‹‹‹ prev (1487)

(1489) next ›››

(1488)
138
ARTISTIC, LITEKAEY, AND SCIENTIFIC INSTITUTIONS.
NATIONAL SECULAR SOCIETY.
President, G. W. Foote.
Glasgow Branch — Hall, 110 BruDswick Street.
Sunday Meetings, 12 noon and 6.30 p.m.
Principles and Objects. — Secularism teaches that
conduct should be based on reason and knowledge.
It knows nothing of divine guidance or interference ;
it excludes supernatural hopes and fears ; it regards
happiness as man's proper aim, and utility as his
moral guide. Secularism affirms that progress is
only possible through liberty, which is at once a right
and a duty ; and therefore seeks to remove every
barrier to the fullest equal freedom of thought, action
and speech. Secularism declares that theology is
condemned by reason as superstitious and by ex-
perience as mischievous, and assails it as the historic
enemy of progress. Secularism accordingly seeks to
dispel superstition ; to spread education ; to dis-
establish religion ; to rationalise morality ; to pro-
mote peace ; to dignify labour ; to extend material
well-being, and to realise the self-government of the
people. All communications to be addressed to Mr.
R. Ferguson, 82 Ingram Street,
THE WEST OF SCOTLAND SANITARY
ASSOCIATION.
President) Sir James King, Bart., LL.D., ex-Lord
Provost ; secretary, 'W'. E. M. Church, C.A. ; office,
104 West George Street, Glasgow.
The object of this association is to provide its
members at moderate cost with such advice and
supervision as shall insure the proper sanitary condi-
tion of their own dwellings. This object is attained
by the members' houses being annually inspected and
reported on by our experienced engineers. Annual
subscription for town houses, 21s. Special arrange-
ments made for coast and country houses.
THE GLASGOW EASTERN BOTANICAL
SOCIETY.
Established March, 1876.
For the study of Botanical science ; meets in the
Bridgeton Mechanics' Institution on the fii-st Wednes-
day of each month ; president. Prof. Thos. King, 110
Hill St., Garnethill; vice-presidents, George Horn, 5
Bellgrove St., and Joseph Christie, 424 New Road,
Parkhead ; secretary and treasurer, S. M. Welhvood,
128 St. Vincent Street; curator, Robert Morton, 123
North John Street.
PALETTE CLUB.
4 Albany Place.
Instituted 1881.
President, Andrew R. Clark; vice-president,
R. H. Eider; hon. secretary, J. S. Knox, writer, 48
W. Regent Street; hon. treasurer, Andrew Robb, 126
St. Vincent Street ; committee, G. T. Gartly, Robert
Napier, Wm. Peacock, and George Sutherland.
The objects of the Club are the study and promo-
tion of art and music by means of (1) life classes,
(2) musical evenings, and (3) social meetings ; and
candidates for membership must possess some qualifi-
cation for furthering these objects, and require to be
nominated by at least two members of the Club.
THE INSTITUTION OF ENGINEERS AND
SHIPBUILDERS IN SCOTLAND (INCOR-
PORATED).
Established to facilitate the exchange of informa-
tion and ideas amongst its members, to place on
record the results of experience elicited in discussion,
and to promote the advancement of science and prac-
tice in Engineering and Shipbuilding. The General
Meetings of the Institution take place monthly from
October to April inclusive, in the Hall of the Insti-
tution, 207 Bath Street. Monthly meetings of
the Graduate Section are also held during the session.
The Transactions of the Institution are pubhshed
monthly during the session, and in volume form at
close of session. The library of the institution con-
tains engineering and scientific works and the Trans-
actions of various societies.
Office-bearers, Thirty-eighth Session, 1894-95 : — ■
President, John Inglis; vice-presidents, Geo. Russell,
James Rowan, and Henry A. Mayor; councillors. Prof.
Barr, D.Sc, James Moliison, Matthew Holmes, Prof.
Jamieson, Chas. P. Hogg, Andw. S. Biggart, Lindsay
Burnet, David J. Dunlop, W. C. Wallace, David C.
Hamilton; finance committee, John Inglis, pres.,
convener, A. S. Biggart, Geo. Russell, -James Molii-
son ; library committee, Professor Barr, hon. lib.,
convener, Prof. Jamieson, C. P. Hogg, Jas. Rowan ;
hon. councillors — past presidents, James M. Gale,
David Rowan, H. R. Robson, Robert Dundas ; hon.
treasurer, J. M. Gale, City Chambers, John Street ;
secretary and editor of Transactions, W. J. Millar,
Institution Rooms, 207 Bath Street ; hon. librarian,
Prof. Barr, D.Sc, Glasgow University ; curator and
librarian, Francis Martin, Institution Rooms, 207
Bath Street.
THE MICROSCOPICAL SOCIETY OF
GLASGOW.
President, Prof. Thomas King, 110 Hill street,
Garnethill.
For the purpose of popularising the use of the i
microscope as a recreation, of aifording incentives j
to students of nature to engage in original research, 1
and to give opportunities for mutual aid by means
of meetings at which papers are read, demonstrations
given, and objects of interest exhibited. Annual sub-
scription, 6s.
The Society meets in the rooms, 200 Buchanan
street. Fm-ther particulars as to meetings, rules, &c.
from hon. secretaries, M. Ballantine, 101 Buchanan
Street, and P. Goodfellow, 181 Comely park Street.
THE ROYAL SCOTTISH SOCIETY OF
PAINTERS IN WATER COLOURS.
Office of the Society, 49 West George Street.
Secretary, J. Wright Robb.
Founded in 1878, holding an annual exhibition
of the works of its members. The president is Sir
Francis Powell, R.W.S., and the vice-president, Wm.
M'Taggart, R.S.A. ; elections take place in January.
The council may request candidates to submit two
water colours for inspection of members. Entrance
fee, £10, 10s. Annual subscription, £1, Is.

Images and transcriptions on this page, including medium image downloads, may be used under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence unless otherwise stated. Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence