‹‹‹ prev (873)

(875) next ›››

(874)
102
COMMERCIAL ASSOCIATIONS.
GLASGOW BRANCH OF THE FREE CHURCH
SCHOOLMASTERS' ASSOCIATION.
The members meet on the first Saturday of every
month, from October to April inclusive, in the Hall
of the Free Church Normal Seminary, at 12 o'clock
noon, when a paper is usually read on some subject
connected with the art of teaching, or on some literary
or scientific subject viewed in relation to education.
Office-bearers — J. Donaldson, president ; G. Small,
Kinning Park Schools, secretary; J. Milne, treasurer.
BRIDGETON WORKING MEN'S CLUB AND
READING-ROOM.
157 Canning Street.
W. Holmes, Esq., D. Laidlaw, Esq., James
Clachan, Esq., trustees ; Thomas Dun, Esq., banker,
president ; J. Watt, treasurer ; J. Taylor, secretary ;
L. Maxton, superintendent.
The object of the institution being to afford fa-
cilities to working men for social intercourse, mutual
improvement, instruction, and rational recreation,
is open daily from 9 a.m till 10 p.m. The library
contains upwards of 700 volumes, including a large
number of recently issued works. The reading-room
is supplied with all the leading newspapers and
magazines. The large halls are allotted for games,
as follows : — Billiards, bagatelle, curling, draughts,
chess, &c. Annual subscription, 5s., with library,
6s. ; half-yearly subscription, 2s. 6d., with library,
3s. 6d. ; monthly ticket, 6d. ; visitors, Id.
THE GLASGOW COBDEN CLUB.
Committee Rooms — Cobden Hotel, 81 Argyle
Street.
Office-bearers for 1870 — Bailie J. Burt, president,
R. Dalglish, M.P., W. Graham, M.P., G. Anderson,
M.P., H. E. C. Ewing, M.P., W. Holmes, Esq., S.
Mason, Esq , Councillors A. H. M'Lellan, J. Ure,
vice-presidents ; Mr W. Yuile, treasurer, 9 Gallow-
gate; W. Melvin, secretary, 89 South Portland
Street.
Objects. — The objects of the association shall be
to perpetuate the memory of Richard Cobden, as one
of the greatest political and social benefactors of his
country, and to promote co-operation with other
reformers in maintaining and extending the principles
he advocated of public liberty, free trade, arbitration,
peace, retrenchment, and education.
Admission, life members, £5. Entry-money, 5s for
ordinary members.
MACAULAY LITERARY CLUB.
Office-Bearers.
T. Moir, president; J. Anderson, J. Beveridge,
vice-presidents; J. C. Macnair, 23 W. George St.
secretary ; T. B. Browning, treasurer ; P. Moir,
E. F. Bamber, R. J. Cameron, committee.
The club meets every alternate Saturday evening
during the session (October to April) at 7 o'clock,
in Buchanan's Hotel, 20 Carlton Place.
ASSOCIATION OF ENGINEERS IN
GLASGOW".
OFFICE-BEARERS.
President, Mr W. G. Bowser; vice-president, Mr
J. Page, C.E ; hon. secretary and treasurer, Mr J.
Sutherland, 32 Dumbarton Road ; librarian, Mr D.
Johnstone, and a council of eight members.
The association was established in 1860 for the
study of engineering (civil and mechanical) and kin-
dred scientific subjects, and for the promotion of
intercourse amongst the members of the profession.
Meetings for the reading and discussion of papers are
held in the Religious Institution Rooms twice a month,
from October till May.
GLASGOW CENTRAL WORKING MEN'S
CLUB AND INSTITUTE.
68 Trongatb, Opposite Tron Steeple.
The objects of this institute are to promote the
social, moral, and intellectual welfare and recreation
of the industrial classes. These objects are sought
to be attained by the following means : — (1) The
provision of a spacious reading-room, well supplied
with the Glasgow, London, Edinburgh, and principal
provincial newspapers, and magazines, and other
periodicals. (2) Recreation halls, in which are
provided the articles for the games of billiards,
bagatelle, chess, draughts, dominoes, &c. (3) Con-
versation, discussion, literary, musical, and social
meetings.
The club halls are open every lawful day from 9
a.m. till 10.30 p.m., Saturdays, 11 p.m. The
annual subscription is 5s. ; monthly 6d. ; visitors,
Id. each.
D. Fortune, preses ; W. W. Wyllie, vice-presi-
dent ; Wm. Melvin, treasurer ; W. G. Pinkerton,
secretary; Messrs. Wilson, J.Ingram, J. Bonnar,
J. Pollock, J. Beckett, Hillhouse, D. Fisher, J.
Scott, D. M'Gillivray, J. Court, and J. M'Gregor,
directors ; A. M. Robertson, janitor ; J. Hastie,
assistant.
COMMERCIAL ASSOCIATIONS.
TRADES' HOUSE— 1870.
Thos. Warren, Esq., deacon-convener; John Bell,
Esq., collector ; W. Bannerman, Esq., late convener.
Hammermen. — A. Gilchrist, deacon; J. Healy, late
deacon; J. Morison, A. Inglis, T. Warren, W. Smith.
Tailors. — Douglas Murray, deacon ; Wm. Guthrie,
late deacon ; James Thomson, John Roger, David
Anderson, R. A. Bogue.
Cordiners. — Mat. Paterson, deacon ; Js. Simpson,
late deacon ; Thomas Blyth, James Brown, William
Morrison, William Gibson.
Maltmen. — William Scott, Visitor ; James Smith,
late visitor; Wm. Maclean, James Neilson, George
Ledingham, Charles Malloch.
Weavers. — Wm. Johnston, sen., deacon ; John
Mair, late deacon ; Forrest Frew, Henr} r Bruce.
Bakers. — Allan Granger, deacon ; John Munro,
late deacon ; David Black.
Skinners. — William Whyte, deacon ; James Paul,
late deacon ; James Wood.
Wrights. — Jas. Thomson, deacon ; Archd. Nairn,
late deacon ; John Brown Bennet.
Coopers. — Alexander H. Stewart, deacon ; George
Dunn, late deacon ; James Watt Macgregor.
Fleshers. — Finlay Bell, deacon; David Anderson,
late deacon ; James Duncan.
Masons. — James Grant, deacon; Peter Shannon,
late deacon ; Robert Taylor.

Images and transcriptions on this page, including medium image downloads, may be used under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence unless otherwise stated. Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence