bonaw Salmon Fishery — David Baird, tacks-
man, Bonaw
Hosack William, factor for Lochnell, Bar-
caldine and Coinletter, Barcaldine
M'Callum Donald, joiner, Connell
M'Kenzie "William, cartwright, Taynuilt
M'Niven Donald, tailor, Taynuilt
SimW^illiam & Co. quarryowners
Public Buildingrs, O&cesy &.c.
and their ministehs.
Established Churches:—
Bonaw — Rev. Donald M*Caig
Ardchattan — Rev. Hugh M'Lachlan
Kilchrencn— Rev. Neil M'Kenzie
Fkib CHuitdH, ifctoIiAttiin — Rav. John
- Sutherland , . _.
Free Chceck, Taynuilt — Rev. Thomfti
Ardchattan and Muclcairn — Archibald M. Sin-
clau-, Taynuilt
Ardchattan and MucJcairn — Archibald BI. Sin-
clair, Taynuilt
Clerk d> Treasurer — Ai'chibald M. Sinclair,
Clerk (C Treamrer — Archibald M. Sinclair,
Calling at Taynuilt Inn.
from Oban, atoiit eight morning
To INVERARY, from Oban, about eight
Oban, about half-past nine morning, and
twelve noon, during the summer
To LOCH LOMOND, from Oban, about
eight morning
To OBAN, from Ardrishaig, Inverary and
Loch Lomond, about half-past sis evening
*** These Coaches generally run from Juno
till October.
_ AMPBELTO^^'K is a royal burgh and seaport, 144 miles w. by a. ,
of Edinburgh, and 100 s.w. of Glasgow, by sea, but by land the dis-
tance to either city is greater by 36 miles j 76 s.s.w. of Inverary, 37
B. of Tarbert, 10 n. of Southend, and G e. of Salt-pans, beautifully
Bituated on a fine bay or inlet of the sea. It is a place of great
antiquity, having been a I'oyal residence so early as the fifth century,
at which period. Fergus, the first king of Scotland, fixed his resi-
dence here, and it continued the seat of his successors till 843. It
Vas then called Dnlnthadhaliit and a place on the north side of the
present town is still known by that name, now written Dalaruan ;
but the appellation formerly applied to the site of modern Camp-
beltown was Ceanii Loch (i, e. "head of the Loch "), by which name
the country people still designate the town in Gaelic ; the present
name was given to it in honour of the Duke of Argyll, when it was
made a royal burgh in 1701. The town is sheltered gnthe north and
eouth sides by lofty mountains, and has one of the safest harbours
in the Western Highlands, possessing a depth of from three to
fifteen fathoms at low v/ator. The haven is spacious, being nearly
two miles in length by one in breadth, and protected at its mouth
by the Islo of Devar. which is j(jined to the main laud on the south
eidc by a bar of sand, visible at low water, nearly half a mUe long—
the enti-ance to the bay being from the north. A lighthouse was
erected in 1854, on the Isle of Devar, which is far more efficient
than the old one formerly on the shore. On opening into the bay,
the stranger's attention is arrested by the grand though wild scenery,
particulary on the south side ; and the prospect immediately com-
prises the neat local capital, Campbeltown, situate at the head of
Loch Kilkerran. The public buildings are seen towering above the
dwelling houses, beyond which the eye is carried for some distance
over a fine, fertile, yet mountainous counti-y. From the shore, two
quays project into the bay, so as to allow vessels to load and unload
at low water. The principal one, appropriated to the convenience of
steam boats and heavy vessels, was much improved in 1836, and it
has since been lengthened and considerably improved. It is almost
on a line with Main-street, the other stretches from Shore-street,
and there is a third quay on the opposite side of the. loch, adjoining
that part of the town called Dalintober.
Campbeltown formerly derived great advantage from the herring
fishery, for which it was particularly famed, but since the with-
drawal of the bounty it has somevvhat decayed, few vessels being
now engaged in the trade. The staple at the preseiit time is distil-
Hng whisky, and in this branch nineteen firms are engaged, pro-
ducing an article inferior perhaps to none in the kingdom, chiefly
for the Glasgow and English houses. Next in consequence, and'
mainly, if not entirely dependent for its prosperity on the last-named
branch, is maUirig. "Apricniltuve of hito years has risen into great
imiiortance. Some of tdo finest and richest land in tliis pa;'t of
Scotland hes to the north and west of the town, and is chiefly the
property of the Duke of Argyll and Hector Macneal, Esq. A small
woollen manufactory, a colliery, a net manufactory, rope walk, &c ,
add'tb the bu&inessimportance of the place, whilst its neiglibour-
hood abounds with lime, stone, &c. for building and other purposes^
328 1-1
Few towns of the size of Campbeltown possess equal commercial
advantages. The county building, situate on Castle-hill, is a fine
stona building, in the baronial style. It contains a justice of the
peace court, sheriff's court, and the fiscal's oflices. It was opened
June 1st, 1871, by James Gardiner, Esq., the old sheriff's court, &e.
in Bolgam-street, being now converted into a volunteer orderly-room,
drill room, and police station. There is also the custom house, au
extensive excise establishment, and branches of the Commercial
Bank oi Scotland, the Cljdesdale Bank, and the Royal Bank of
Scotland. The three banks are thus situated, one in Main-street,
and two in Longrow, besides a bank for savings in Bolgam-street,
which was established in 1827, under the provisions of the Act 59
George 3, cap. 62. Steam vessels sail regularly to Glasgow, Greenock,
and Ayi', and occasionally to the adjacent coast towns, and to Belfast,
&c. in Ireland; and numerous coasting vessels freighted to Liver-
pool, and other more distant parts of the empire. The principal
exports are whisky, -wool, herrings, live stock, coals, potatoes, ike.
The imports are timber, coals, grain, yeast, groceries, ii-onmongery,
&c. Campbeltown is connected by telegraph with the principal towns
and villages iu the county, as well as with Glasgow, &c. The
municipal government of the town is vested in a provost, two bailliea,
a dean of guild, and twelve councillors and, combined with Ayr,
Inverary, Irvine and Obau, returns one member to the imperial
parliament— the gentleman at present sitting being SirWilliaiu J. M.
Cuninghame, Bart. The town is gas lighted, and the inhabitants are
well supplied with water by pipes conducted from Crossbill into the
principal streets. The town hall, a convenient building, ornamented
with a handsone spire, contains a council chamber, and au assembly
and other rooms. Campbeltown is the head quarters of the Argyll
and Bute Artillery Militia, and a large and efficient stafi" are liere
permanently stationed ; in the town are also an Artillery Volunteer
Battery, and a Rifle Volunteer Corps.
Places of W^oeship, Schools, &c.— The Castlehill church, so
called from its occupying the site of the ancient royal castle, was
erected in 1781. The Gaelic church, so named from the language in
which ttie service is performed, Wjfts built in 1807, and a beautiful
stone spire added in 1836. The United Presbyterian church was
erected 1767, and is ornamented with a handsome and substantial
stone tower, in the Gothic style, raised in 1834, It was re-erected in
1871, and is now a splendid building, in the Italian style of architeo-
ture, with a large stone tower 150 feet from the ground. The
Episcopal church, situated in Argyll-street, opened also in 1834, waa
at first occupied as a Secession chm-ch, but afterwards as a branch
of the Scotch Ejnscopal church. There are two Free churches, one in
Lochend.a beautiful stone edifice, and the other in Lorn-street, both
of which have recently been rebuilt. The Roman Catholic chapel,
opened in 1819. is a neat structure, with carved stone front and
pinnacles, which gives it a rather imposing apperance. There are
two schools of industry for girls ; and the Dalintober bo} s" and girls'
schools, endowed by a Miss Lucy Campbell, in 1843; also Board

Images and transcriptions on this page, including medium image downloads, may be used under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence unless otherwise stated. Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence