|home | background | illustrations | distribution | highlights | search & browse | resources | contact us|
Broadside entitled 'The Wife's Commandments'
The Wife's Commandments.
1. I am thy wife, and the sole mistress of thy house; thou shalt
2. Thou shalt not interfere with the hire of thy housemaids, nor
3. Thou shalt not call thy wife careless nor extravagant, nor vainly
4. Remember the seventh day to stop at home and mind the house
5. Thou shalt honour the father and! mother of thy wife, in all
6. Thou shalt not fly into a passion with thy wife for the loss of
7. There shall be no Platonic friendship between thee and any woman
8. Thou shalt not go security for any man, nor deprive thy wife of
9. Thou shalt not condemn thy wife's friends nor her neighbours,
10. Thou shalt not frequent the house of thy neighbour who is a
L. Macartney, The Poet's Box, 184 Overgate, Dundee.
Probable date of publication:
1906- shelfmark: RB.m.143(065)