‹‹‹ prev (878)

(880) next ›››

(879)
CHARITABLE AND FRIENDLY IXSTITrTIOXF.
87
LOGA.N AND JOHNSTON SCHOOL.
Founded under tlie wills of the late William
Logan and his spouse, Mrs. Jean Johnston or Loi;an,
for the education, upbringing, and assisting in life of
poor or destitute step-children and orphans of Scot-
tish extraction, those bearing the names of Logan
or Johnston always to be preferred. One hundred
and twelve girls receive a plaia English education,
including reading, writing, and arithmetic, and also
sewing and knitting. Each child receives one suit
of clothing and two pairs of shoes and stockings
yearly, and is provided with some refreshment in the
forenoon of each day when attending .'^chool. Direc-
tors. — From the Town Council, the Hon. the Lord
Provost, Bailies Salmon, Macdonald, & Malhieson ;
from the Merchants' House, the Lord Dean of Guild,
J. B. M'Brayne, J. JI'Laren, and A. Paul; from the
Trades' House, the Deacon Convener, Deacons Broad-
foot, Gilchrist, and Healy. Visitors — M. Connal
and T. Warren. Lady Superintendent — Mias C. A.
Lamont. Secretary — Mr. H. Bruce, 77 Kentield st.
ASSOCIATION OF DEACONS OF THE FOUR-
TEEM INCORPORATED TRADES OF GL.AS-
GOW.
Entry money, £1 Is. ; present capital, £280, the
Interest of which is apportioned amongst decayed
members. Deacon J. Duncan, chairman ; Deacon
J. Mair, treasurer; Deacon W. Smith, late chair-
man; Deacon J. Baird, late treasurer; directors —
Deacons M. Paterson, W. Steele, \V. Caldwell, R.
Craig, W. Kidston, J. Broadfoot, W. Austin, W.
Murray, and W. King ; and Visitors W. Scott and
Franc Gibb Dougall. Deacon H. Bruce, clerk, 77
IJenlield street.
GROCERS' EARLY CLOSING ASSOCIATION.
Office-bearers for 1871-72.
J. Ewing, president ; D. Laird, G. Walker, vice-
presidents; li. Arnott, J'21 Trongate, secietary ; A.
C. M'Inlyre, 154 West Nile street, treasurer.
The objects of this association are the furtherance
of the Early Closing Movement, and the promotion
of the literary and mental powers of its members.
Meeting Rooms, Diummond's Temperance Hotel,
G9 Union Street.
M' ALPINE'S MORTIFICATION.
Founded in 1811 by Mrs. M'Alpine, who conveyed
to trustees her property for the maintenance of poor
men and women of the description given in her will
— the former receiving annually £10, and the latter
£5. The trustees are, the Deacon Convener and
ihe Ministers of eight of the Established Churches.
D. & A. Cuthbertson, Provan, & Strong, factors,
110 West George Street.
GLASGOW SAINT ANDREW SOCIETY.
Instituted 1854:.
Dr. Calderwood, president; F. G. Dougall, vice-
president : J. Wight, hon. secretary ; directors, R.
M'Tear, Col. Dreghorn, W. Burns, Bailie Morrison,
.). White, W. Stevenson, J. Smith, J. Lorimer.
The object of this society is for the purpose of
preserving Scottish memories, and therebv cultivat-
ing the sentiments of patriotism. Members proposed
tor admissicm may receive the necessary forms from
the hon. secretary at 160 Hope Street.
GLASGOW THISTLE AND ROSE SOCIETY.
Members under ."0, on joining this society, pay £4
of entry money, either at once or in four quarterly
instalments of £1 each, and 6s. per quarter of con-
tributions thereafter. Those above 30 pay a propor-
tionately higher entry money, according to the age
at which they enter. Jlemberswho have been three
years in the society receive, when unwell, aliment at
the following rates : — If confined to bed or unable to
walk abroad, £1 per week for first twelve months,
and 15s. per week thereafter; if walking about, but
unable to attend employment, 15s. for first twelve
months, and 10s. per week thereafter. At the de-
cease of a member his representatives receive £10
10s. as a funeral allowance.
C. (Jrant, 4 Queen's Terrace, president; T. Gem-
mell, 115 Candleriggs, treasurer; A. Mitchell, jun.,
and A. Mutiro, directors, ex-officiis ; G. Black, 8S
West Regent Street, secretary; Dr. A. Paterson,
28 London Street, surgeon; \V. Kirkwood, officer.
BUCHANAN SOCIETY.
J. Buchanan, 10 JInray Place, Edinburgh, preses ;
J. Buchanan, hanker, Glasgovv, Dr. G. Buchanan,
surgeon, Glasgow, A. Buchanan of Auchentorlie,
Dumbartonshire, J. Buchanan, Briiigo of Allan, W.
Buchanan, of Drumpellier, T. G. Buchanan, of Scots-
ton, A. B. YuiUe, of Darleith, directors ; G. S.
Buchanan, 95 Candleri|-gs, treasurer; G. Y. S.
Watkins, writer, ISG W. George Street, secretary.
GLASGOW CAITHNESS BENEVOLENT
SOCIETY.
J. Pender, Esq., ?^1.P., Minard, patron ; G. Suther-
land, Esq., Forse, Latheron, vice-patron; D. Smith,
Esq., 158 West Regent Street, president; D. S.
Henderson, Esq., 1(11 Sauchiehall Street, vice-
president; J. Elder, Esq., 151 Hope St., treasurer
G. Sinclair, Esq., 280 St. Vincent Street, secreiari- .
Blessrs. W. Falconer, J. Miller, J. Bannerman, G ,
P.I'Donald, W. M'Kay, W. Cormack, J. Ferguson'"
W. Campbell, D. Calder, J. R. Sutherland, A. Gow
J. Sutherland, directors.
INSTITUTION FOR THE EDUCATION OF
THE DEaF AND DUMB.
His Grace the Duke of Argyll, patron ; the Right
Hon. the Earl of Eglinton and Winton, president;
Hon. the Lord Provost, Principal Barclay, M. Dal-
glish, E^q, M.P., J. Jamieson, Esq, Sir A. Orr, W.
Euing, Esq., P. Clouston, Esq., Rev. Dr. Smith,
Cathcart, vice-presidents ; W. Kerr, A. Hannay, D.
Y. Stewart, W. Galbraith, W. M'Onie, G. Thoinson,
G. Smith, W. Millar, W. Paterson, A. Arthur, A.
Whitelaw, D. M'Cowan, Rev. Dr. W. C. Smith, Rev.
Dr. J. Logan Aikman, Rev. D. Macleod, J. Watson,
Rev. Dr. Jamieson, Rev. J. M. JIaynard, Sir Peter
Coats, J. iluir, directors; B. Blacgeorge, 16 St.
Vincent Place, secretary; D. Macmaster, 71 Queen
Street, treasurer ; Dr. T. M'Call Anderson, 1 Wood-
side Crescent, consulting physician ; Dr. E. Duncan,
3 Brougham Terrace, Queen's Park, surgeon; J.
Thomson, teacher; Mrs. Thomson, matron; Miss
Ritchie, assistant matron ; R. Docherty, Alexander
M'Gregoi, assistant teachers; J. Campbell, 14 Falk-
land Place, 'drawing master.

Images and transcriptions on this page, including medium image downloads, may be used under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence unless otherwise stated. Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence