‹‹‹ prev (1496)

(1498) next ›››

(1497)
EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTIONS.
147
\ HUTCHESONS' EDUCATIONAL TRUST.
(Constituted by Scheme No. 9 under the Educational
Endowments (Scotland) Act, 1882.)
The income is applied to the maintenance of a
grammar school for boys and a higher class school
for girls ; the education of foundationers, and to free
scholarships, school bursaries, university and techni-
cal college bursaries ; also higher education bursaries
for girls. Subsidies are paid to the Glasgow and West
of Scotland Technical College, and to the Glasgow
School of Ai't and Haldane's Academy. Eector of
Boys' Grammar School, T. Menzies ; head master of
Girls' Grammar School, W. Thomson, B. A.; treasurers.
Hill & Hoggan, 194 Ingram Street; assistant treas.
John Wilson ; secretary, W. H. Macdonald ; office,
Hutchesons' Building, 158 Ingram Street.
THE GLASGOW CITY EDUCATIONAL
ENDOWMENTS BOARD.
(Constituted by Scheme No. 10 under the Educa-
tional Endowments (Scotland) Act, 1882.)
The scheme embraces the following endowments ;
Anderson's School, Dr. A. Bell's Bequest, Coulter's
Mortification, Scotstarvit Mortification, Murdoch's
School, Hood's School, Maxwell School, Alexander's
Endowment, M'Grigor's Bequest, Macfarlane's School
and M'Millan's Bequest. The scheme makes provi-
sion for the maintenance of a school for boys, free
scholarships, school bursaries, bursaries for technical
and higher education, university bursaries and advanced
evening class bursaries ; and a subsidy is paid to the
West of Scotland Technical College. The bursaries
are awarded among pupils of public or state-aided
schools iu Glasgow, or of any school maintained
tinder the scheme. Secretaiy, W. H. Macdonald ;
treasurer, John Wilson ; olBces, Hutchesons' Building,
168 Ingram Street.
THE GLASGOW GENERAL EDUCATIONAL
ENDOWMENTS BOARD.
(Constituted by Scheme No. 11 under the Educa-
tional Endowments (Scotland) Act, 1882.)
The scheme embraces the following endowments :
Muir's School Fund, Millar and Peadie's School,
Wilson's School, Gardner's School, M'Lachlan's School,
and Graham's School. The scheme provides for the
awarding of free scholarships, school bursaries, techni-
cal and higher education bursaries, bursaries for even-
ing classes, &o. The bursaries are awarded among
pupils of public or state-aided schools in Glasgow,
or public or state-aided schools in the district of the
School Board of Cathcart, or of any School Board
contiguous to and immediately adjoining the district
of the School Board of the burgh of Glasgow. Secre-
tary, W. H. Macdonald; treasurer, John Wilson;
office, Hutchesons' Building, 158 Ingram Street.
THE CARLTON ELOCUTION AND DRAMATIC
CLUB.
Instituted in 1878.
^ For the advancement of its members in the elocu-
tionaiy and dramatic arts. Sleetings are held in the
club rooms every Tuesday evening from October to
March inclusive. Matt. Fairlie, 15 York Street,
hon. secretary.
THE HIGH SCHOOL OF GLASGOW.
Founded in the 12th Century,
Patrons — The Hon. Lord Provost, Magistrates,
and Town Council. Managers, the School Board of
Glasgow. Committee of management, High School
Committee of School Board,
Rector, D. H. Paton, LL.D.
Classics, the Rector, J. Hutchison, M.A., LL.D.,
And. Anderson, M.A., Wm. Law, M.A., and A. L
Taylor, M.A.
French, F. J. Amours, B.A., John Henderson,
James Moyes, and Donald Campbell, M.A.
German, C. Schlomka, M.A., Ph.D., and John
Haddow, CM.
English, Geography, &c., H. M, Barker, M.A.,
LL.D., A. Struthers, M.A., D. Henderson, and John
T. Fleming, M.A.
Mathematics and Arithmetic, A. J. Gunion Barclay,
M.A., F.R.S.E., Wm. Reid, M.A., Robert S. Wishart,
M.A., James Macmillan, M.A., R. A. Nicolson, M.A,
B.Sc, Frank L. Grant, M. A., Alex. Stevenson, M. A.'
B.Sc, and John Weir, M.A.
Writing and Book-keeping, J, Dalziel Maclean,
and James Crawford, M.A.
Drawing and Painting, James Campbell, CM.,
Thomas A. Watson, CM., and Wm, Paddock, CM.
Science, A. J. Gunion Barclay, M.A., F.R.S.E.,
R. A. Nicolson, M.A., B.Sc, and staff.
Fencing, Gymnastics, and Drill, Henry Roland and
Sergeant M'Neil.
Singing, and Theory of Music, R. L, Reid, G. & L.,
T.S.C ' '
Phonography, John Henderson.
Janitor, Robert Hardie.
The session begins on 2nd September. The vaca-
tion begins on the 1st of July, and ends on the 31st
August.
THE GLASGOW HIGH SCHOOL CLUB.''
The objects of the club are generally to promote
the interests of the High School, especially by the
establishment of prizes in the shape of scholarships.
All who have attended the Glasgow Grammar School,
or the High School of Glasgow, are eligible as mem-
bers upon payment of 21s. There is no annual
subscription. President, Lord Provost Bell; vice-
presidents, the Rev. R. K. Monteath and T. W.
Cuthbertson, M.A. ; treasurer, John C Kemp, 75
Buchanan Street; secretary, J, B. Douglas, M.A.,
157 St. Vincent Street.
CALTON, MILE-END, AND BRIDGETON
MECHANICS' INSTITUTION.
46 Canning Street.
Wm. Wilkie, president ; James Whitelaw, vice-
president; D. L. Stevenson, secretary; Jas. Hendry,
treasurer; Miss Gordon, librarian; John Henderson,
janitor.
The object of the institution is to afford facilities
for instruction in the sciences, especially those con-
nected with the arts. The library contains 3000
volumes. The reading-room is supplied with all the
leading newspapers and magazines.
Annual subscription to Reading-room and library
combined, 7s. ; Reading-room, 5s. ; Is. 6d. per
quarter ; -^d. per visit. Annual subscription to
Library, 4s. ; Is, per quarter. Open daily from
8 a.m. to 10 p.m.

Images and transcriptions on this page, including medium image downloads, may be used under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence unless otherwise stated. Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence