Further reading (with National Library shelfmarks)
- Bolton, H Philip, 'Plays from Sir Walter Scott's Narrative Poems and Novels for which playbills exist in the National Library of Scotland' [National Library shelfmark: H8.86.646]
- Dibdin, James C, 'Annals of the Edinburgh Stage', Edinburgh, 1888 [Shelfmark: TheC.28]
- Findlay, Bill (ed.), 'A History of Scottish Theatre', Edinburgh, 1998 [Shelfmark: TheC.28.F]
- Mackenzie, Donald, 'Scotland's first national theatre', Edinburgh, 1963 [Shelfmark: TheC.28.M]
- 'Sketch of the history of the Edinburgh Theatre-Royal, prepared for this evening of its final closing, May 25, 1859', Edinburgh, 1859 [Shelfmark: 3.1697(4)]
- Worth, Christopher, ' "A very nice Theatre at Edinr.": Sir Walter Scott and Control of the Theatre Royal', 'Theatre Research International 17', no. 2 (1992), 86-95 [Shelfmark: HJ4.1937]
- Lawson, Robb, 'The story of the Scots stage', Paisley, 1917 [Shelfmark: TheC.16]
- Peter, Bruce, 'Scotland's splendid theatres', Edinburgh, 1999 [Shelfmark: TheC.28.P]
- A collection of pamphlets on the establishment of the Theatre Royal in 1767 [Shelfmark: RB.l.46]
Theatres and theatre companies
- Traverse Theatre. The Traverse focuses on new writing and the development of contemporary theatre in Scotland. An informative and up-to-date website.
- Festival / King's Theatres. What's on at two of Edinburgh's leading theatres. Allows you to book online.
- Bedlam Theatre. The home of Edinburgh University Theatre Company, and a well-known Edinburgh venue for smaller productions.
- Royal Lyceum. Includes a history of this prestigious theatre and company, and provides current information about performances.
- Royal Shakespeare Company. Information about one of Britain's most famous touring theatre companies.
- Scottish Theatre Archive. Part of Glasgow University's department of Special Collections, the Scottish Theatre Archive is a centre for theatre research. The site provides an expanding catalogue of the documents in the archive.
- Theatre Royal, Edinburgh, Scotland
- The WWW Virtual Library: Theatre and Drama.