Dryburgh - 'The Ruines of the Abbey of Dryburgh'
This is another of Slezer's composite prospects, using two or more drawings from different parts of the Dryburgh Abbey ruins.
The original abbey church was established on this spot in 1150, though the building was damaged and restored several times in its history. In 1544 it was destroyed by English troops, and has been left in ruins ever since. In recent centuries, the north transept - the vaulted section shown here on the left - has become the last resting place of Sir Walter Scott and Field Marshall Haig.
Figures Slezer has added to this scene are the most elaborately dressed in all his prospects. They include children as well as adults – and a dog.
To the Right Honourable John Earl of Arroll, Lord Hay and Slains, &c. Lord High Constable of Scotland.
The Abbey of Drybrugh is situate upon the Bank of the River Tweede, in Tivedale. 'Twas founded by Hugh de Morvill, High Constable of the Kingdom of Scotland, for the Monks of the Order of Premontre.