‹‹‹ prev (1594)

(1596) next ›››

Jell, F.F.P.S.G., for the medical and surgical treat-
aent of diseases of women ; for the advancement
f science in the treatment of these diseases ; and
or the more efficient instruction of students in this
ranch of the medical profession.
The affairs of the Institution are managed by
ourteen directors (eight of whom are ladies), who
lect a staff of physicians, a ladies' visiting committee,
,nd a secretary and treasurer, to carry out the work
Q detail, all of whose offices are honorary.
The Hospital is maintained by voluntary con-
tributions. Its operations are for the benefit of
respectable females in poor circumstances, who receive
gratuitous advice, treatment, and medical appliances-
There is also accommodation for a few in-door
patients at a reduced charge for board, suited to
their circumstances. Every sufferer welcome.
Patients are admitted on Mondays, Tuesdays,
Thursdays, and Fridays, from 3 till 4 o'clock after-
Patients are permitted to receive visitors on Satur-
day afternoon from 4 till 6 o'clock.
21 Miller Street.
Founded on a bequest of the late Stephen Mitchell,
isq. Mr. Mitchell died in April, 1874, and the be-
(uest was accepted by the Town Council in July of
|he same year.
The library was opened November 1, 1877, and is
ppen daily from 9.30 a.m. till 10 p.m. uninterruptedly,
^t now contains about 123,000 volumes, and is the
argest library in Scotland to which the general
lublic have a right of free admission. The books
ire not to be taken away, but may be read in
he library, which has been conveniently furnished
or this purpose, there being separate accommodation
or ladies and for students. There is a magazine
oom, where may be seen about 400 of the principal
veekly, monthly, and quarterly periodicals of all
lasses — literary, artistic, scientiiic, trade, technical,
md general — and including a number of American,
[jerman, and French serials. The admission is free,
md no introduction or guarantee is requu-ed. In
he selection of the books to form the library
ffbrts have been made to give it a thoroughly
epresentative character, so that students in every
lepartment of knowledge will derive advantage from
ts use. Collections of books relating to Scotland,
nd particularly to Glasgow and the West, are form
ng. The "Poets Corner" is believed to contain the
iargest and most valuable library of Burns and Scot'
ish Poets and Dramatists in existence. Much atten-
ion has also been devoted to seeming standard
vorks on industrial and technological subjects, from
Ivhich many persons engaged in manufactures, espe^
jiaUy such as include design, derive much advan
The number of readers is large — over 2000
' '' laily — the average number of volumes consulted daily
|)eing from 1700 to 1800. The total number issued
rom the commencement to 6th March, 1897, was
^,379,506, exclusive of the reading of the periodicals
n the magazine room, the references to which are
istimated to be not less in number than the volumes
The library is administered by the following com-
inittee of the Town Coun'sil : the Hon. the Lord Pro-
rost; Bailie Fife, convener; Treasurer Colquhoun,
LL.D.^ sub-convener; Bailies Sinclair, M'Cutcheon,
;Hunter, and Battersby, Dean of Guild Donald
Graham, CLE., D.L., Depute River Bailie Cuthbert,
yonncillors Bilsland, Browne, Carswell, Ferguson,
Jray, Maxwell, Sandilands, D. M. Stevenson, N. M.
Thomson. F. T. Barrett, librarian; John Ingram,
48 Miller Street.
Stirling's Public Library was founded by Walter
Stirling, merchant and ex-bailie of the city, and son
of Dr. William Stirling, a well-known Glasgow sur-
geon of the last century. The bequest came into
effect at the death of Mr. Stirling on 18th January,
1791. It consisted of the founder's own library (802
volumes), his house in Miller Street (where the library
now stands), a share in the Tontine Society, and the
sum of £1000. Mr. Stirling directed that the library
was to be free to any one, and was to exist in per-
petuity. In 1825 Mr. William Jameson, jun., be-
queathed his books to the library. In 1871 Dr.
Scouler, professor of mineralogy in the Royal Society
of Dublin, bequeathed his collection of books ; and iiti
the same year the Glasgow Public Library, a subscrip-
tion lending library started in 1804, amalgamated
with Stirling's Library, and the title then became
Stirling's and Glasgow Public Library.
The library contains over 50,000 volumes and pam-
phlets, including many rare, valuable, and useful
works. It possesses several manuscripts (two on
vellum), and nearly thirty examples of fifteenth cen-
tury printing, the earliest being 1469, or fourteen
years after the issue of the first printed book. It is
the depository of the only complete set in the West o?
Scotland of the publications of Her Majesty's Patenfj
Office, which consist of over 150,000 separate publi-
cations. They date from 1617 when the first British
patent was enrolled, and come up to the latest patents
issued. The Board of Trade recently presented a
complete set of the Trade Marks Journal to the
library, and supply the current numbers as issued.
The Government of the United States have also
presented their Specifications of Patents from the
28th March, 1893, and continue to supply the
current numbers as issued.
The foundation being inadequate for the propey
maintenance of the library the directors organized a
system of lending of books. This has been immensely
developed in recent years, and a large supply of new
books and magazines — over 2000 annually of the
latter — render it one of the best, as it is by far the most
extensive and most moderately rated lending library
in the city and district. The terms are — For two
works and one magazine at a time, one year, 10s. 6d.:,
six months, 7s. 6d.; life, £5 6s.; for one work (no
magazine) at a time, one year, 5s. 3d. Members
may join at any time (no entry money), and may
change their books and magazines singly or together
as often as they choose. The library is open every
lawful day from 10 a.m. till 10 p.m.

Images and transcriptions on this page, including medium image downloads, may be used under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence unless otherwise stated. Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence