‹‹‹ prev (865)

(867) next ›››

(866)
94
CHARITABLE AND FRIENDLY INSTITUTIONS.
AGED WOMEN'S SOCIETY.
Instituted 1814.
Mrs. M'Cal], of Ibroxhill, president ; Mrs. Ander-
son, vice-president ; Mrs. Buchanan, 4 Athole Place,
treasurer; Mrs. Pollock, 7 Prince's Street, West,
secretary. This society has for its object the relief
of indigent females above 60 years of age. Before
receiving assistance they are visited at their houses.
Any person subscribing 20s., or 10s. for two years,
is entitled to recommend a pensioner. Seventeen
ladies act as visitors, who, with the office-bearers,
meet, the first Monday of every month, in the Re-
ligious Institution Rooms.
LADIES' AUXILIARY TO THE GLASGOW
MISSION TO THE OUT-DOOR BLIND,
For visiting blind females, and, through means of a
female teacher, teaching them knitting, and providing
work for them. The work of the society is carried
on at a hall at 21 Little Hamilton Street (off North
Frederick Street), which is open daily, from 10 till
4, where all kinds of knitted work done by the blind
are sold, and orders for work taken in. Mrs. Camp-
bell, 6 Claremont Gardens, president ; Miss M. H.
Pagan, 36 Berkeley Terrace, treasurer; Miss Camp-
bell, 19 Newton Place, secretary.
ASYLUM FOR THE BLIND.
102 Castle Street.
Officials, 1869.
President, W. Rae Arthur, the Hon. the Lord
Provost.
Honorary Vice-presidents, the Duke of Montrose,
the Duke of Argyll, Lord Blantyre, R. Dalglish, M.P.,
W. Graham, M.P.
Directors from the Royal Infirmary, P. Playfair, A.
Ronaldson, and Col. D. C. R. C. Buchanan.
From the University, Rev. Dr. Jackson.
From the Town Council, J. Taylor, jun.
From the Merchants' House, J. I. Wright and A.
Neilson.
From the Trades' House, T. Warren, Deacon-
convener ; and J. W. Macgregor.
From the Faculty of Physicians and Surgeons,
Dr. J. Stewart.
From the Ministers of Glasgow, Rev. G. S. Burns.
The following from the Contributors: — A. Orr
Ewing, M.P., J. A. Campbell, W. M'Adam, T. P.
Stewart, P. Walker, W. Brown, R. Lochore, tertius,
W. Collins, and J. Craig.
Treasurer, W. Kerr, 5 Newton Place.
Secretaries, R. Jameson, and R. Jameson, jun.,
150 St. Vincent Street.
Surgeon, Dr. Lapraik ; teacher, D. T. Aitken ;
matron, Miss Rankine ; superintendent, J. Brown.
STIRLINGSHIRE CHARITABLE.
Instituted 6th January, 1809, for the purpose of
affording relief to persons in need who are natives of
Stirlingshire, or their children, resident in Glasgow
or the neighbourhood; or the natives of the shire
travelling through the city, and unexpectedly falling
into distress.
Robt. Balloch, Esq., preses; Councillor W. Taylor,
vice-preses; J. Low, vice-treasurer and secretary.
Directors: R. S. Muir, J. B. Wingate, W. H. Morris,
A. P. Coubrough, J. M'Gregor, J. Morison, T. Kin-
caid, M. Connal, J. King, R. Cassels.
GLASGOW FEMALE BENEVOLENT
SOCIETY.
Committee of management and visitors — Miss
Adam, 12 Holyrood crescent; Mrs. Barnhill, 86
Buccleuch Street ; Miss Croom, 90 Buccleuch Street;
Mrs. Anderson Kirkwood, 12 High Windsor terrace,
west ; Miss Lancaster, 6 Holyrood crescent ; Misses
Lorimer, 6 Woodside place; Mrs. M'Kay, 90 Buc-
cleuch Street ; Miss M. Pattison, 1 Park quadrant ■
Mrs. Kirkwood, secretary and treasurer.
NIGHT ASYLUM FOR THE HOUSELESS
AND HOUSE OF INDUSTRY FOR INDll
GENT FEMALES.
North Frederick Street.
J. Campbell, president; Sir J. Lumsden, J. Blackie,
and J. Goodwin, vice-presidents; J. Brown, jun.,
treasurer ; J. M'Clure, secretary ; Dr. W. M'Gill,
surgeon ; J. M'Whirter, superintendent ; J. M'Lel-
land, clerk. 36 directors.
House of Industry — Miss Kemp, matron.
KINTYRE CLUB.
Instituted 1825.
The objects of the club are, the social and rational
enjoyment of the members ; the relief and support of
decayed and indigent individuals, or families, who
have either been born, or are descendants of parents
born, in Kintyre ; and the encouragement of learning
and industry in that district by educating poor chil-
dren, distributing prizes annually to the various
schools, and awarding bursaries to deserving students.
The preses, directors, treasurer, and secretary, for the
time being, are the patrons of the " Kintyre bursary,"
founded by Robert Ker of Auchinraith in 1862.
The entry money of ordinary members is £3 3s.,
payable either in one sum, or three equal annual
instalments; and honorary members are admitted
for £2 2s.
His Grace the Duke of Argyle, patron ; Dr. John
Pirie, preses; J. N. Fleming, A. M' William, J. H.
Stuart, J. Templeton, W. Gilchrist, and J. Fleming,
directors ; T. Train, Madeira Court, treasurer; H. B.
Lacy, 54 St. Vincent Street, secretary.
THE STABLE GREEN FRIENDLY SOCIETY.
Instituted at Glasgow, 1771.
A. Stirling, 184 New City Road, preses; J. Mac-
kinnon, 127 St. Vincent Street, treasurer; and T.
Maclagan, 12 Warwick Street, secretary.
This society was instituted in 1771, and was
remodelled in 1835, on the principles laid down in
the Highland Society's Report. Its objects are — 1.
Au aliment during sickness, and a superannuation
after sixty-five years of age. 2. An annuity payable
after fifty, fifty-five, sixty, or sixty-five years of age.
3. A funeral allowance at death. To any of these
departments the members pay in proportion to their
ages and the benefits required. Females are admis-
sible to the two latter departments. Each depart-
ment is kept perfectly distinct.
The meetings of this society are held in M'Callum's
Temperance Hotel, 26 Glassford Street. Ordinary
meetings, first Monday in December, March, and
June. — Annual meeting, Glasgow Deacon's choosing
day, from 7 to 8.30 p.m., to receive contributions
and enter new members.

Images and transcriptions on this page, including medium image downloads, may be used under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence unless otherwise stated. Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence