Skip to main content

‹‹‹ prev (275) Page 267Page 267

(277) next ››› Page 269Page 269

(276) Page 268 -
  
  CLOVULIN
  an inn, and the Tweed vineries, a splendid establish-
  ment heated by 5 miles of hot-water pipes, and yielding
  yearly 15,000 lbs. of grapes. John Leyden was school-
  master here in 1792; Scott often came hither in the
  fishing season; and Wordsworth and his sister Dorothy
  here passed the night of 18 Sept. 1803.
  Clovulin, a village in the district and 1 mile WSW
  of the village of Ardgour, N Argyllshire, near the W
  shore of Loch Linnhe.
  Clow, a burn in Pettinain parish, Lanarkshire, run-
  ning to the Clyde.
  Cloy, a burn on the E side of Arran, Buteshire. It
  rises at 14S0 feet above sea-level, and runs 4 miles NE
  and N by W to a confluence with the Shurtg and Rosie
  Burns, their united waters entering Brodick Bay J mile
  further N.
  Cluany, Loch. See Clt/nie.
  Cluden, a small river of Kirkcudbright and Dumfries
  shires. It is formed by the confluence of the Cairn
  and Old "Water of Cluden, close to the beautiful Routing
  Bridge, on the mutual boundary of Kirkpatriok-Irongray
  parish in Kirkcudbrightshire, and Holywood in Dum-
  friesshire, 6 J miles WFW of Dumfries by road. Thence
  it winds 6g miles east-south-eastward along the boundary
  between the shires, and falls into the ' sweeping Nith '
  at Lincluden, 1J mile N by ¥ of Dumfries. It figures
  in our pastoral poetry as 'lonely Cluden's hermit stream,'
  but nevertheless has a soft and lovely character, con-
  nected rather with fields and woods and lawns than
  sheepwalks. It contains large yellow trout and a few
  pike ; and is ascended by salmon, grilse, sea-trout,
  and herlings. Its salmon are a distinct variety from
  those of the Nith, thicker and shorter in the body,
  much shorter in the head, and generally of a darker
  hue.— Ord. Sur., sh. 9, 1863.
  Cluden, Old Water of. See Old Water.
  Cluggy. See Castlecluggy.
  Clumlee, a hamlet and a headland in the E of Dun-
  rossness parish, Shetland, 17 miles SSW of Lerwick.
  Clune, an estate in the E of Carnock parish, Fife, 2J
  miles WNW of Dunfermline. It contains Balclune and
  Easter Clune hamlets ; and includes rising grounds
  which command magnificent views.
  Clunes, a station in Kirkhill parish, N Inverness-
  shire, on the Highland railway, 7-J miles W by N of
  Inverness. Near it is Clunes mansion.
  Clunie (Gael, cluaine, ' place of the good pasture '),
  a parish in Stormont district, NE Perthshire, whose
  church, on the W shore of the Loch of Clunie, is 5J
  miles W by S of the post-town, Blairgowrie, and which
  contains the post-office hamlet of Forneth. It is bounded
  N by Kirkmichael, E by Blairgowrie, Kinloch, and
  Caputh, SW by Caputh, W by Caputh and Dowally-
  Dunkeld, NW by Logierait. fn 1891 the Gourdie de-
  tached portion of the parish (649 acres) was transferred
  by the Boundary Commissioners to the parish of Caputh,
  while the Cairns portion of Caputh parish (414 acres)
  was transferred to Clunie parish. By another trans-
  ference to Clunie parish from the parish of Caputh, of
  'so much of the latter as lies to the north-east of the
  western march of the estate of Gourdie,' the Essendy
  detached portion was united to the main portion of
  Clunie. Baden Burn, rising on Meall Dubh, flows 2
  miles SSE through the southern interior, then 2J miles
  along the Blairgowrie boundary, which for lj mile
  more is traced by Lornty Bum, flowing If mile ESE
  through Clunie from Loch Benachally. Buckny Burn,
  again, runs 2 miles S and W along the western border,
  and through the interior to the Lunan, which itself
  winds 3 miles ESE through the southern division of the
  Earish to the Loch of Clunie, next 1} mile E of the
  loch of Drumallie. The Loch of Clunie, in shape re-
  sembling a triangle with southward apex, has an equal
  utmost leDgth and breadth of 5 furlongs, is 84 feet deep,
  and contains pike, perch, trout, and eels; Loch Ben-
  achally (7 x 3 J furl.) is the other chief sheet of water.
  The surface sinks in the furthest S to 230, in the SE to
  195 feet above sea-level; thence rising northward to
  653 feet on the Craig of Clunie. a romantic mass of trap
  268
  CLUNY
  rock, and to 560 near Stars of Forneth, 1045 on Arlick,
  1594 on Benachally, 1692 at Craig Wood, and 1775
  on Meall Dubh, which culminates right on the Kirk-
  michael boundary. Granite, quartz, sandstone, and lime-
  stone are plentiful; and a fine blue slate, copper pyrites,
  and sulphate of barytes are found. Mineral springs are
  at Milton of Clunie, and a little to the E of Bogmile.
  The soil of the arable land is generally light and
  gravelly, but yields good crops. Nearly 3000 acres are
  either regularly or occasionally in tillage, and hundreds
  of acres, waste not long ago, are covered now with thriv-
  ing plantations of larch and Scotch pine. A number ol
  cairns have disappeared, but part of the Picts' Dyke is
  traceable near Buckny Burn; near the church is a
  standing stone; and eight parallel mounds and trenches,
  known as the Steeds' Stalls, and said to have been
  formed by an advanced guard of the Caledonian host to
  watch the movements of the invading Romans, are on
  the SE slope of Gourdie Hill. On a large green knoll,
  too, 50 feet high, to the W of the Loch of Clunie, are
  vestiges of a ' summer palace or hunting-seat of Kenneth
  Macalpin,' according to the Old Statistical; and on an
  islet in the loch itself are the ruins of Clunie Castle.
  The islet, half an acre in extent, is evidently artificial,
  a crannoge probably or lake-dwelling; the castle, with
  walls 9 feet in thickness, is said to have been built by
  George Brown, Bishop of Dunkeld from 1485 to 1514,
  to have been a residence of the Earls of Airlie, and to
  have been the birthplace of the Admirable Crichton
  (1560-83). The last it certainly was not, for he was
  born at Eliock in Dumfriesshire ; possibly, however,
  part of his boyhood was spent in this parish, where his
  father purchased an estate. The Clunie estate, which
  includes the loch, was purchased in 1892 from the Earl
  AMie at £22,000 by Mr Wm. Cox of Lochee, owner of
  the adjacent estate of Snaigow. Clunie is in the pres-
  bytery of Dunkeld and synod of Perth and Stirling;
  the living is worth £182. The parish church, rebuilt
  in 1840, is a good Gothic structure, with a tower and
  600 sittings; a Free church stands in the Essendy
  section. A public school, with accommodation for 141
  children, had (1891) an average attendance of 94, and a
  grant of £100, 17s. 6d. Valuation (1891) £6S57, 14s. 6d.
  Pop. (1801) 913, (1831) 944, (1861) 699, (1871) 603,
  (1881) 582, (1891) iS9.— Ord. Sur., sh. 56, 1870.
  Clunie, a loch of Glenshiel and Urquhart parishes,
  on the mutual boundary of Ross and Inverness shires,
  16 miles W by N of Fort Augustus. Lying 606 feet
  above sea-level, it has a length from W to E of 4|
  miles, whilst its width varies between 1 furlong and \
  mile. At its head it receives the river Clunie, flowing
  4| miles eastward, and at its foot sends off the river
  Moriston to Loch Ness; its northern shore is skirted
  by Wade's military road from Fort Augustus to In-
  vershiel, and also, closer, by the more modern road
  thither from Invermoriston. A dreary, featureless lake,
  but one that affords good trout-fishing. — Ord. Sur., sh.
  72, 1880.
  Clunie Water, a stream of Crathie and Braemar parish,
  SW Aberdeenshire, formed by two head-streams, Bad-
  doch Burn and Allt Bhruididh, which rise at 2500 feet
  above sea-level, close to the Perthshire and Forfarshire
  borders. Thence it runs 7 miles north-by-eastward
  along rocky Glen Clunie, and falls into the Dee, 1 mile
  below Castleton of Braemar. Its chief affluent is
  Callatjer Burn. The Queen's ' last expedition ' with
  the Prince Consort (16 Oct. 1861) lay up Glen Clunie.—
  Ord. Sur., sh. 65, 1870.
  Cluny, a parish of Aberdeenshire, whose church stands
  2 miles SSW of Monymusk station on the Alford Valley
  railway, this being 20.? miles NW of Aberdeen,_ with
  which it communicates daily by coach. The parish of
  Cluny had a detached part separated from the remainder
  of the parish by an intervening portion of the parish
  of Midmar. In 1891 the Boundary Commissioners
  effected an exchange of territory between these parishes,
  with the result of connecting tho detached part of
  Cluny with the main portion of the parish, and of
  transferring to Midmar an intrusivo peninsula of tha

Images and transcriptions on this page, including medium image downloads, may be used under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence unless otherwise stated. Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence