Montrose - 'The Prospect of the town of Montrose'

The spire of Montrose Parish Church rises above all else in this view of Montrose from the west. From the vantage point of a hill, Slezer's prospect also takes in the approach to Montrose harbour - Montrose Basin - and the channel connecting it to the North Sea, complete with sailing ships. Visible in the centre of the engraving is the town's windmill. Between the windmill and the church you can just see the spire of the Tolbooth.

Image from Theatrum Scotiae by John Slezer, 1693.

Previous   |   Index   |   Next

view / zoom large image  |  help

Slezer Engraving

enquiries / copies

view related town plans

  Read what Robert Sibbald wrote in Theatrum Scotiae about Montrose


To the Right Honourable James Marquess of Montross, Earl of Kincardin, Lord Graham and Mugdock, &c.


A Town in the Shire of Angus, so called (as some think) from Moinross, which in the ancient British Language signifies a Fennish Promontory, and was of old called Celurra.

This Town is situated at the mouth of the River of Southesk, on the North side of it. It hath a Harbour for Ships of a considerable Burthen, and has frequent correspondence with Foreigners; being adorned with find Buildings of all sorts, and has an Hospital for the poorer Inhabitants.

It gives the Title of Marquess of that Name to the chief of the Family of the Grahams.

Who was Robert Sibbald?

Back to top   NLS Home | Digital gallery