Dalkeith Castle ('Glamms House')

Although the prospect is entitled 'Glamms House' (Glamis Castle in the Highlands), it later turned out to be Dalkeith Castle in Midlothian.

The building started life as a castle in the 1100s, and was transformed in 1570s to Dalkeith Palace. There was substantial rebuilding work in the 18th century, which changed it beyond recognition from the castle which John Slezer's prospect shows.

This plate was intended for Slezer's unpublished volume, The Ancient and Present state of Scotland. It was not included in Theatrum Scotiae until the 1719 edition.

view / zoom large image  |  help

Slezer Engraving

enquiries / copies


Back to top   NLS Home | Digital gallery