Musselburgh - 'The Coast of Lothian from Stony hill'

Slezer's view from Stonyhill shows the spread of the East Lothian town of Musselburgh and the suburb of Fisherrow to its left. The tall building on the right is that of Inveresk Church. Along the Lothian coast are the villages of Prestonpans and Longniddry. The highest peak in far distance is North Berwick Law. Rabbits in the foreground indicate Stony Hill's earlier use as a monastery rabbit warren.

As in other drawings, the 'characters' Slezer has added aren't quite in proportion to the rest of the image. The Stonyhill rabbits are some size!

Image from Theatrum Scotiae by John Slezer, 1693.

Previous   |   Index   |   Next

view / zoom large image  |  help

Slezer Engraving

enquiries / copies

view related town plans

Back to top   NLS Home | Digital gallery