‹‹‹ prev (114)

(116) next ›››

Opened in 1858. Under the charge of the Parochial Board of Elgin, and managed
by a Committee of that Board— The Chairman, ilex. Russell, Main; Rev. P. J.
Mackie ; John Mortimer, Elgin ; Alex. Cooper, writer ; Alex. Sivewright, Lossie
Wynd ; and John Adam, saddler. Secretaries and Treasurers— Murdoch & Forsyth,
writers. Assessment, Id per pound on rental of the parish. Collector of Assessment
— F. D. Robertson, Town Clerk. Superintendent— John M'Combie, gardener.
Established in 1841, for supplying the poor of the town with blankets and warm
clothing during the winter, and supported by voluntary subscriptions.
Committee— Mrs. Wylie ; Mrs. Lincl ; Miss C. Forsyth ; Miss Robertson ; Misses
Grant ; Miss Gillan ; Miss Johnston, Newmill ; Miss Barclay ; Miss Macandrew ;
Miss Morice. Secretary— Miss Grant. Treasurer— Mrs. D. C. Gordon.
Misses Smith, 18, Commerce Street ; Miss Graham, 22, South Guildry Street ;
Alexander Jeans, grocer, 200, High Street.
Postmaster— James C. Sinclair.
North mails arrive at 816 a.m., and 5.26 p.m., and box closes for despatches to the
north at LV30 a.m. and 4.30 p.m.
South mails arrive at 1210 p.m., and 5 "23 p.m., and box closes for despatches to the
south at 7"28 a.m., and 4'30 p.m.
Lossiemouth mails arrive at 11 a.m., 4"40 p.m., and 7"30 p'm. ; and box closes for
despatches to Lossiemouth at 8 - 40 a.m., 2150 p.m., and 5"50 p.m.
Speyside mail arrives at 8 16 A. m. , and box for despatch to Speyside closes at 4 "30. p. m.
Duff us Post Runner (John Eddie) leaves Elgin at 6 a.m., passes Quarry wood,
Duff us, Hopeman, and on to Burghead, returning to Elgin at 4 '25 p.m.
Birnie Post Runner (William Jeans) leaves Elgin at 8 - 50 a.m., delivers letters for
New Elgin, proceeds to Heath Cottage, and to Tomshill in Birnie, whence he returns
to Elgin at 12-50 P. M
Pluscarden Post Runner (William Skene) leaves Elgin at 8 '50 a.m., delivers letters
through Mosstowie, and goes onto Pluscarden Post Office, returning to Elgin at 4 '20 p.m.
Lhanbryd Post Runner (Michael Anderson) leaves Elgin at 5 '50 p.m., delivers
letters in Lhanbryd, Urquhart Village, and goes on to Lochill, returning to Lhan-
bryd for the night, and reaching Elgin at 7 - 20 a.m. on the following morning.
Post Office open every lawful morning, from first March to end of October, at 7
a m , and during the remaining months at 7'30 a.m. Closes at 9 p.m. On Sunday, open
from 9 to 10 A. m. , and from 8 to 9 p. m. —window deliveries during these hours. Money
Order Office and Post Office Savings' Bank open from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., on Saturdays to
8 P.M.
Town deliveries at 8"50 a.m., 1 p.m., and 6 - 5 p.m.
Pillar Letter Boxes at West End of High Street, Elgin, and at Bishopmill ; the
former cleared at 7 A.M., 11 A.M., and 4 p.m., and the latter at 6'40 A.M., and 4 p.m.
Gordon Arms Hotel, 120, High Street, Mearns Bruce ; Station Hotel, foot of Moss
Street, manager, Alex. Green ; City Hotel, 195 and 197, High Street, John Cameron ;
Sta°- Hotel, 7, Commerce Street, Malcolm M'Pherson; Fife Arms Hotel, Fife Arms
Close, 96, High Street, P. M 'Donald; Eagle Inn, South Street, Thomas Bower; Star
Inn 100 High Street, George Buie ; New Market Inn, 130 High Street, James George ;
White Horse Inn, 160, High Street, Robert Gill ; Plough Inn, 106, High Street,
Alex. Grant ; Harrow Inn, 114, High Street, Alex. Royan ; Engine Inn, South College
Street, Robt. Rhind; North Pole, North Street, William Bowie; Crown Inn, Lossie
Wynd, Mrs Laing.
James Ross, M.D., Begg's Buildings, High Street ; Wm Robb, M.B 215 .High
Street; George Duff, M.D., 76, High Street; J. W. Norns Mackay, M.D., 11, North
Street ; James Ferguson, M.D., 6, Batchen Lane.
Dentist— James Shiach, 5, Commerce Street.
H 2

Images and transcriptions on this page, including medium image downloads, may be used under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence unless otherwise stated. Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence