‹‹‹ prev (1659)

(1661) next ›››

(1660)
200
VOLUNTEERS.
CLYDESDALE UPPER WARD SOCIETY.
William Wilson, Esq., president; John Taylor,
Esq., vice-president; Robert D. Nicol, Esq., hon.
treasurer; Jas. Masterton, Esq., hon. vice- treasurer ;
Messrs. John Glaister, M. D., P. H. Aikman, C.A.,
James Simpson, T. P. Thomson, Gavin B. Rodger,
George H. Forrest, Gilbert Thomson, C.E., A. W.
Stewart, Thomas Menzies, John Stewart, John
Scott, and Robert Taylor, directors ; C. B. Aikman
& Thomson, writers, 208 West George Street, secre-
taries ; George Smith, 57 West Nile St., officer.
This society was instituted in 1785, and now
possesses a capital of £1914. Its members, who
must be those connected by birth, parentage, or
marriage with one of the Upper Wards of Lanark-
shire parishes, or have resided therein for ten years,
are entitled to 8s. per week when confined to bed ;
5s. per week when unable to attend their employ-
ment ; and 3s. per week when superannuated. After
being on the roll of members for seven years, these
amounts are increased to 10s. 6d., 7s., and 3s. 6d.
per week, respectively; and the money so bestowed last
year amounted to £159 8s. The entry-money is
10s. 6d., and the quarterly payments range from
2s. Id. at 16, to 2s. lO^d. at 40 years of age.
SCOTTISH SHOPKEEPERS' & ASSISTANTS"
UNION.
(Registered pursuant to Act of Parliament.)
Head Office, 103 Bath St., Glasgow; Aberdeen,
New Trades Hall, Belmont Street ; and branches in
Hamilton, Kilmarnock, Kirkcaldy, Edinburgh, Leith,
and suburbs of Glasgow, &c.
Hon. President, The Right Hon. the Earl of
Aberdeen ; hon. vice-presidents, Right Hon. Sir
Geo. O. Trevelyan, Bart., ex-M.P., Lord Blythswood,
Sir James Carmichael, Bart., ex-M.P., Sir Jas. King,
Bart., J. G. A. Baird, Esq., M.P., A. Cameron Cor-
bett, Esq., M.P., Sir John Lubbock, Bart., M.P., Sir
John S. Maxwell, Bart., M.P., Lord Wolmer, M.P.,
Wm. M'Ewan, Esq , M.P., and John Wilson, Esq.,
M.P., Edinburgh. President, The Hon. David Rich-
mond, Esq., Lord Provost of Glasgow; trustees, Francis
Spite, Esq., Michael Swan, Esq., Bailie W. F. Anderson;
vice-presidents, ex-Bailie Jas. M'Lennan, Glasgow, W.
A. Campbell, Esq., Glasgow, J. G. Couper, Esq., Glas-
gow, A. P. Anderson, Esq.,Glasgo w, Robert Templeton,
Esq., Glasgow, John Stevenson, Esq., T. G. Bishop,
Esq., ex-Dean of Guild Walker, Aberdeen, and others.
Directors, John Howieson (chairman), J. Pinto (vice-
chairman), T. W. W. Flint, K. M. Milligan, R. M.
Milholm, Jas. Scott, R. Westwater, Geo. Urquhart,
R. B. Brown, and James O. Cook ; general secretaries,
Paterson & Benzie, C.A., 63 St. Vincent street,
Glasgow.
The objects of the Union are to combine em-
ployers and assistants connected with shopkeeping
for their mutual benefit, for (1) assurance against
sickness and death, (2) promoting the early closing
of all shops by legitimate agitation and legislative
enactment ; and also to promote a more general
arrangement of half holidays and holidays for shop-
keepers and warehousemen ; and (3) attention to
the public interests of shopkeepers in imperial and
local enactments. Wholesale warehousemen are
eligible as and are invited to become members.
The benefits to members incapacitated by sickness or
accident range from £1 per week, and a payment at
death of £6 5s. according to period of membership.
Females are admitted to membership on half con-
tribution scales.
WELLCROFT BOWLING CLUB,
Queen's Park.
This club was established in January, 1835, and
the bowling green formed on part of the lands of
Wellcroft, situated in Surrey Street, Laurieston.
In 1851 the club removed and formed two beautiful
greens, with a curling pond, near the head of Eglinton
Street, on ground obtained from the Royal Incorpora-
tion of Hutcheson's Hospital. From this site the
club was in 1876 under the necessity of removing
to a more eligible site at the north-west corner of the
Queen's Park, where two spacious greens were
made, a neat and commodious bowl house erected,
and the ground tastefully laid out so as to form a
most agreeable and ornamental adjunct to the locality.
Membership limited to 200. Present membership
(April, 1898), 160. Annual subscription, £1 10s.
Office-bearers for 1898-99 :— President, Archd.
Brownlie ; vice-president, James A. Crerar ; secretary,
Jas. Smith, 21 Bath St. ; treasurer, Jas. M'Creadie,
11 Bothwell Street; ordinary directors, William
Sturgeon, Alexander M'Lennan, David M'Kinlay,
John Taylor, Robert Bowie, and William B. Cowan ;
retiring president, Thomas Watson.
NAMES AND ADDRESSES OF THE COMMISSIONED OFFICERS IN THE VOLUNTEER
FORCES FOR LANARKSHIRE.
OFFICERS OF 1st LANARKSHIRE ARTILLERY
VOLUNTEERS.
Head Quarters, Crown Halls, 98 Sauchiehall st.
(Telephone No. 113.)
Parade Ground, Glasgow Green.
Drill Halls.
East End — James street, Bridgeton.
West End— 138 Berkeley street.
Gun Practice and Drill at Fort Victoria,
Irvine, and Eglinton Battery, Bogside.
Carbine Range, at Provanmill.
HONORARY COLONEL.
Sir Charles W. Cayzer, M.P., Ralston, Renfrewshire
COLONEL-COMMANDANT.
V.D. A. B. Grant, p., 16 So. Frederick street
LIEUT.- COLONEL.
v.d. A Henderson (Hon. Col.), p. t. , Commanding
Field Artillery, 15 Cadogan street
MAJORS.
John Taylor, p. t., Commanding Garrison Artillery,
132 Trongate
A MTnnes Shaw, p., Commanding Right Battalion
Garrison Artillery, Firhill Ironworks, Springbank
Archibald Robertson, p., Commanding Left Battalion
Garrison Artillery, 28 Hope street
CAPTAINS.
R. Thomson (Hon. Major), p., 196 St. Vincent st.

Images and transcriptions on this page, including medium image downloads, may be used under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence unless otherwise stated. Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence