Dunkeld - 'The Prospect of the town of Dunkeld'

This rural scene shows Dunkeld surrounded by river, woods and mountains. The main buildings in the Perthshire town are Dunkeld House, at that time the main residence of the Dukes of Atholl, and Dunkeld Cathedral. On the far left is a fairly large windmill. Slezer made his Dunkeld drawing from Birnam hill. Crossing the River Tay are a number of small boats.

Image from Theatrum Scotiae by John Slezer, 1693.

Previous   |   Index   |   Next

view / zoom large image  |  help

Slezer Engraving

enquiries / copies

view related town plans

See also:

  Read what Robert Sibbald wrote in Theatrum Scotiae about Montrose


To the Right Honourable James Marquess of Montross, Earl of Kincardin, Lord Graham and Mugdock, &c.


A Town in the Shire of Angus, so called (as some think) from Moinross, which in the ancient British Language signifies a Fennish Promontory, and was of old called Celurra.

This Town is situated at the mouth of the River of Southesk, on the North side of it. It hath a Harbour for Ships of a considerable Burthen, and has frequent correspondence with Foreigners; being adorned with find Buildings of all sorts, and has an Hospital for the poorer Inhabitants.

It gives the Title of Marquess of that Name to the chief of the Family of the Grahams.

Who was Robert Sibbald?

Back to top   NLS Home | Digital gallery