‹‹‹ prev (207)

(209) next ›››

Unfortunately the stone is broken at the place where
stood the date ; and so the " Monkbarnses" will have scope
for speculation, as to when this William the Long wielded
the huge sword of which his monument bears the figure. — «
These stones have been since built in the wall which sur*
rounds the churches, within a few yards of the place where
they were found.
page 61.
In an old publication, entitled "An Theater of Mortality,"
printed in 1713, the following is given as the inscription ©n
Cap. Henry LyeWs Monument, New Church,
East -side fuljnt.
Rex, ad Opus Templi, Salomon i misit Hiramus
Li<ina Tyro Triticum, pactus multumq ; rogatus ;
Qui sub liege meres Dux Ferrum gratis & ultro
Transmittis Templo instaurando, Henrice Lyelle;
Quina quater Tyrio Salomo dedit Oppida Regi,
Quam quinis quaterine fuit, tu pluris es unus.
To Sol'mon's Temple, King Hiram sent, from Tyre,
Fine Cedar-wood, but upon great Desirej
This Church, thou Captain Lyell, to repair,
Didst freely give all what was necessar :
To th' Tyrian King, gave Sol' m on Towns twice ten,
Thou greater than these all and best of Men.
page 65.
Paul Methven was -originally a baker in Dundee. He
commenced reformer and preacher,— became minister at
Jedburgh, — was convicted of adultery, — deposed, and ex-
communicated. He expressed deep sorrow lor his offence,
and declared himself willing to undergo any punishment,
even to the loss of a member of his body. A most hu-
miliating penance was enjoined him, great part of which he
underwent, and then made his escape into England. In
November 1558, a Provincial Council at Edinburgh de-
posed him.
page 67.
This Chapel of Ease, now the Cross Church was occupied
by a party of the Pretender's troops in 1745, as a stable
for their horses*

Images and transcriptions on this page, including medium image downloads, may be used under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence unless otherwise stated. Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence