‹‹‹ prev (34)

(36) next ›››

(35)
goes all the way to Yeaman Shore, and the com-
munication to the Nethergate by Sea lane. — 2.
Butcher-row, running in the same direction. — And
3. That part of the new harbour lying before the
warehouses, which goes on to the Craig ferry. The
new harbour and the improvements in that quarter
are so very extensive, that they justly claim a par-
ticular description and account for themselves.
Immediately on the north of the town is the bury-
ing ground, once the site of the Grey Friars Corde-
lier's Monastery, and the buildings and places be-
longing to it, which were given to the town by the
charter of Queen Mary, to be used for that pur-
pose, as the old burying place round St. Clement's
church, in the middle of the town, was too small,
too much surrounded by houses, and very apt to
breed diseases dangerous to the inhabitants. It is
called the Houf, or HoiF; and is the only burial
place in Scotland of the same name.
The preceding sketch of the town will perhaps
enable the reader to form some notion of the alle-
gorical description of it, as given by the Rev. Ro-
bert Edward, citizen of Dundee, and minister of the
parish of Murroes, in his account of the county of
Angus, published, in Latin, 1678.
With the laudable or at least pardonable partia-
lity of a native, he says, among other observations,
that the harbour of Dundee, by great labour and
expence, had been rendered a very safe and agree-
able station for vessels ; and from that circumstance
the town had become the chief emporium, not only
of Angus, but of Perthshire. He proceeds, " The
citizens here (whose houses resemble palaces) are

Images and transcriptions on this page, including medium image downloads, may be used under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence unless otherwise stated. Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence