Brechin - 'The Prospect of ye Town of Brechin'

This view is from the south, across the South Esk river. The Brechin skyline is dominated by the tall spire of the cathedral church, dating from 1150. Beside it is a great circular tower, which dates from around AD 1000 and is part of an earlier church. In front of them on a crag above the river is Brechin Castle, a royal stronghold for nearly 300 years.

Image from Theatrum Scotiae by John Slezer, 1693.

view / zoom large image  |  help

Slezer Engraving

enquiries / copies

view related town plans

  Read what Robert Sibbald wrote in Theatrum Scotiae about Brechin


To the Right Honourable James Earl of Panmure, Lord Maule, Brechen and Navarr, &c.


Brechen is a Town situated upon the Banks of the Water of Southesk, in the Shire of Angus; and is a Bishop's See. Here is a Stately Bridge over the River Esk, consisting of Two Arches. It is a considerable Market-Town for Salmon, Horses, Oxen and Sheep. Here also are to be seen the Ruins of the Bishop's Palace, and of the Canons Houses. Brechen likewise is famous for the memorable Slaughter of the Danes, not far from it.

Who was Robert Sibbald?

Back to top   NLS Home | Digital gallery