‹‹‹ prev (49)

(51) next ›››

(50)
38
Raeburn, A., blacksmith, South. Row.
Roy, George, joiner, South Row.
Robertson, James, carpenter, do.
Robson, A., gardener, Westmoreland St.
Saunders, Agnes, dressmaker, HuntlySt.
Sutherland, Miss, teacher, Milne's Insti-
tution (h. Huntly Street).
Strachan, James, teacher, Milne's Insti-
tution (h. Westmoreland Street).
Strachan, W., Enzie Toll Bar.
Smith, Dr Robert, South Row.
Slorach, John, gardener, Gordon Street.
Sievewright, W, mason, Maxwell Lane.
Scott, Alex., joiner, do.
Steele, James, sawyer, Gordon Lane.
Spence, W. , book canvasser, Castle Row.
Stewart, J. & L., fleshers, Charlotte Lane.
Stewart, Misses, of Tannachie, So. Row.
Symon, Jas., forester, Westmoreland St.
Symon, W., cabinetmaker, Huntly St.
Taylor, John, coal mercht., Gordon Lane.
Thomson, John W., draper, Gordon St
Thomson, John, grocer, Duke Street.
Thompson, Jane, dressmaker, So. Row,
Tully, Wm., joiner, Westmoreland St,
Tully, Thomas, joiner, Huntly Street.
Wallace, James, Hotel, Gordon Street.
Watson, D., mason, Huntly Street.
Watson, Thomas, mason, do.
Webster, John, gardener, Gordon Castle.
Weir, Rev. Peter, R. C. C, Westmore-
land Street.
Williamson, R., grocer, Huntly Street.
Wilson, Mrs, dressmaker, do.
Wiseman, Joseph, jun., clerk, Factor's
Office.
PARISH OF BO HARM.
Boharm extends about thirteen miles from south-west to north-east, and about four
miles across that line. It is situated one half in Elginshire, and one half in Banff-
shire, and stretches along the east bank of the Spey from near Fochabers to the mouth,
of the Fiddich. The Church, Manse, and Schoolhouse, are in Elginshire. The Free
Church is in Banffshire.
Population in 1861— In Morayshire— 330 males, and 367 females ; in all 699. In
Banff shire— 377 males, and 336 females ; in all 713. Total population of the Parish, 1-112.
Patrons — The Crown, one vice ; Earl of Fife, two.
Minister —The Rev. Alex. Murdoch. Ordained, 1841. Inducted in Boharm in 1354.
Stipend— surrendered teinds, money, £169, barley, 34 bolls, oatmeal, 61 bolls yearly, a
Manse and Glebe of about 30 acres, but no allowance for communion elements.
Free Church— Rev. Wm. Morrison. Ordained, 1859.
Schools— First Parish School, near the Church. Teacher— Thomas Fraser, A.M.
Admitted, 1358. Salary, £40, which, with Dick Bequest, school fees, &c, amounts to
about £100, besides a free House and an allowance for a Garden. Second Parish
School at Maggynockater. Teacher— Alex. Ross. Admitted, 1362. Salary, £25, with
fees (school eligible for Dick Bequest), and free House and Garden. Female School at
Maggynock iter— Supported by the Society for the Propagation of Christian Know-
ledge, and an allowance from the Proprietor— Hay Macdowall Grant of Arndilly.
Teacher— Mrs Forbes. There is also a Female School at Mulben, and another at
Forgie, to which the Earl of Seafield gives annual allowances.
Heritors— Hay Macdowall Grant of Arndilly ; the Right Hon. the Earl of Seafield ;
Andrew Steuart of Auchlunkart; Major L. D. Gordon Duff of Drummurr.
Post Town— Keith. Sub-Office, Blackhillock, near the centre of the parish. Post-
mastei — William M'Kay.
Distances— Of Church from Keith, 6 miles ; from Craigellachie, 6 miles ; from
Rothes, 6 miles ; from Fochabers, 7 miles ; from Portgordon, 11 miles ; from Elgin,
13j miles by Suspension Bridge.
Boharm Suspension Bridge over the Spey, near Orton—ToUs attbe same rate as at the
ordinary turnpike gates ; but payable both going and returning. Foot passengers also
pay id. each. Distance between Elgin and Keith by this route, IS? miles.
Parochial Board — Hay Macdowall Grant, of Arndilly (Chairman)— Mr John
Mantach, his mandatory ; Earl of Seafield— Peter Brown, Linkwood, his mandatory ;
Andrew Steuart of Auchlunkart, M.P. ; Major L. D. Gordon Duff of Drummuir ;
Rev. Alexander Murdoch, minister of Boharm ; Alex. Bremner, Alexander Jock,
James Cameron, George Birnie, and James Newlands, elders ; Alexanler Paterson,
Mulben, member for the ratepayers.
Inspector and Collector— John Fraser, Achroisk. Salary, £30 yearly— £20 as In-
spector, and £10 as- Collector.
Registrar — Thomas Fraser, schoolmaster.
Railway Station— Mulben, less than a mile from the Parish Church.

Images and transcriptions on this page, including medium image downloads, may be used under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence unless otherwise stated. Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence