Setting up a new life
For hundreds of years, Scots have left their homeland to set up a new life overseas.
Here we tell six stories of emigration from Scotland between the 1770s and the 1930s:
- Flora MacDonald – of 'Bonnie Prince Charlie' fame – and her husband Allan from Skye
- John and Mary Salmond from Montrose
- John and Martha Kerr from Dalry
- Peter Hastie from Edinburgh
- Alexander MacArthur from Nairn
- George Anderson from Innerleithen
- George and Jane Oliver from Hawick.
Original letters and journals
Using letters, journals, official documents, photographs and maps from the National Library of Scotland's archives, we piece together a picture of Scots abroad.