‹‹‹ prev (869)

(871) next ›››

(870)
98
EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTIONS.
GLASGOW LADIES' COLLEGE.
Established in 1845.
218 Adelaide Place, and 190 Pitt Street.
Lady Superintendent, and nine Governesses.
Principal, F. A. Wolski, of the High School.
English, &c, G. S. Mitchell and J. Hardie.
French, A. L. Finlay of the Glasgow Academy.
German, Professor Koernor.
Geography, G. S. Mitchell and J. Hardie.
Arithmetic, D. C. Maclean.
Writing, D. C. Maclean.
Drawing and Painting, R. Brydall, of the Gov-
ernment School of Art, and C. F. Woolnoth.
Pianoforte, Messrs. Howden, Johnson, Krausse,
Mehul, Moss, and G. M. Smith.
Vocal Music, A. C. Johnson.
Dancing, Martinus Thomson.
Needlework, Governess.
NORMAL SEMINARY.
IN CONNECTION WITH THE FREE CHURCH.
Thomas Morrison, rector ; Rev. Dr. Buchanan,
convener ; W. Kidston, hon. secretary.
Senior Department, J. White and W. Stewart ;
Juvenile, D. B. Hutcheon and A. Walker ; Model
School, W. Sloan ; Initiatory, D. Caughie and M.
Caughie; Industrial Department, Miss Wallace and
Miss Harper ; Middle Class School, J. M'Birnie,
M.D., and J. Johnstone; Mathematical tutor, J.
Kerr, LL.D. ; Lecturer on Geography, &c, A. H.
Dick, D.Sc. ; Master of Method, E. Boyd ; Music
Governess, Miss A. Hood; Lady Superintendent,
Miss Sinclair; French, Mons. Gorecki; Music, J.
M'Lelland; Drawing, A. Banner; j anitor, J. Riddell.
NORMAL INSTITUTION.
IN CONNECTION WITH THE CHURCH OF SCOTLAND.
Rev. Dr. Craik, convener; G. W. Snodgrass,
treasurer ; J. Leitch, rector and correspondent ;
Grace Foulis, matron.
Students' Hall. — Principles of teaching, Religious
Knowledge, Classics, &c, J. Leitch ; E. M. Dixon,
B.Sc, Lecturer on Physical Science and Mathematics;
J. Robertson, Lecturer on History ; E. Calvert,
Lecturer on Geography ; Drawing, A. Banner, from
the Department of Science and Art; Music, W. H.
Lithgow ; Needlework, Grace Foulis.
Practising Schools. — Senior Department, G. Mur-
ray; Second Master, T. Hislop; Junior, J. Stevenson;
Mistress, M. Stevenson ; Initiatory, W. Kirkland ;
Infant School, I. Bain ; Music, W. H. Lithgow ;
Needlework, Grace Foulis ; Drawing, R. Brydall,
from Department of Science and Art; janitor, J.
Cunningham.
THE MAXWELL SCHOOL.
The Lord Provost and Bailies of Glasgow, the
clergyman of St. Andrew's (the Rev. Dr. Gordon),
and the clergyman of St. Mary's (Rev. R. S. Old-
ham), trustees.
Mrs. Blackhurst, late of Preston, left her means
to found and continue an institution in Glasgow,
under the above designation, out of respect to her
first husband, for giving education to poor children,
without regard to sect. The rules contemplated are
that the Bible be publicly read, and no Shorter
Catechism or Calvinistic formula be allowed to be
taught. All the children must attend the churches
which their parents desire.
CALTON, MILE-END, AND BRIDGETON
MECHANICS' INSTITUTION.
46 Canning Street.
J. Millar, president ; G. Wood, J. Hendry, vice-
presidents; J. Finlay, secretary ; T. Potter, treasurer;
J. Rowan, librarian and janitor; W. H. Lithgow,
music class; G. W. Baynham, elocution.
GLASGOW MECHANICS' INSTITUTION.
38 Bath Street.
incorporated by seal of cause.
Robert Napier, vice-patron.
W. M. Neilson, president ; B. Conner, vice-presi-
dent; J. Inglis, treasurer; J. K. Dempster, secretary;
J. Dick, superintendent ; A. Buchanan, curator and
collector of subscriptions.
This institution was founded by the mechanics
of Glasgow, for obtaining instruction in the useful
branches of knowledge, especially those connected with
the arts, and was opened to all classes of the com-
munity on November 5, 1823.
A fee of 8s. entitles to the rank of membership,
to attend the course of Lectures on Chemistry and
Mechanics, and to receive books from the Library,
consisting of upwards of 7400 volumes, chiefly
scientific works. The management is invested in a
committee of nineteen ; sixteen of whom are chosen
by ballot from the members, the remaining three
being selected from the list of honorary councillors.
This institution is in union with the Society of
Arts, London, and the students are entitled to the
privilege of competing for the prizes and certificates
of merit by that Society.
EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTE OF SCOTLAND.
GLASGOW BRANCH.
President, J. Donald, St. Rollox School; treasurer,
K. M. Miller, Ibroxholm Academy ; secretary, D.
Fletcher, 30 Cleveland Street. Committee of man-
agement — A. M'Taggart, Martyr's School; J. Craig,
Glasgow Institution; A. C. Weir; T. Neill, Academy,
Elgin Street; T. Menzies, Hutchesons' Schools; J.
M'Aulay, St. Stephen's Parish School; D. T.
Aitken, Blind Asylum; T. O'Beirne, Annfield School;
J. Noble, Cadder Parish School; Dr. Laing, Ander-
son's University; A. Menzies, Gartsherrie Academy;
W. Bisset, Free Church School, Partick; J. Mavor,
Free St. Matthew's School; David Calderwood,
Thornliebank; Rev. W. Leggatt, Buchanan Institu-
tion ; J. Wylie, Free St. George's School ; R. Ness,
St. Matthew's Parish School.
The meetings are generally held in the High
School on the third Saturday of each month, from
October to May, when lectures are delivered and
matters discussed connected with education. All
interested in the cause of education are invited to
attend.
TRADES SCHOOL.
This school was established in 1808, and affords
a five years' course of instruction in the English and
commercial branches, together with music and scrip-
ture knowledge, to 108 boys and 108 girls, the sons
and daughters of freemen of any of the incorpora-
tions; and the girls are also taught sewing and
knitting.
J. Galloway, head master; second
master; Mrs. Walker, industrial department; J.
Robson, music master; W. Stewart, drawing master.

Images and transcriptions on this page, including medium image downloads, may be used under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence unless otherwise stated. Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence