‹‹‹ prev (1456)

(1458) next ›››

(1457)
ASSOCIATIONS TOO LATE FOR
CLASSIFICATION.
WELLCROFT BOWLING CLUB,
Queen's Park.
This club was established in January, 1835, and
the bowling green formed on part of the lands of
Wellcroft, situated in Surrey Street, Laurieston.
In 1851 the club removed and formed two beautiful
greens, with a curling pond, near the head of Eglinton
Street, on ground obtained from the Eoyal Incorpora-
tion of Hutcheson's Hospital. From this site the
club was in 1876 under the necessity of removing
to a more eligible site at the north-west corner of the
Queen's Park, where two spacious greens were
made, a neat and commodious bowl house erected,
and the ground tastefully laid out so as to form a
most agreeable and ornamental adjunct to the locality.
Membership limited to 200. Present membership
(April, 1899), 185. Annual subscription, £1 10s.
Office-bearers for 1899-1900: — President, James
A. Crerar; vice-president, George Black; secretary,
William Sturgeon, 49 Virginia St. ; treasurer, Alex.
M'Lenaan, 92 St. Vincent St.; ordinary directors,
Thomas Henderson, David M'Kinlay, Robert Bowie,
Alex. Allan, Daniel Douglas, and Arthur H. Knight ;
retiring president, Archd. Brownlie.
GLASGOW SEAMEN'S EVANGELISTIC
MISSION.
Bethei, — ^The Ferry, 10 Springfield Terrace, s.s.
Object — The spiritual and social well-being of sea-
men and their families. The work is carried on by a
«baplain, assisted by about sixty voluntary workers.
Seven in-door and 3 open-air services are held weekly.
Bags well stocked •with books and a New Testament
in each are put on board out-going vessels. Tracts
in English and in foreign languages are distributed
freely among the men. The ships and sailors' fami-
lies are visited regularly, and the men of the sea are
influenced in every way for good. Other ports have
more than one such society, and the needs of Glasgow,
along with the great success which has followed the
efforts of this Mission, will abundantly justify its
«xistence. The Seamen's Mission is dependent upon
voluntary contributions, which may be sent to the
secretary, Mr. James Neilson, The Fen-y, 10 Spring-
ifield Terrace, s.s., Glasgow.
CLYDESDALE AMATEUR ROWING CLUB.
Established 1858.
Honorary president, J. H. Rodger, Esq.; presi-
■dent, John Hercus ; hon. secretary, Malcolm Black,
■Clydebank Shipyard, Clydebank; hon. treasurer,
Harry Hart, 139 Wishart street, Glasgow.
Club house, 2 South York street Qwest of Green
Suspension Bridge).
Annual subscription, One Guinea.
THE CARLTON ELOCUTION -AND DRAMATIC
CLUB.
Instituted in 1878.
For the study and practice of elocution, and for
the advancement of literary and di-amatic tastes
among its members. Meets every Thursday evening
at 8 p.m., from October to March inclusive, in the
rooms, 94 West Regent street. Hon. secretary, Jas.
S. Paterson, 39 Abbotsford place.
TRADESTON LIBERAL-UNIONIST
ASSOCIATION.
Office and Reading Room, 2 Carlton Court.
Hon. President, A. Cameron Corbett, M.P. ;
president, Sir Renny Watson; chairman, ex-Bailie
Bowman ; treasurer, John Shannan ; secretary, Wm.
Niveu ; Organizing agent, D. Anderson.
SOUTH SIDE WORKING MEN'S CLUB
AND INSTITUTE,
465 Paisley Road.
Tnistees, Sir Renny Watson, ex-Provost Campbell,
commissioner Wm. Gray; hon. president, Rev. W.
W. Tulloch, D.D. ; president. Bailie Ferguson; vice-
presidents, William Walker and Geo. M'Kinlay; hon.
treasurer, George Galloway, 52 Ardgowan Street;
hon. secretary, James M'Kelvie, 111 Watt Street;
directors, Wm. R. Danskin, Peter Peddle, Daniel
M'Gregor, Charles Wroe, John Hutcheson, George
Buchanan, James Noble, John Anderson, and Wm.
Morton, junr.
The objects of the club are to afford to the mem-
bers the means of social intercourse, mutual helpful-
ness, mental and moral improvement, and rational
recreation. Open daily from 10 a.m. till 10.30 p.m.
Annual subscription, 5s. ; half-yearly subscription,
2s. 6d. ; quarterly subscription. Is. 3d.; monthly
ticket, 6d. ; visitors, Id. per visit.
WEST OF SCOTLAND COLLEGE OF
PHARMACY,
157 St. Vincent Street.
Principals, Thos. Maben, F.C.S. Ph.C, and Thos.
S. Barrie, Ph.C, analytical and consulting chemists.
Lectures and demonstrations are delivered daiiy
on Chemistry, Pharmacy, Botany, Materia Medica,
in connection with the minor and major examina-
tions held in Edinburgh and London of the Pharma-
ceutical Society of Great Britain.
Chemistry and Botany, Thomas S. Barrie ; Phar-
macy and Materia Medica, Thos. Maben.

Images and transcriptions on this page, including medium image downloads, may be used under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence unless otherwise stated. Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence