The Word on the Street
home | background | illustrations | distribution | highlights | search & browse | resources | contact us

Broadside eulogy dedicated to Patrick, Earl of Marchmount, Sir Hugh Dalrymple, and others


This tribute was written by Robert Monteith, and is dedicated to 'Patrick, Earl of Marchmount, Lord High Chancellar of the kingdom of Scotland'; 'Sir Hugh Dalrymple of North-Berwick, Lord President'; and 'to the remanent Lords, ordinary and extraordinary, senators of the colledge of justice'. The first verse of the eulogy begins: 'Cretians and Grecians were deemed were, to be / Liars , of old, by antient poesie; / But Greek Phocylides speaks lofty Truth, / With Precepts grave, instucting florid Youth.' Although no date is included, this sheet is likely to have been published in the early eighteenth century.

Written in a lofty and epic style, this eulogy pays tribute to two famous Scots: Patrick Hume, First Earl of Marchmont (1641-1724), and Sir Hugh Dalrymple, Lord of Drummore (1700-53). As both men were opponents of the Stewart family and the Catholic faith, it is likely that this broadside is an example of Protestant propaganda. Hume and Dalrymple were also strong supporters of the Act of Union of 1707, between the Scottish and English parliaments. Dalrymple is also famous for inventing hollow-pipe drainage, which allowed waterlogged land to be dried, thereby increasing agricultural production.

Broadsides are single sheets of paper, printed on one side, to be read unfolded. They carried public information such as proclamations as well as ballads and news of the day. Cheaply available, they were sold on the streets by pedlars and chapmen. Broadsides offer a valuable insight into many aspects of the society they were published in, and the National Library of Scotland holds over 250,000 of them.

previous pageprevious          
Probable date published: 1705   shelfmark: S.302.b.2(081)
Broadside eulogy dedicated to Patrick, Earl of Marchmount, Sir Hugh Dalrymple, and others
View larger image

NLS home page   |   Digital gallery   |   Credits

National Library of Scotland © 2004

National Library of Scotland