Inverness - 'The Prospect of ye Town of Innerness'

Here Slezer shows us Inverness – or 'Innerness' – from hills to the north of the town. The entire town is in the picture, including the castle, plus the countryside, the River Ness and, in the distance, the Black Isle.

In the foreground is farmland, together with farmhands and horses, and figures are making their way on the road into town. The bridge across the river, just visible among the buildings on the left below the castle hill, was built in Slezer's time.

Image from Theatrum Scotiae by John Slezer, 1693.

Previous   |   Index   |   Next

view / zoom large image  |  help

Slezer Engraving


enquiries / copies


view related town plans


  Read what Robert Sibbald wrote in Theatrum Scotiae about Inverness


Inverness

To the Right Honourable John Lord Stranever, Eldest Son to the Earl of Sutherland, Hereditary Sheriff, Lord of Regality, Admiral of Sutherland and the rest of those Seas, Colonel of a Regiment of Infantry; and One of their Majesties Most Honourable Privy Council.

Invernesse

The head Town of the Sheriffdom of Invernesse, and the Sheriff's Seat, where he keeps his Court. It is most commodiously situated on the South side of the Water of Nesse, on the very Brink of the River, a fit Place for entertaining Commerce with the neighbouring Places.

Of old it was the Seat of the Kings of Scotland, and has a Castle standing on a pleasant Hill, having a large Prospect into the circumjacent Fields and Town.

Near the Castle, there is lately a Bridge built over the Water of Nesse, consisting of Severn Arches all of hewen Work.

It hath a Harbour fit for smaller Vessels. As also two Churches, the one for the English, and the other for the Irish.

Who was Robert Sibbald?

Back to top   NLS Home | Digital gallery