The Bartholomew Archive
In this section you will find:
- Quick access to the Bartholomew Archive inventories
- Additional reference material associated with the Bartholomew Archive
- Links to newsletters and magazines with related articles.
This page is of particular value to researchers who need direct access to the archive inventories. If you are less familiar with these resources, visit our Contents and access page for more information.
Bartholomew Archive inventories
This list provides direct access to the Bartholomew Archive inventories.
The business records inventory contains all records created by the Bartholomew firm. Maps and atlases and copper plates are listed separately.
- Business records inventory (PDF: 144 pages; 365 KB)
- List of Bartholomew Archive maps and plans (PDF: 62 pages; 165 KB)
- Printing Record catalogue search
- Copper plate inventory
Contour layer colouring
Two interactive Bartholomew resources (new from December 2012) use half-inch maps with colour layering:
Dating Bartholomew maps
Typical of cartographic publishers, the Bartholomew firm rarely printed publication dates on its maps. Because of this it is often necessary to look for other clues. 'A brief guide to dating Bartholomew maps' (PDF: 3 pages; 14KB) offers valuable help with this.
The document was written by former Bartholomew Librarian and Map Curator Ken Winch. Since his departure, some of the contact details referred to have changed:
- You can consult items from the Bartholomew Archive in our Maps Reading Room
- The Bartholomew office is now part of Collins Bartholomew
- For further information and contact details, visit our Bartholomew family and firm useful links section.
'Cairt', the newsletter of the Scottish Maps Forum
- 'The Duncan Street Explorer', p.1-2, and 'Bartholomew Archive creative residencies’, pp. 4-5 'Cairt' Issue 23 (July 2013) (PDF: 1.6 MB; 8 pages)
- 'Bartholomew Archive update', p.4, 'Cairt' Issue 21 (July 2012) (PDF: 1.6 MB; 8 pages)
- 'The location that wasn’t: The story of Bartholomew and Grange Loan', pp 6-7, 'Cairt' Issue 19 (July 2011) (PDF: 952 KB; 8 pages)
- 'Bartholomew Archive update', p.3, 'Cairt' Issue 18 (January 2011) (PDF: 1.45 MB; 8 pages)
- 'Bartholomew Archive update', p.6, 'Cairt' Issue 17 (July 2010) (PDF: 350 KB; 8 pages)
- 'Bartholomew Archive update', p.7, and 'Conceptual advertising at John Bartholomew and Son, Ltd', pp 6-7, 'Cairt' Issue 15 (July 2009) (PDF: 1 MB; 8 pages)
- 'Bartholomew Archive update', p.4, 'Cairt' Issue 14 (January 2009) (PDF: 1.6 MB; 8 pages)
'Discover NLS', the National Library of Scotland's magazine
- 'The world at their fingertips', p.22 'Discover NLS' Issue 22 (Winter 2012) (PDF: 2.2 MB; 26 pages)
- 'Just three questions – Old Spice', p.22 'Discover NLS' Issue 20 (Winter 2011) (PDF: 1.9 MB: 30 pages)
- 'Curator’s choice', pp.12-13, 'Discover NLS' Issue 19 (Summer 2011) (PDF: 2 MB: 26 pages)
- 'Not just black and white', p. 11, 'Discover NLS' Issue 15 (Spring 2010) (PDF: 1.8 MB; 25 pages )
- 'The man behind the map', pp.20-23, 'Discover NLS' Issue 12 (Summer 2009) (PDF: 1.6 MB; 27 pages) – text version of 'The man behind the map'
Top of page